Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

No I still went to games, found it harder to not know what was going on with Munster if someone asked. The fear of being distanced from it outweighed the jealousy watching the lads perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hi Johnny, thanks for doing this.

In that game against Leinster, April 2016 you were superb. As a Leinster fan I appreciated we were playing a guy who all the skills, and all the smarts to be a ten, even though you were relatively inexperienced at that level.

So what is it that makes an outhalf good? Control, management, skills? Did you ever seriously play anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No I still went to games, found it harder to not know what was going on with Munster if someone asked. The fear of being distanced from it outweighed the jealousy watching the lads perform.

That's interesting. How difficult so was it to accept retirement and move out of the group dynamic?

PearlJ wrote: »
    Is the only way to play professional rugby to play schools rugby or can you get there through club rugby?

My son has potential and wants to take it further but the schools system is completely out of our reach financially.
    Don't feel the pressure to go to a school. A lot of good rugby players took the clubs route. In my opinion it makes the player hungrier and more determined to succeed. Could be the making of him in the long run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thanks for doing this Johnny.

Couple of questions: Best player you played with, at any level?

Toughest opponent/who gave you the most problems?

Finally, do players read or pay any heed to social media, online forums, press, etc? How do they deal with online bullying or unfair criticism?

Bonus question: Fancy modding the rugby forum? :D

• Advertisement

Did you ever have a crack at Rugby League?
    Not sure I'm tough enough for that! :D Good game to watch though

BDJW wrote: »
    Do you think the IRFU should put more focus on the AIL? It will never reach the highs it used to be at, but so many of the golden era of Munster rugby (and to a lesser extent the other provinces) came through it, it seems such a shame that what is generally very entertaining rugby is very neglected. It was what I was brought up on, and have very fond memories of AIL games that had thousands of supporters as opposed to the couple of hundred at games these days
    I understand the conundrum more that most having been on either side of it. Very beneficial for players when they are allowed to play consistently, very hard to play intermittently. When you're in the academy you're trying to learn the way your province are playing, with different coaches and coaching points. And you want to play the A games that are available. But players need to learn their values in the AIL as well. I'd love to see more pros playing in the AIL, hopefully they'll be allowed to in the next season or two. (I think there are proposals for restructure).

Were there any players you dreaded going up against?
    Any strong, low running 12! Bundee Aki - he could step or run straight. Got a couple of bangs from him!

Kenny B wrote: »
    How far do you think you could have gone, You looked comfortable and confident as you played.

Did you see yourself as a potential International?

or where were your ambitions? - Pro 14 Regular, Euro Cup Regular, Irish International, Lions or a Pro rugby player wherever you could get it.

and Lastly would you have swapped the Red for Blue if Leinster came calling?
    I looked more comfortable than I was I'd say but I was gunning for the next season. The way selections went in the November series and last June I think I'd have had a good chance. If you're not ambitious that way you'll never get there. You realise when fellas around you get opportunities that you're not far away. I didn't get to the stage to take the Lions dream seriously, but in my head I thought of it! :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I looked more comfortable than I was I'd say but I was gunning for the next season. The way selections went in the November series and last June I think I'd have had a good chance. If you're not ambitious that way you'll never get there. You realise when fellas around you get opportunities that you're not far away. I didn't get to the stage to take the Lions dream seriously, but in my head I thought of it! :D

Did you ever have conversations with Joe Schmidt? Does he actually interact with players who were at your stage of development, i.e. just breaking through into the senior team?

• Advertisement

No problem!
    I haven't heard of it but don't listen to fad diets. Fad diets sell, for a small while. There's nothing sexy about consistency and sustainability but it's the way forward. If you need to use a diet guideline to be adherent then that's what works for you but there's nothing magic about it - they're normally just a tool to achieve a calorie deficit. I'll definitely be looking into it.

awec wrote: »
    How do you keep yourself fit? The injury must limit the exercise you can do?
    It limits me alright. I love doing weights, have to stop myself from going to the gym. Running is my biggest issue but I've dabbled in some 5 a side and tag rugby ( pulled a hamstring :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Biscuit or cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Good man, Thanks,

We saw how lucky(talented) Carberry was to be involved against NZ in Chicago and acquitted himself brilliantly, I've no doubt it would have been a toss up were you still available at the time.

Good luck for the future.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Fair play to you doing this.

