Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel will imprison migrants if they dont leave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

maryishere wrote: »
    Was replying to your comment "I doubt Israel would be the first port of call for migrants from the Middle East to be honest."

And I was replying to yours that managed to shoehorn Middle East Muslim immigration into a thread about African immigrants in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

wakka12 wrote: »
    The vast majority of muslims who immigrate abroad go to muslim countries.
    Because Muslim countries are closer and because they cannot get in to "western" countries easily.

Because Muslim countries are closer and because they cannot get in to "western" countries easily.

Nor is there likely the same expenditure by the country to support and provide for the migrants (whatever classification they might fall under), nor the belief that they should stay as long as they like. I suspect these other countries are much more forceful with the terms of accepting them in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Migration of muslims from Muslim Middle Eastern countries is much higher than Migration of muslims to Muslim Middle Eastern countries.

The whole of Europe hasn't taken in as much as Lebanon. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Totally agree. Their country their rules. We're way too soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Totally agree. Their country their rules. We're way too soft.

we aren't to soft at all. their country their rules is for democratic modernised countries who will impose rules that are fair to all. israel doesn't fit that description

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't think I've heard a reference to "the Jew" since Borat!

Have you been hacked or just forgotten what a chunk of AH posters are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Collie D wrote: »
    What's that got to do with Israel though? The article is about African migrants. Now there is no breakdown of religion given but the continent as a whole has a pretty even split of Muslims and Christians.
    Not sure if you're familiar with after hours where could randomly type 'Muslims' in a Late Late Toy Show thread, and the same old horde would come running, eagerly frothing at the mouth. To be honest, I'm startled it took so long this time... we made it through the OP and 34 full replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Sin City wrote: »
    A case of history repeating itself ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42541515

I fully agree with what they are doing. Israel for the jews. Fair play to them.

Doesn't every country arrest/detain/deport illegal immigrants? :confused:

The key word being "illegal". Democracies and dictatorships alike, the only variable being the resources they put into doing so.

• Advertisement

we aren't to soft at all. their country their rules is for democratic modernised countries who will impose rules that are fair to all. israel doesn't fit that description

Really? I suspect that's more your interpretation of what a democracy is that the literal meaning... Israel just doesn't fit your skewed image. Whereas it does fit mine. It seeks to protect the rights of its own members, above those of outsiders.

Really? I suspect that's more your interpretation of what a democracy is that the literal meaning... Israel just doesn't fit your skewed image. Whereas it does fit mine. It seeks to protect the rights of its own members, above those of outsiders.

no no . it only seeks to protect the rights of some of it's members. those who are of the right varient of jew.

no no . it only seeks to protect the rights of some of it's members. those who are of the right varient of jew.

Nope. Actually, the Jewish state does recognize others (non-jews) who have become residents/members of their country and protected (or bound) under their laws.

It has millions of palestinians governed under martial law while settlers across the road enjoy the full protections of civil law, and a vote. Thats not a democracy.

Odhinn wrote: »
    It has millions of palestinians governed under martial law while settlers across the road enjoy the full protections of civil law, and a vote. Thats not a democracy.

Sure, it is. It's a democratically governed country with voting rights for its own 'citizens'/residents and the will to protect the rights of its 'people'.

You don't like the way the government behaves. Fine. But your dislike about their behavior does not stop it from being a democratic country. Political constructs do not depend on morality.

Sure, it is. It's a democratically governed country with voting rights for its own 'citizens'/residents and the will to protect the rights of its 'people'.

You don't like the way the government behaves. Fine. But your dislike about their behavior does not stop it from being a democratic country. Political constructs do not depend on morality.

Sorry, but that's a nonsense. The area controlled by Israel contains millions who do not get a vote, do not have the protection of israeli law yet whose lives are ruled by Israel, directly and indirectly. As a result, it can't be called a democracy in the commonly understood modern sense of the word, any more than apartheid south africa could.

Sorry, but that's a nonsense. The area controlled by Israel contains millions who do not get a vote, do not have the protection of israeli law yet whose lives are ruled by Israel, directly and indirectly. As a result, it can't be called a democracy in the commonly understood modern sense of the word, any more than apartheid south africa could.

Nope. Your perception is judging the political structure of Israel, and what consists a democracy. But your perception and morality don't matter. Israel is a democratic nation for the purpose of its citizens with all the legal requirements needed to be a democracy.

Now. Enough of this. Look up a dictionary or check the legal requirements for a democracy to exist. Your moral judgment won't be included in it.

Sorry, but that's a nonsense. The area controlled by Israel contains millions who do not get a vote

Who elected Hamas and the Palestinian Authority?

Who elected Hamas and the Palestinian Authority?

Palestinians elected both, but as the real ruler of the territories is Israel, thats irrelevant.

Nope. Your perception is judging the political structure of Israel, and what consists a democracy. But your perception and morality don't matter. Israel is a democratic nation for the purpose of its citizens with all the legal requirements needed to be a democracy.

Now. Enough of this. Look up a dictionary or check the legal requirements for a democracy to exist. Your moral judgment won't be included in it.

israel isn't a democratic nation. it's an apartheid, racist, sectarian nation. no perception is judging anything, just cold hard facts.

• Advertisement

Palestinians elected both, but as the real ruler of the territories is Israel, thats irrelevant.

So do they get a vote or not? Or did Hamas put a stop to it by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

Send them home without money!

israel isn't a democratic nation. it's an apartheid, racist, sectarian nation. no perception is judging anything, just cold hard facts.

Your conception of fact is rather subjective.

Care to provide links to reputable evidence to prove that Israel is not a legally defined democratic nation? :rolleyes:

Your conception of fact is rather subjective.

Care to provide links to reputable evidence to prove that Israel is not a legally defined democratic nation? :rolleyes:

One cannot rule millions in a brutal fashion and lay claim to that title, any more than apartheid south africa could.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/01/opinion/israels-charade-of-democracy.html
    https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/israel-palestine-democracy-apartheid-discrimination-settler-colonialism
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/israel-is-supposedly-the-only-democracy-in-the-middle-east-yet-45-million-palestinians-under-its-10113950.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I guess the Knesset is a figment of my imagination.

markodaly wrote: »

Do they allow the near on five million palestinians they rule a vote in the knesset elections?

Israel comes 29th in the world according to the Democracy Index. That is higher then the Czech Republic, Poland and Belgium.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

Turkey comes in 97th
    Palestine comes 110th

The rest of the Middle East well down that list.

Israel may a lot of this but its still a democracy albeit flawed.

Israel comes 29th in the world according to the Democracy Index. That is higher then the Czech Republic, Poland and Belgium.

Turkey comes in 97th
    Palestine comes 110th

Which is bizarre, tbh.

only those of the "right stock" are allowed to vote in it.

Turkey comes in 97th
    Palestine comes 110th

i believe apartheid south africa was quite high up on that list back in the day also. just like the fact it wasn't a democracy, israel isn't a democracy unless you are of the right criteria.

• Advertisement

Well thats what happened when you are presented with facts you don't believe.

Advertisement