Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Your Death Bed

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.
    - Pancho Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

no HE was prime young flesh too about 10years older, & I felt at the time that I wasn't womanly enough for him so I didn't act on it. I wasn't a young 18year old either, but I felt I wasn't enough for him.

Nice derailment of the thread lol, please post a thread on this fantacy so someone can 're reg and claim to be said uncle for the Craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

If I was starting out again I honestly wish I wasn't so stubborn, mostly to my own detriment.

Biggest failing being refusing to accept that I'm deaf as a stone and spend 80% of my time outside home in complete isolation, even though I'm in people's company a lot. Put me in a crowd I'll shut off, one to one I'll pick up most but not all, and there's only so many nods of the head anyone can put up with. Annoys me too but not enough obviously.

If I was 13 or 14 again I would have stuck with those hearing aids despite all the mocking and teasing I got and my life would have taken a completely different course I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

If I was starting out again I honestly wish I wasn't so stubborn, mostly to my own detriment.

Biggest failing being refusing to accept that I'm deaf as a stone and spend 80% of my time outside home in complete isolation, even though I'm in people's company a lot. Put me in a crowd I'll shut off, one to one I'll pick up most but not all, and there's only so many nods of the head anyone can put up with. Annoys me too but not enough obviously.

If I was 13 or 14 again I would have stuck with those hearing aids despite all the mocking and teasing I got and my life would have taken a completely different course I'm sure.

Hi Jimmy, thank you for your honest and meaningful post.!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

fergus1001 wrote: »
    someone can 're reg and claim to be said uncle for the Craic

if someone done that I would know soon enough because there is a bit more to the story that I have left out;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

if someone done that I would know soon enough because there is a bit more to the story that I have left out

You had a threeway with bf and uncle ? Please do enlighten us

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Not sure who said this, but their idea of hell was, on their last day on earth, the person they've become meets the person they could have became

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Hope it will not be for a long time yet.

Hope to leave everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'd go out with my lad in my hand

For a second I had this beautiful image of you holding your son to say good bye.......

Then I realised you are just a sick bastard ......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PotatoSpud

I'll wish I'd public shat myself at least once before so I didn't waste any of my precious few minutes left alive worrying about the social stigma of ****ting myself. That way, I'd have been through it all before in much less acceptable circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'd go back in time and personally pay for a nationwide advertising campaign teaching people the difference between your / you're; lose / loose; though/tough etc. and all other pedantic stupid things that drive me up the walls.

Welcome to Boards Mr Tubridy!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Shenshen wrote: »
    Travel back in time and make my parents split up before they have children.

But then you'd cease to exist, meaning the version of you that came back in time to prevent your parents from having children would also then cease to exist, meaning your parents would still meet and have children.

You'd be caught in a perpetual nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Knex. wrote: »
    But then you'd cease to exist, meaning the version of you that came back in time to prevent your parents from having children would also then cease to exist, meaning your parents would still meet and have children.

You'd be caught in a perpetual nightmare.

Logic is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Logic is a bitch.

I had a good laugh thinking about it. The futile, endless struggle is morbidly hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My friend said something very stark and blunt but also very true recently.

In a several generations, pretty everyone living and breathing and strolling around the planet today will be completely forgotten. They'll have great-grandchildren or whatever, but those great-grandchildren won't really know or care about them. Anyone who did consider us a loved one will either also be gone or on their last legs.

I went to the National Gallery last October. In the portrait wing there was a very thought-provoking exhibition called 'Forgotten Faces'. It was a series of portraits where the identity of the people who sat for the portraits was unknown. These were generally people who one could tell were of stature. Each painting had a description on what they could glean about the person from clues within the paintings. The main thing I took away from the painting was the ruthless passing of time and how most of us will be completely forgotten, even if we're important in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

You had a threeway with bf and uncle ? Please do enlighten us

:D:D:D:D

if only I was a bit more brave. I wouldn't put it past those two though:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I went to the National Gallery last October. In the portrait wing there was a very thought-provoking exhibition called 'Forgotten Faces'.
    Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Turns out it was Ramesses II,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

In a several generations, pretty everyone living and breathing and strolling around the planet today will be completely forgotten. They'll have great-grandchildren or whatever, but those great-grandchildren won't really know or care about them. Anyone who did consider us a loved one will either also be gone or on their last legs.

I went to the National Gallery last October. In the portrait wing there was a very thought-provoking exhibition called 'Forgotten Faces'. It was a series of portraits where the identity of the people who sat for the portraits was unknown. These were generally people who one could tell were of stature. Each painting had a description on what they could glean about the person from clues within the paintings. The main thing I took away from the painting was the ruthless passing of time and how most of us will be completely forgotten, even if we're important in our lifetimes.

Very true. Most of us know very little about our great grandparents / great great grandparents. Why would out great-grandkids know about us after we are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You die twice.
    The first time when your heart stops beating.
    The second time when your name is spoken for the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

elperello wrote: »
    You die twice.
    The first time when your heart stops beating.
    The second time when your name is spoken for the last time.

Yes, noone lives on forever in memory unless one is a historical figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

All those deep and meaningful tweets and facebook posts will eb remembered, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Turns out it was Ramesses II,

Horace Smith's one isn't bad either.

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
    Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
    The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
    "I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
    "The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
    "The wonders of my hand."— The City's gone,—
    Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
    The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder,—and some Hunter may express
    Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
    Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
    He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
    What powerful but unrecorded race
    Once dwelt in that annihilated place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No regrets, Kit, that's what he'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

branie2 wrote: »
    No regrets, Kit, that's what he'd say.

Love that film.

dying_gift.png

" And to you, I leave my life-sized ice sculpture replica of the Pietà which was blessed by the Pope. You must never let it melt! Now, remember, all gifts must be removed from my estate within 24 hours. "

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Advertisement