Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

Do you think now that we are getting to the place where all players were born in the professional era that the day of the AIL feeding in to the provinces is effectively over.

Are all players now going to go straight from school to academy and might only be affiliated with a club for registration purposes? Is this a good or a bad thing for the game?
    I don't think so, not many players come out of school in Ireland and are ready to play Senior rugby week in week out. Gary Ringrose might be seen as one of these guys that did but he played against us up in UCD when I played with Con. Had a good game though! :D

Still a lot of academy players playing AIL and probably should play more.

cee_jay wrote: »
    What was your favourite moment ever as a player on a pitch?
    What was your favourite stadium to play in? As a player is there something really special about Thomond Park? Or is it just hype?
    Favourite moment is probably converting my own try against Leinster. Some of my football days with The Barrs come pretty close.

Musgrave Park! Fast track and close crowd.

Yeah Thomond is special, I wish I had a few more games there to experience the full effect!

irishfan9 wrote: »
    When did Jonathan become Johnny?

remember you being one hell of a soccer player for Greenwood back in the day.
    Ha not sure. Rugby changed that, I had to just embrace it because you couldn't correct people that much! My Mom tried to correct people but she gave up too :D
    My soccer ability didn't last too long hahah

What sort of numbers would you fellas be expecting to hit in the gym? I imagine there's a serious disparity between forwards and backs.

As a former back, I'd love to know what professional backs are expected to bench/ curl/ squat/ deadlift

On that topic, whose the biggest gym freak? Who hits the highest numbers?
    I think the general guidelines are squat and deadlift 2x your bodyweight, bench and chins 1.5x your bodyweight and that's seen as quite strong and balanced but I could be a bit wrong there. The actual numbers are an ego game! :D

Sam Arnold is a freak. Rory Scannell is the squatting maestro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hi Jonny, hope retirement's treating you well and thanks for doing the AMA.

I remember Joe Schmidt spoofed to the media a bit about having spoken to you about an Ireland call up, were you flattered/annoyed/how did you feel about that at the time? Do you think those sort of fibs are something that happen often with coaches when speaking to the media??

• Advertisement

Hi Johnny,

Do you think it's a blow to the provinces that the B&I Cup will be no more from next season? Did you find it a good developing ground versus playing more AIL fixtures?
    Yeah it's a tough one. It's a good competition for academy/developing players that get to play the same way as the senior team. You don't get the same effect in training so that part of it will be missed. It's just not enough of a league.

AIL will stand to them more but can't replicate the provinces systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think the general guidelines are squat and deadlift 2x your bodyweight, bench and chins 1.5x your bodyweight and that's seen as quite strong and balanced but I could be a bit wrong there. The actual numbers are an ego game! :D

Sam Arnold is a freak. Rory Scannell is the squatting maestro

It's all about egos!!

Thanks for the answer. Very informative.

Suffice to say I wont be a professional rugby player! :pac:

Bazzo wrote: »
    Hi Jonny, hope retirement's treating you well and thanks for doing the AMA.

I remember Joe Schmidt spoofed to the media a bit about having spoken to you about an Ireland call up, were you flattered/annoyed/how did you feel about that at the time? Do you think those sort of fibs are something that happen often with coaches when speaking to the media??
    Thank you!

It was flattering to be fair, a bit of a confidence boost. Definitely not a bad thing. But after the initial shock I was left thinking "Why didn't he actually speak to me if he is speaking about it in the media?"

He probably does it with some players that are still developing but he does keep players in the loop and give feedback if they're not selected for a camp and would have been in previous ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

What was the most you were earning on a weekly basis?

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What was the most you were earning on a weekly basis?
    Not enough! You'd be surprised

• Advertisement

Not enough! You'd be surprised

How much? Genuinely interested in terms of time given up where lads build careers or gain further education

How much? Genuinely interested in terms of time given up where lads build careers or gain further education

Jesus bud it's not very polite to ask somebody how much money they make...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

On nutrition what do you make of low carb/keto diet for weight/fat loss?

Could you name a player or two you played with who you were surprised never made an academy?

How was the irish under-20 process for you?

Did players from outside Leinster feel Mike Ruddock was very biased?

Who was the best coach you worked with as a rugby player? Who helped you develop the most?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Jesus bud it's not very polite to ask somebody how much money they make...

Oh bud thought it was ask me ANYTHING ?

That's because 'Ask me Anything within reason' doesn't have the same ring to it.

Jonny, I was listening to Luke Fitz interviewing Heaslip on the indo podcast today and they were talking about pre season training at altitude.

It didn't come up in conversation but maintaining weight at altitude can be a challenge for athletes in a variety of disciplines.

What's a healthy way to top up food intake if the pounds start slipping off in warm weather or high altitude?

As a follow up - Ross Moloney took time out of competition last season to bulk up and I gather one of the Munster forwards had issues with digestion (disorder of some kind) and struggled to maintain weight.

Is it common that Rugby players struggle to take on enough calories and maintain weight or is this one of the more pleasant aspects of being a rugby pro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I gather one of the Munster forwards had issues with digestion (disorder of some kind) and struggled to maintain weight.

I believe this is John Ryan, who has ulcerative colitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

You can ask him anything; doesn't mean he has to answer it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thanks for doing this.
    In a similar vein to the Neil Francis question, is any attention paid to the likes of Stuart Barnes and his waffle?

How long would it take you to recover from a game?

Also, most importantly, would you rather be attacked by 17 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

• Advertisement

doesnt have to answer anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

thanks for doing this, very informative

On the nutrition side of things is there any plans out there that are practical for a modern lifestyle. i.e. don't have to be weighing portions, getting % across the food group balanced in every meal, quick to assemble and cook and allows you a treat at the weekend.

ten years ago I was at my peak physically, structured training and had the time and inclination to really watch the diet and do all of the above. 10 years later, 2 kids, career progression and general life stresses mean I have about 6 minutes to myself each day :-)

So its just not practical to follow strict, what I would call unpractical, meal plans every evening.