How often as a pro do you get tested for PEDs? And would that differ from an international playing regularly? (and no I'm not Kimmage)

Just wondering since there seems to be a bit of noise about what some southern hemisphere (not saying us northern hemisphere residents are angels) players do recreationally.
    I've never been tested, even when I was injured for a year. That's a prime time to get experimental (I clearly didn't haha). Internationals get tested a lot. The testers will come and ask for them specifically, they have to notify them when they're out of the country on holidays etc. If you're trying to take PEDs as an international it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Was CTE ever a worry for you or was it ever discussed amongst your teammates?

Do you have a bedside Locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

What 1 thing would you recommend to the IRFU in encourage Kids to take up rugby opposed to GAA?
    I do. Everything and anything. A rejection letter from the Irish under 18s. Man United "50 Fabulous Finishes" video. Sleeping mask. Books. Rubbish.

I don't know. I'd prefer to encourage kids to play everything and let them choose themselves. What would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What was the hardest hit you ever took? And who gave it?!

What's your opinion on foam rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Whats your opinion on the residency rule? Also, Whats you stance of the "unwritten rule" that if you play abroad you are ruled out of Int scene e.g. Zebo?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hi Johnny, thanks for doing this.

In that game against Leinster, April 2016 you were superb. As a Leinster fan I appreciated we were playing a guy who all the skills, and all the smarts to be a ten, even though you were relatively inexperienced at that level.

So what is it that makes an outhalf good? Control, management, skills? Did you ever seriously play anywhere else?
    That's flattering, thanks a lot!

Game management, sometimes you have to ignore the outside backs (Zebo) and kick the ball to the corner to please your forwards. Getting that balance right - managing people!

• Advertisement

That's interesting. How difficult so was it to accept retirement and move out of the group dynamic?
    Hardest thing I've done. I don't think it goes away

Biscuit cake!! :D

Zzippy wrote: »

Couple of questions: Best player you played with, at any level?

Toughest opponent/who gave you the most problems?

Finally, do players read or pay any heed to social media, online forums, press, etc? How do they deal with online bullying or unfair criticism?

Bonus question: Fancy modding the rugby forum? :D
    No problem!

Conor Murray - different class.
    Jonathan Sexton - you just can't switch off, always on the move.

They definitely read it, the only way to deal with it is try not to see it because they can be pretty harsh!

I'm barely keeping my head above water here, I can't do any emojis besides :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do the IRFU, Munster Rugby utilise players such as yourself and Felix to talk to academy squads about the need to be aware of the risk (likelihood) that not everyone has a successful long term career?

awec wrote: »
    Did you ever have conversations with Joe Schmidt? Does he actually interact with players who were at your stage of development, i.e. just breaking through into the senior team?
    I've said "Hi" to Joe when he was in UL with us. I was injured for the skills sessions that he came down to do in pre season 2016. I'm sure he does have conversations with developing players but I've never spoken to him in terms of my progress or involvement. Unless I'm forgetting something in the blur of the rehab and retirement!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Was CTE ever a worry for you or was it ever discussed amongst your teammates?
    I had to google what CTE is! But it definitely crossed my mind when I was in particularly forgetful form. I had a few concussions so it would make you wonder.

BDJW wrote: »
    What was the hardest hit you ever took? And who gave it?!

What's your opinion on foam rolling?
    Hardest hit was Munster under 18 clubs vs Pres Senior Cup team. Conail Murphy knocked me out. Quality 7

We did a lot of foam rolling as players. I was always on a roller or a ball. I find stretching does more for me but there's definitely benefits to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

When you were progressing through the underage set up the clubs didnt really have the same level of high quality games as they do now. What are your opinions on the Munster Cups, Plate and Bowl competitions at under 16 and 18 and how does the set up now compare to what was in place when you were playing at that level?

Whats your opinion on the residency rule? Also, Whats you stance of the "unwritten rule" that if you play abroad you are ruled out of Int scene e.g. Zebo?
    The residency law never bothered me when CJ qualified for Ireland. It bothered me when Rory was left out because of Bundee Aki. But you can't have it both ways. 3 years is too little. 5 is good.

I don't like the "unwritten rule". If a player can hold his hand up for international duty while playing in France then more power to him, it's a difficult thing to do because players are forgotten about when they go there. We just don't see as much coverage. That's the risk they take, it shouldn't be a certainty.

• Advertisement

When you were progressing through the underage set up the clubs didnt really have the same level of high quality games as they do now. What are your opinions on the Munster Cups, Plate and Bowl competitions at under 16 and 18 and how does the set up now compare to what was in place when you were playing at that level?
    No problem.

I don't know how the set up has changed so I can't really comment on that. But I grew up playing against a Highfield team that had the likes of James Cronin, Paddy Ryan and Kevin O Byrne. We could never get a win. Some games were obviously easier but don't underestimate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement