Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper-debate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If consent is given (and I'd argue it was - she hugs him and is conscious)

So every time I hug someone while I'm conscious, I'm saying that it's OK for them to shag me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

its amazing that people can see one scene and see completely different things.
    it is 100% not rape in my view . others are 100% the other view.
    nothing wrong with that but its interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

....... wrote: »

I think if it were supposed to be a rape scene, then the entire film/story would of played differently. Guards would of been involved and Dessie would of done more than just threaten Georgie in the jax. The brother would of done more than just break his windows...

Also, this is all based of a piece of fiction, so the author is the only one who can confirm what exactly happened in the incident. With that in mind, we have to assume it was supposed to be a story based on Sharon's drunken mistake and not a Georgie got away with rape story...

• Advertisement

That's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:rolleyes:

Yep, you are dead right. If someone raped my sister, me and me da would have been grand about it back in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Yep, you are dead right. If someone raped my sister, me and me da would have been grand about it back in the 80's.
    And if she described what really happened as differently as in the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

pablo128 wrote: »
    Tell your English friend it was a film, not real life.

FFS.

great point , when are people going to stop finding bad in everything, get a life 'It's A FILM'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ya mean it wasn't a Spanish Sailor with a euge lad !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Excuse me, it was a hefty langer.

Eh, maybe because she wasn't. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If the author himself calls it rape then you can't really debate whether it was or not since that's what he wrote and his intentions for the scene. However I would agree that it was poorly handled in the movie and left a little unclear leading to the dividing opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've watched that only recently actually, never even entered my mind that someone would think it was rape.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If the author himself calls it rape then you can't really debate whether it was or not since that's what he wrote and his intentions for the scene. However I would agree that it was poorly handled in the movie and left a little unclear leading to the dividing opinions.

I know this is splitting hairs, but the discussion here is about the film, not the book.

Maybe it was a rape in the book, but it isn't as clear cut in the film.

Ah look, I've woken up beside 'quare' wans years ago when I was on the lash that I wouldn't brag about.

And many of my conquests wouldn't brag about me either, they were drunken flings that seemed like a good thing at the time when we were all wearing the beer goggles.

Some of the women that slept with me in those circumstances would have rather owned up to being with a 'Spanish Sailer' rather than BattleCorp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

His name was Pedro. Pedro the sailor man...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But thats the whole point of the film. Its a picture of the culture of the time and if Sharon had said she was raped, everyone would have said the things you are saying now. Because casual rape was more acceptable in the 80s. Its a social commentary of its time.

So rather than anyone go down for rape, the family just gets on with it - amid much hi jinx in Barrytown.

Such was life in the 80s.[/quote]
    Always thought it was the 90's.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Load of bollix...I'm out.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

For all you know it could have been a Pakistani postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

seamus wrote: »
    If consent is given (and I'd argue it was - she hugs him and is conscious) is it revoked (assuming she remains conscious)?
    Being conscious and being capable of consent are not the same thing. But yes, even if we were to assume that he believed consent had been given, then it seems clear that consent was later revoked when she asked, "is dat yeuw squeekin?"; because she clearly had no idea what was happening.

Consent must be continuous. If you have any reason to believe that consent is no longer in place (e.g. the person has passed out or appears unaware of what's happening), then it's rape if you continue.

Here I'd disagree: if you're capable if revoking consent then you've a duty to do so if you no longer wish to carry on.

I don't see how the squraking comment could be construed as having no idea what's happening? I don't believe she literally thought he was squeaking.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The books were published in 1992 - so they were set in the 80s at the time of writing, although maybe the film was set in the 90s, cant remember a specific date mentioned - open to correction.

Apologies - that was the trilogy published in 1992.

The snapper was published in 1990 so it (the book) definitely referred to the 80s.[/quote]

The books were published in 1992 - so they were set in the 80s at the time of writing, although maybe the film was set in the 90s, cant remember a specific date mentioned - open to correction.

Apologies - that was the trilogy published in 1992.

The snapper was published in 1990 so it (the book) definitely referred to the 80s.[/quote]

Wasn't it a sequeal to The Van, which was set against the backdrop of Italia 90?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Georgina Curley was born in 1993 in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

seamus wrote: »
    No no, that still makes him a rapist.

It doesn't require an "altercation" to be rape.
    Someone doesn't have to say "no" for it to be rape.
    Someone even appearing to be eager may still be incapable of consent, which makes it rape.
    You don't have to be ashamed afterwards for it to be rape
    You don't have know you committed a crime, for it to be rape

What is this madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Thread needs poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Thread needs poll

Fcuk that!

Sharon will only get up it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know this is splitting hairs, but the discussion here is about the film, not the book.

Maybe it was a rape in the book, but it isn't as clear cut in the film.

Apologies, I agree with that.

Advertisement