Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I'm interested if still available send me a PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would it be nuts to buy the current model or wait until July for new version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

In the current environment, with chip shortages and supply issues with other brands and then the rising cost of fuel, available models will be snapped up. I'd be jumping for anything you can be sure of getting right now if you're in a position to buy now.

I read last night that a considerable amount of the worlds supply of nickel comes from Russia !!! Not only that, but it's cost has rocketed from $24k per tonne to $80k per tonne in the past few weeks. So how long will it take to filter down into car prices ???

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

We were in the exact same position a few weeks ago and we decided to go with the current model and collected it last week and couldn't be happier. The things we took into consideration were that the the pricing for the New Eniro or the spec has not yet been released. It could easily be an extra € 3 to €4 K higher than the current model when you look at the price increases on the new Sportage. Also availability is going to be an issue - there will be very limited stocks in 2022with everything that is going on and we had concerns that the grant could be reduced or even eliminated for 2023. Also by buying now we have an extra 6 months to a year of electric driving with the cost savings that go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭davidod1

Couldn't agree more with the above comments. At least you know everything that you are getting AND you will not be disappointed with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Aren't most of the changes for the newer Niro "non-essential"? In which case, apart from the slight impact on residual value because it will be the "old" model, I'm not sure why you would wait an undetermined amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I very very much doubt the Green Party would stand over the grants being eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Is anyone using the Kia Charge card/app? Am I right in thinking this is more expensive per kWh compared with just using the standard ESB card? I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is in using this!

For example, when I choose an ESB AC charge point on the Kia Charge website, it shows a €0.49 charge and then €0.40 per kWh!!!

If I choose the same charger on ESB Cars, it's showing as €0.268 per kWh.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

nope, thats probably correct.

I'd only use the VW app on Ionity. ESB app for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

When exactly did you order yours (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm waiting since early December!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

We were lucky. The dealer had 3 MY22 models in stock. That they had ordered last year with no specific customer in mind. We got it 2 weeks after we placed the deposit. The delay was waiting was the grant to be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭davidod1

We were luck also and got our MY22 within a week. No choice of colour, I'm OK with the Grey that that we got though.

Speaking to the dealer today. He says he has twenty seven on back order with no certainty on date of availability at all. He is worried now. The only new cars that he has in stock are two Sportages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ladies and Gentlemen, after plenty of emails exchanged with a friend, multiple "will-it-fit" templates, finally, let me show you complete look.

Before:

Product:

After:

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Looks like it'll remind you that your in n E Niro???

Unregistered Users

If you keep your head down there, certainly yes. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

A dummy clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does anyone have a spare camwipe? Just realised I lost mine on Monday at the car wash so would be well flattened by now 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Minifox

Anyone know a company that would hook up my solar panels to my EO Mini Pro home charger?

Scratching my head a bit trying to figure it all out, but after contacting EO Support, I think the Energia installer didn't put in a CT Clamp. It only costs 30 pounds but I wouldn't be able to install it myself. I've already got a Harvi, if that's relevant.

Wish I'd paid more attention to this forum and gone with a Zappi charger instead, but I am where I am. And where I am is driving the car into the shed and connecting car to granny charger when the sun comes out. There's got to be a better way!

Unregistered Users

Ms jou wanted a bumper protection, but not a sticky tape type available from dealers. Here's the only one I was able to find:

Before:

After:

In my opinion - too narrow, but as I said, nothing else I could find.

====================

And another mod she wanted:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

https://youtu.be/aEqw7xh2yhY

Bjorn has a walk round of the new Niro EV (not called E-Niro anymore)

It's the one specced to the max, but that one is specced with the 16a inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Lots of YT vids on the new Niro EV released today.

As many of us have speculated, it's just a refresh, no real changes in spec, although Kia claim it's a new platform.

I think it looks OK overall, still a little bland perhaps. The new interior looks a lot more modern, but I prefer the older version.

I only picked up my e-Niro 3 months ago (deposit paid late last year). No real regrets in not waiting for the new model, plus the prices are meant to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It is a brand new model and totally different to the first model. How can you not see that? I thought the first model was classy in a way. The new one at first I was dissapointed with how it looked but it has grown on me including the stylish new dash and interior.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi - question on the Niro.

I have 3 kids age between 9 and 14. Is this car too small?

Would like to get EV, but there is very little of suitable size that doesnt cost 50k.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

We’ve 12,9 and 7yr old. Size is not a problem. Ski trip couple of weeks ago and just managed to fit everything in. Waterford to Dublin and no complaints from the back. Plenty of legroom. Boot might be borderline tight if all passengers have bags. But the option to lower the floor will add additional space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The fact that a lot of bits are similar to the old car.

Doesn't mean that the wider platform/chassis the car sits on isn't new.

To me it's a bit like Mk 4 Golf vs Mk 5 Golf - the base 1.4 in both was the same 80 bhp bland and slow as a wet week engine.

But the Mk 5 platform had much better handling and stuff like that.

Will be interesting to see how it drives etc.

Big challenge for Niro is how can it compete against Ioniq 5 with the masses.

Ioniq 5 will have more future proofed fast charging capability for example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Platforms....

Just looking at one of the EV sites just now.

Old car - Hyundai group J Eco platform.

New Model - K3 platform.

Obviously this K3 platform is shared with other cars too and its designed to be both an ICE/PHEV platform AND be used on BEVs also.

I would see this as Kia/Hyundai bringing out new platforms across their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

The single most important aspect of any EV in my opinion is range. The new version of the car is almost exactly the same as the old in that respect.

Range is the reason I bought the e-Niro in the first place. I almost bought another Leaf to replace my gen1 Leaf until I realised how good the Korean cars are on range.

In addition to range, charging speed is almost unchanged from the old car.

While the new Niro EV looks to be a completely new car, nothing of importance has really changed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Good points. That is a pity alright. I wonder why they have not improved the range on it.

Is it much bigger than the old car? How would it compare in size to a MK 3 Sportage I wonder?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭creedp

I dont think the range is too bad. Most brands are achieving better range by increasing the battery size so given that the battery has remained relatively unchanged, 450 approx range is not too bad. However, the single most disappointing issue is the slow charging speed which is now way behind the norm especially the standards set by Kia for the EV6. Cant understand why they would deliberately give a new model Niro such poor charging speeds. Its not like it will be a cut price budget EV option.

Advertisement