Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper-debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

so a mildly drunk woman seeks out a man and initiates sex. consensual sex
    this is now leading to him being acused of rape.

its not like she was passed out drunk and a rapist forced him self on her.

it was her idea and see went after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Assuming the library version of rape.
    If they were both drunk and she grabbed him onto the car. How is he the rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

George Burgess was out of line showing the lads in the pub her knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cursai wrote: »
    Assuming the library version of rape.
    If they were both drunk and she grabbed him onto the car. How is he the rapist?
    Haven't seen it in a while but didn't she kind of nearly pass out on the bonnet after (AFAIR) just kissing him? He's the only one who put any effort into the sex bit.

George Burgess was out of line showing the lads in the pub her knickers.

I don't think it in question whether or not he was a sleaze ball

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Haven't seen it in a while but didn't she kind of nearly pass out on the bonnet after (AFAIR) just kissing him? He's the only one who put any effort into the sex bit.

No she was awake afaik. And he didn't see her pass out, no evidence to assume he did hypothetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is the scene

It's different to how I remember though, is it edited to make it pg? I remember a fumbling of belts etc.

very awake when she is asking if he is squeeking . very sober in fact. fully aware of what is happening .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pipelaser wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/rRTEvkOHCOg

Have just shown The Snapper to an English friend.

She reffered to the car park Sharon-George Burgess scene as a rape. (See link above)

I never thought about it in that way while watching it down the years.

What do you think?

Impossible to say because the camera doesn't show if she's conscious or not during the penetrative sex act. If she isn't it's rape. If she's conscious, she has instigated the encounter (not a definitive yes or no, but definitely going to harm the prosecution). The "who the **** was tha'?" line would imply probably not.

The best way of judging consent in a case like that is to consider the girl passing out as a revoking of consent and stop.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Today it is classed as rape because she was so drunk. At the time, it was just someone taking a chance with a drunk person. She did not object so fair game. He is still a despicable person but not a rapist.

• Advertisement

You'd have to be soft in the head and in need of a good kick in the head to redefine that as rape.
    Soft touches walking down the road to the shop falling over cracks in the council pavement. Getting assaulted by passing people's elbows, sexually harrassed by local teenagers dirty minds and being forced into poverty by the local supermarket.

annascott wrote: »
    Today it is classed as rape because she was so drunk. At the time, it was just someone taking a chance with a drunk person. She did not object so fair game. He is still a despicable person but not a rapist.

He was drunk too. And she grabbed him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The camerman was a voyeur pervert!

He did nothing to stop it so he should be charged with assisted rape and conspiracy to fourball.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

annascott wrote: »

What were the changes in law between then and now?

The camerman was a voyeur pervert!

He did nothing to stop it so he should be charged with assisted rape.

The producer set up the whole sick event. ****ing film should be renamed The Raper. Re-release it in black and white and have an ominous soundtrack added to please the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Few years since I have watched it but I always remember it as Sharon being woeful drunk and initiating the sex and afterwards having major regrets. but Burgess being a despicable sleaze bag and going through with the sex knowing full well she only had sex with him because she was drunk. A decent human would have told her to cop on and not be so foolish.
    I believe he definitely took advantage of the situation but not rape in my view.
    I do also remember a scene where Sharon and her friends are harassing a young lounge boy and in today's world that would also be extremely questionable (and rightly so!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The producer set up the whole sick event. ****ing film should be renamed The Raper. Re-release it in black and white and have an ominous soundtrack added to please the flowers.

I think this was the 'casting bonnet' audition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Sharon practically raped him and him being a decent gentleman even offered to look after her and the baby. Some heroes don’t wear capes

It's hardly rape. She initiated it and didn't tell him to stop. Consent was given and not withdrawn. It's an indication of 'poor' judgment for both parties but not rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

pipelaser wrote:
    She reffered to the car park Sharon-George Burgess scene as a rape. (See link above)

Don't show her Love Hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

so a mildly drunk woman seeks out a man and initiates sex. consensual sex
    this is now leading to him being acused of rape.

its not like she was passed out drunk and a rapist forced him self on her.

it was her idea and see went after it

yes but i guess what is being asked is if hypothetically that exact opportunity arose for you would you go with it? or would you think it's ok for one of your mates?

For me it's a case of feeling old or maybe I'm beginning to get sense but it was funny when i saw it as a kid and everyone was quoting the "a1 shardon" and "are ya all right Shardon " and it was funny...but watching it now the context has changed and it's quite dark.

yes but i guess what is being asked is if hypothetically that exact opportunity arose for you would you go with it? or would you think it's ok for one of your mates?

For me it's a case of feeling old or maybe I'm beginning to get sense but it was funny when i saw it as a kid and everyone was quoting the "a1 shardon" and "are ya all right Shardon " and it was funny...but watching it now the context has changed and it's quite dark.

if I was a dirty old man who was had u for it and some half drunk horny woman threw herself at me I don't see any reason no to look a gift horse in the mouth

now if it was me now I wouldn't but not for any kind of rape allegation reasons. it would be more to her not being my type or not liking half drunk women. personally I would rather be with a sober woman

I wouldn't hold my mates responsible if they availed of the offer but they would probably be the but of the joke for a while .

for what its worth I know a guy that still says its A1 Sharon

The context only changed for people who are overly influenced by media. Most people have the same common decency as always to realise it's not rape but drunken ugly sex. Only slightly more hideous than most of us have, in a David Attenborough sense.

It'll soon get to the point where myself and the partner whilst walking home drunk on a sat night, will be warned by a passing squad car, to not be raping each other when we get home.

It'll soon get to the point where myself and the partner whilst walking home drunk on a sat night, will be warned by a passing squad car, to not be raping each other when we get home.

probably get arrested soon just for thinking about having sex with the wrong person

probably get arrested soon just for thinking about having sex with the wrong person

You'll be arrested long before then by looking at a woman since she didn't give consent for you to be looking at her in that manner (the manner being decided by her, of course). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Never ever thought it was rape and I still don't.

In the film she seemed like she wanted a man, any man.

Bad judgement but hey, that's drink for ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

that scene never set right with me, even years ago.

whether it's classed as actual rape or not, it turns my stomach thinking of that film.
    even if someone jokes with the 'are ya all rite Sharon' line, I just can't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

That was A1, good girl Sharon...

Advertisement