Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel will imprison migrants if they dont leave

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

only those of the "right stock" are allowed to vote in it.

You mean only Jews are allowed to vote?

i believe apartheid south africa was quite high up on that list back in the day also. just like the fact it wasn't a democracy, israel isn't a democracy unless you are of the right criteria.
    [

You would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Odhinn

markodaly wrote: »
    You mean only Jews are allowed to vote?

Specifically Israeli citizens. However nearly 5 million Palestinians are effectively ruled by Israel and get no vote.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Specifically Israeli citizens. However nearly 5 million Palestinians are effectively ruled by Israel and get no vote.

Oh I know that. Israeli citizens vote in their national elections just like Irish citizens vote in their national elections. I just think EOTR thinks that only Jews are allowed to vote, when in fact any Israeli citizen, Jew, Muslim, Arab or Christian is allowed to vote.

Palestinians vote in their own elections, well in the West Bank anyway. Those in Gaza are not so lucky.

However nearly 5 million Palestinians are effectively ruled by Israel and get no vote.

So they were better off being illegally occupied by Jordan until 1967 then were they? :rolleyes:

Palestinians vote in their own elections, well in the West Bank anyway. Those in Gaza are not so lucky.

Mod note: Quit that rubbish now.

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement

Opinion pieces that just reinforce that Israel is a Democracy but a "bad" democracy.
    only those of the "right stock" are allowed to vote in it.

i believe apartheid south africa was quite high up on that list back in the day also. just like the fact it wasn't a democracy, israel isn't a democracy unless you are of the right criteria.

But it is a democratic system for those who are, and it seeks to protect its citizens.

But basically, Israel is not a democracy because it doesn't pass your criteria. Poland is notoriously right-winged and anti-migrant. Are they also not a democracy?

<snip>/QUOTE]

Hamas of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Israel does have a lot of problems. It's a democracy but hardly a liberal one.

Take their marriage laws for example. Since the founding of the state it's effectively illegal to get married outside of your religion. You can go abroad , and about 1 in 10 do, but inside Israel you can't.

Grayson wrote: »

All states have a past. Sweden, the benchmark for many when it comes to liberal democracies forcibly sterilised some of its citizens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilisation_in_Sweden
    According to the 2000 governmental report, 21,000 were estimated to have been forcibly sterilised, 6,000 were coerced into a "voluntary" sterilisation while the nature of a further 4,000 cases could not be determined.[5]

We in Ireland have a dark past as well when it comes to treating illegitimate children, unmarried mothers and the mentally disabled.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Israel does have a lot of problems. It's a democracy but hardly a liberal one.

See the democracy index stat I linked. It is 'more' of a democracy than Poland, Belgium and the Czech Republic according to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

All states have a past. Sweden, the benchmark for many when it comes to liberal democracies forcibly sterilised some of its citizens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilisation_in_Sweden

We in Ireland have a dark past as well when it comes to treating illegitimate children, unmarried mothers and the mentally disabled.

I don't know if you can refer to it as the "past" if it's very recently. This was only 4 years ago. That's pretty current. They still have the same people in power.

Oh I know that. Israeli citizens vote in their national elections just like Irish citizens vote in their national elections. I just think EOTR thinks that only Jews are allowed to vote, when in fact any Israeli citizen, Jew, Muslim, Arab or Christian is allowed to vote.

As the West Bank is, essentially, under Israeli control thats really not that relevant.
    All states have a past.

That article is just 4 years old. The occupation and its associated evils are on-going.

As the West Bank is, essentially, under Israeli control thats really not that relevant.

The Palestine Government actually has lots of control in the West Bank. Day to day running of the region is up this authority who exert executive powers over many aspects of daily life such as local taxation, education, health, utilities and so on.

Israel generally keeps a hands off approach, so yes, it is very relevant.

The Palestine Government actually has lots of control in the West Bank. Day to day running of the region is up this authority who exert executive powers over many aspects of daily life such as local taxation, education, health, utilities and so on.

Area A (under the governance of the PA only) is about 18% of the WB region, so in reality they have control of sweet f**k all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did Israel's proposed arbeit macht frei for asylum seekers not work out then?

I'd suggest you need to do a bit of reading.

Advertisement