Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    What has he to do with fitness? Is that not Joe O'Connor?

The heads up and running/hitting the ball into space hurling is Kinnerk.

Ooh sorry. I thought he was involved and brought in for his fitness expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

billyhead wrote: »
    Ooh sorry. I thought he was involved and brought in for his fitness expertise.

No man Phuckhugh is right, Kinnerk is the coach and Joe O'Connor is doing strength and conditioning. Both are doing an excellent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

danganabu wrote: »
    Not sure what you are basing any of that on to be perfectly honest.

Cork/limerick will be 50/50, you say Gillane will have a field day, we'll Kingston and Horgan will be falling over each other tp see who gets to play on Hickey!

Clare v Tipp in thurles will be a cracker but Clare havent won a championship game of note outside on Ennis in 5 years, If Tipp have the same attitude and application that they showed in the 2nd half yesterday Clare wont live with them.

I'm basing it on the fact that Limerick went down to Galway and won in this years league in what was the most pivotal game of the league.Yes,it's only the league but this team is excellent and even with Gillane off they outplayed Cork.Cork wont challenge for an AI I dont think
    ,its all very well and good performing well in the early stages of the championship as Cork tend to do every single year only to tail off when it gets to the crunch.Fitzgibbon and Coleman are very good players as is Horgan but the consistency isnt really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I'm basing it on the fact that Limerick went down to Galway and won in this years league in what was the most pivotal game of the league.Yes,it's only the league but this team is excellent and even with Gillane off they outplayed Cork.Cork wont challenge for an AI I dont think
    ,its all very well and good performing well in the early stages of the championship as Cork tend to do every single year only to tail off when it gets to the crunch.Fitzgibbon and Coleman are very good players as is Horgan but the consistency isnt really there.

Funny you say that about Cork. They may be struggling in the latter stages of championship but Limerick have had great teams that failed in the latter stages of championship too. 2013 comes to mind.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Funny you say that about Cork. They may be struggling in the latter stages of championship but Limerick have had great teams that failed in the latter stages of championship too. 2013 comes to mind.
    Yes but look at the maturity Limerick are showing here.They dont panic.Any other team would have fallen apart the other night and retreated.And this game was away in Cork.Seriously character building I would imagine

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    Not sure that was a great Limerick team either.Decent perhaps but didn't enthral as much as this one or have as much depth.

Hannon is fit for Sunday. Is Gillane suspended for 1 or 2 Games? Hopefully Waterford will find it hard mentally to get over last Sunday and it will play into our Hands:)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

billyhead wrote:
    Hannon is fit for Sunday. Is Gillane suspended for 1 or 2 Games? Hopefully Waterford will find it hard mentally to get over last Sunday and it will play into our Hands

Straight red is a 1 match ban I believe so back for Clare game. Moran for Waterford only got 1 game and is back for them Sunday.

Straight red is a 1 match ban I believe so back for Clare game. Moran for Waterford only got 1 game and is back for them Sunday.

Hopefully we wont need him by then. John Kiely may rest him for the Clare game aswell to save him for the Final if we win on Sunday just in case he picks up an injury. Peter Casey could slot in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Steady on! If we win on Sunday we might still need to beat Clare to reach the Munster final.

Only on points difference with Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

I think this is THE test for this Limerick team. We really need to win this or things could go south very quickly

Really expect a good win on Sunday and a solid performance to boot.
    Been a great year so far with 1B promotion, beating Tipp, 2 shots at a Munster final now as well. We have been nice and consistent, havnt set the world alight but really solid.
    Support and buzz Id definitely up in the county too so a big crowd should show up.

We're better than Cork this year, showed that the second half down a man and I think Tipp made Waterford look much better than they are, gave them a huge early lead from unforced errors.
    I think if we can start out strongly and match Waterford effort the rest will fall in to place. I would rather we get the job done Sunday than having to go to Ennis needing a result.
    Only concern is that we seem to hit an awful amount of bad wides in the Gaelic Grounds!

Limerick by 4

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Really expect a good win on Sunday and a solid performance to boot.
    Been a great year so far with 1B promotion, beating Tipp, 2 shots at a Munster final now as well. We have been nice and consistent, havnt set the world alight but really solid.
    Support and buzz Id definitely up in the county too so a big crowd should show up.

We're better than Cork this year, showed that the second half down a man and I think Tipp made Waterford look much better than they are, gave them a huge early lead from unforced errors.
    I think if we can start out strongly and match Waterford effort the rest will fall in to place. I would rather we get the job done Sunday than having to go to Ennis needing a result.
    Only concern is that we seem to hit an awful amount of bad wides in the Gaelic Grounds!

We have hit them everywhere apart from last Saturday night. Any idea what the wide count was. All I know is I didnt curse as much as usual!!!!!

pajoguy wrote: »
    We have hit them everywhere apart from last Saturday night. Any idea what the wide count was. All I know is I didnt curse as much as usual!!!!!

I dont actually but it was visibly better than previous matches. I actually always struggle to find post match statistics for games so if anyone has a good website I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Very assured performance today. The second goal was a real sucker punch for Waterford. Our midfield and half forward line worked very hard and had too much energy for the Waterford half backs.

Hegarty took the goal brilliantly - great passage of play to create the chance.

Second half was a real containment exercise and just seeing out the game without trying to give Waterford a sniff when they started to go direct. The goal we conceded was poor and a pure lapse of concentration. Thought Tom Devine was the only Waterford forward to cover himself in glory today but I still think Casey did well.

Dowling was great from the frees and was very strong on the ball. Flanagan followed up his game in cork with another strong performance. He seems to always take the right option - laying it off or taking the shot.

Cian lynch was my man of the match today. When the game wasn't won in the first half he was at the heart of most of the things we did right - laying off ball, running at waterford, getting onto loose ball and picking up some scores. Cliché I know but he is reminiscent of Carey with his runs through the centre.

Reckon we should be able to beat Clare by 2 or three down in Ennis but that'll be a right good battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Lynch is just brilliant and DOD works great beside him

Kiely will pick the same 15, unfortunately for gillane

Subs not much impression again but match was a non event when some came on.

Did all 3 of our full back line go for the same ball for their goal

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Hope Lynch took only a slight cork or something, looked to be hobbling a bit. Him against Kelly will be worth the admission alone next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Was there an award for Man of the Match today and if so, who got it?

As a Tippman more than happy to row in behind what is a very exciting Limerick team.Having been in Pearse Stadium to witness the League win.This is no surprise.Keep up the great work and get behind this team.There is an All Ireland there and ye can do it this year.
    Great to see Dowling back also.Limerick are playing an intelligent blend of hurling that Clare are going to find difficult to match.I can see ye beating Clare 4 or 5 points.Clare were left in that game yesterday when they should have been buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Very well done yesterday folks, blew us off the park in every area of the pitch, was men against boys stuff during that first half especially. This Limerick outfit is a serious side, could be a very long summer for ye, all the best in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

great team win all involved take a bow
    come on limerick all the way
    great win

Definitely won't be the end of the world. And I don't think we will win. Hopefully wrong.
    In many ways finishing 3rd and building towards a semi final in a more metered way might be better than winning Munster and having a 4 week break.
    Clare are decent especially at home but no world beaters. All being fair I still rate them 5th in Munster. Since the Cork game everything has gone their way. They had by far the best schedule. Lost to Cork by 6 in what I saw as a fair result. At home to Waterford they were losing to a team without 2 of their most influential players and it took 4 more injuries and a red before they took over. I think Waterford we're winning until then.
    They had the perfect lead up to Tipp. 2 weeks prep against a team going the 4th time in 21 days. Despite Marty Morrisseys skin curling commentary, Tipp were the better side. They faded similar to how Cork did against us. The schedule won that game for Clare.
    We're a better side than them but I do fear we will struggle to put them away Sunday. Ennis is a hard place to win and they'll be much fresher. We're a young side so could have more energy than Tipp did in the last 10 minutes. We can get the result we need but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't and I dont think it'll be the end if the world either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Definitely won't be the end of the world. And I don't think we will win. Hopefully wrong.
    In many ways finishing 3rd and building towards a semi final in a more metered way might be better than winning Munster and having a 4 week break.
    Clare are decent especially at home but no world beaters. All being fair I still rate them 5th in Munster. Since the Cork game everything has gone their way. They had by far the best schedule. Lost to Cork by 6 in what I saw as a fair result. At home to Waterford they were losing to a team without 2 of their most influential players and it took 4 more injuries and a red before they took over. I think Waterford we're winning until then.
    They had the perfect lead up to Tipp. 2 weeks prep against a team going the 4th time in 21 days. Despite Marty Morrisseys skin curling commentary, Tipp were the better side. They faded similar to how Cork did against us. The schedule won that game for Clare.
    We're a better side than them but I do fear we will struggle to put them away Sunday. Ennis is a hard place to win and they'll be much fresher. We're a young side so could have more energy than Tipp did in the last 10 minutes. We can get the result we need but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't and I dont think it'll be the end if the world either.

Not sure I understand that, you seem to be saying Clare are poor but will still have too much for us... I actually think Clare are better than their performances to date, and this is a very useful test for us. I also prefer to keep going through the front door as there's nothing like a winning streak to build up confidence. We need to be beating Clare, even in the Cusack den, if we have serious intentions of downing Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Agree with most of what you've written but not certain on the above point. Cork may have been feeling some fatigue after 3 on the trot. But thats where things stopped in our favour. We lost our captain within 10 mins. We were down to 14 after 25 mins. And this on a ground that has never given us any bit of favour. It's a bit of disservice to say that performance was due to things going in our favour. They fought like dogs and earned every bit of that draw

Win, lose or (whod bet against it) draw Sunday, this team has strength of character and resilience.

Not sure I understand that, you seem to be saying Clare are poor but will still have too much for us... I actually think Clare are better than their performances to date, and this is a very useful test for us. I also prefer to keep going through the front door as there's nothing like a winning streak to build up confidence. We need to be beating Clare, even in the Cusack den, if we have serious intentions of downing Galway.

It simple, the weakest in Munster in my mind. But keep in mind the gap in Munster is not that great. It is possible to have a stronger side and still to lose a game. I think Limerick are a stronger side but I feel circumstances will mean that Clare will nick it (our 3rd game straight, home advantage). And although it will mean missing out on a Munster final. The way the set up is this year that may not be a bad thing. It will also quell too much hype.

• Advertisement

It simple, the weakest in Munster in my mind. But keep in mind the gap in Munster is not that great. It is possible to have a stronger side and still to lose a game. I think Limerick are a stronger side but I feel circumstances will mean that Clare will nick it (our 3rd game straight, home advantage). And although it will mean missing out on a Munster final. The way the set up is this year that may not be a bad thing. It will also quell too much hype.

Yea,very fair comment. Clare weren't very good last Sunday.Tipp should have had them buried in the first half.I'd expect Limerick to be more ruthless.Not much to separate the sides alright but Limerick to win by 5 or 6.

Advertisement