Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper-debate

Options
  • 07-01-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/rRTEvkOHCOg

Have just shown The Snapper to an English friend.

She reffered to the car park Sharon-George Burgess scene as a rape. (See link above)

I never thought about it in that way while watching it down the years.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

pipelaser wrote: »

She reffered to the car park Sharon-George Burgess scene as a rape. (See link above)

What do you think?

He gave her a tenner so it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'd agree.

He was sober, she was drunk so not of "sound mind" and could be seen to have taken advantage.
    Allinall wrote: »
    He gave her a tenner so it's ok.

Coffee really hurts when it comes out your nose! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yup.

Also people tend to forget about the attempted rape in Back to the Future :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

And What about all those murders in nightmare on elm Street...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Wheety wrote: »
    Yup.

That biff tannen fella was no good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yup.

Looking back on old movies like...

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Rape? That encounter was the height of romance for that neck of the woods. Fine example of car park seduction by Mr. Burgess wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tell your English friend it was a film, not real life.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's mentioned in the book. Apparently Sharon (Rabbitte in the book) had thought that what happened could be considered rape.

I never read the book so open to correction, but a friend who did said yes, it was rape. The thing about the movie is that you can't really make a comedy that originates around a rape, so a little dramatic licence was take by the producers. Fair enough, a comedy that kicks off with a rape would be pretty vile to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What's the point in givin ye a gun if they don't give ye jaysus bullets?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

Of course it's rape.

It was taking advantage of someone too drunk to consent.

I don't see how there's any room for debate at all.

If it isn't consentual, then it's rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I never read the book so open to correction, but a friend who did said yes, it was rape. The thing about the movie is that you can't really make a comedy that originates around a rape, so a little dramatic licence was take by the producers. Fair enough, a comedy that kicks off with a rape would be pretty vile to say the least.

I see what youre saying, but, purely based on what you can see in the film, what would you class it as? Thats more the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I always saw it as a rape and thought it was clearly such.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

If I remember correctly from the book he was also drunk. She made the first move.
    So yes it was rape, she raped him.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Tell your English friend it was a film, not real life.

FFS.
    Shes aware. It was more a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Of course it's rape.

It was talking advantage of someone too drunk to consent.

I don't see how there's any room for debate at all.

If it isn't consentual, then it's rape.

So, her saying "man" and indicating what she wanted, then putting her arms around his neck and kissing him, leading to banging....is now rape?

She wasnt lying on the ground in a heap and Burges just went over and banged her.

You're very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yup.

We were watching that as a family movie the other night with the kids. Jasis, it looks so very different 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

pipelaser wrote: »

What do you think?

Sharon raped Georgey as he was drunk?.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

She was mad for a ride if I remember it right.
    She gave consent,just made a bad decision like we all do sometimes when drunk.

Don't see how being drunk negates your decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

We were watching that as a family movie the other night with the kids. Jasis, it looks so very different 30 years later.

have you a link to that I cant remember this

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

Wheety wrote:
    Also people tend to forget about the attempted rape in Back to the Future

Yeah
    Watched it there over Christmas which could easily have been the 20th time I've watched it, and only just realised how disturbing it was

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

So, her saying "man" and indicating what she wanted, then putting her arms around his neck and kissing him, leading to banging....is now rape?

She wasnt lying on the ground in a heap and Burges just went over and banged her.

You're very wrong.

She was clearly too drunk to consent to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

but she made the first move
    she should be asking his consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tell your English friend the royal family are nazis if they're going to point out the dark underbelly of what's ours you can do it to what's theirs.

You're very wrong.

I think, as bad as this might sound to/for some people, that it was a borderline case. Given that she said she wanted a man(clearly meaning that she wanted a man, any man, in that moment) and approaching him.

And maybe, as unfair as this sounds, it wouldnt have been classed in peoples conciousness as rape in 1993, where as in 2018 it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Thats only your assumption, have a look at the clip again but pay attention. Being drunk does not always equal diminished responsibility.

If thats the case, plenty of women have raped me over the years.

Burgess was walking by her, she turned to him and said "man" and that was that. It was only the regret that hit her afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

In law being drunk isn't a defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Repsulive

A friend was teaching English to adults in Sweden. He played this movie in class. One of his students reported him to the principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Maybe they should re release it with that bit edited out, so as not to offend anyone.

Advertisement