Is there something out there that would suit me or do I just hope I'm not too fat in 15 years time when I have some time for myself again!!

p.s. one more thing, which is better for weight loss, diet or exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You can ask anything, doesn't mean he's obliged to answer.

Jonny, what do you think of Cistercian College's legal challenge to the IRFU's 20-month rule for schools eligibility? Do they have a point or were the IRFU right to implement it?

Also, what do you make of Damian Browne rowing across the Atlantic? Brave or crazy??? :pac:

On nutrition what do you make of low carb/keto diet for weight/fat loss?
    I did the keto diet for a while last year as an experiment on myself :D it's a tool for weight loss, I can't recommend it for sustainability. A very unnatural way to eat, but if it suits you and it isn't that much of an effort then that's right for you. There are a lot of easier ways to do it in my opinion. There's nothing magic about keto diets. It's a structured calorie deficit with enough protein to maintain muscle mass. If you can't do it for most of the rest of your life then it's more of a fad than a way of life.

Could you name a player or two you played with who you were surprised never made an academy?

How was the irish under-20 process for you?

Did players from outside Leinster feel Mike Ruddock was very biased?

Who was the best coach you worked with as a rugby player? Who helped you develop the most?
    That's a tough one. I played wth Kevin O' Byrne at under 18/19/20 level and we both went into the sub academy. He didn't get an academy contract, went to Connacht, Australia, nearly gave up and will probably be involved in the Champions Cup this weekend. The ones that surprise me are between sub academy and academy really. John Quill is a good example.
    I didn't have an under 20's process, never got called to camp.
    I enjoyed Brian Walsh as a coach, it suited me the way he liked to play. Learned a lot from Rob Penney because he open my eyes to a rugby system and not just around the corner. Axel helped me to develop most in terms of opportunities.

Jonny, I was listening to Luke Fitz interviewing Heaslip on the indo podcast today and they were talking about pre season training at altitude.

It didn't come up in conversation but maintaining weight at altitude can be a challenge for athletes in a variety of disciplines.

What's a healthy way to top up food intake if the pounds start slipping off in warm weather or high altitude?

As a follow up - Ross Moloney took time out of competition last season to bulk up and I gather one of the Munster forwards had issues with digestion (disorder of some kind) and struggled to maintain weight.

Is it common that Rugby players struggle to take on enough calories and maintain weight or is this one of the more pleasant aspects of being a rugby pro.
    Struggling to maintain weight is pretty much a free for all when eating. If your protein is high enough ice, around 2g/kg then getting the food in is the main concern. If you want to be a be stricter it's probably healthy fats and good quality carbs but I don't think that will matter if you're getting unwanted weight loss.

Ya some people struggle to get enough calories in. John lost a lot of weight at the start when he was adjusting to his new lifestyle, some of the weight loss might have been ok but the rest was definitely unwanted. It can be tough to have to eat that much and it sounds silly but training on a full stomach all the time isn't ideal. I'm small and I ate 4,500-5,000 calories for some of my rehab to try to put on weight. That's a lot of eating. It can be positive at times but hard work when you think of it practically.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this.
    In a similar vein to the Neil Francis question, is any attention paid to the likes of Stuart Barnes and his waffle?

How long would it take you to recover from a game?

Also, most importantly, would you rather be attacked by 17 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?
    I don't think players would be listening to Stuart Barnes that often. They'll mostly be playing the match or at it but if you do come across some of the commentary it can be frustrating!

Depends on the game I suppose but weights on Monday morning had some optional exercises for players that played the full 80 minutes at the weekend. If they felt ok they could crack on, if they didn't then they could hold off.

1 horse size duck. Couldn't keep an eye on 17 mini horses!

mitresize5 wrote: »
    thanks for doing this, very informative

On the nutrition side of things is there any plans out there that are practical for a modern lifestyle. i.e. don't have to be weighing portions, getting % across the food group balanced in every meal, quick to assemble and cook and allows you a treat at the weekend.

ten years ago I was at my peak physically, structured training and had the time and inclination to really watch the diet and do all of the above. 10 years later, 2 kids, career progression and general life stresses mean I have about 6 minutes to myself each day :-)

So its just not practical to follow strict, what I would call unpractical, meal plans every evening.

Is there something out there that would suit me or do I just hope I'm not too fat in 15 years time when I have some time for myself again!!

p.s. one more thing, which is better for weight loss, diet or exercise.
    There are definitely some nutritional habits that you incorporate without tracking calories. Not everybody works well or has the time to care about tracking calories. John Berardi is a guy that's big into portion control. I think Dr. Spencer Nadolsky speaks about meal templates.

Focus on protein, fruit and veg, high fibre foods and you won't be doing too badly. I can help if you have questions :D

Diet for weight loss, exercise will allow you to eat more food.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You can ask anything, doesn't mean he's obliged to answer.

Jonny, what do you think of Cistercian College's legal challenge to the IRFU's 20-month rule for schools eligibility? Do they have a point or were the IRFU right to implement it?

Also, what do you make of Damian Browne rowing across the Atlantic? Brave or crazy??? :pac:
    I'm not aware of any of it, is that to do with bringing players in on scholarships?

There's a little bit of crazy in every brave person I'd say. There's crazy in triathletes, never mind rowing across the Atlantic :D

• Advertisement

Seeing as you were a 10 yourself and Ireland are kind of short of experience in that position at the moment, are there any young or up and coming out halves at any of the provinces that you rate highly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement