Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Gillane has an ankle injury it's been bothering him for a while but my guess is he,ll be fine. Casey had his appendix removed as far as I'm aware I know there's reports saying he's a shoulder injury and maybe that's true as well but it looks like he won't make the tipp match he's a big loss but we do have options apparently pat Ryan is burning it up in training and could be close

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

lim4ev wrote: »
    Gillane has an ankle injury it's been bothering him for a while but my guess is he,ll be fine. Casey had his appendix removed as far as I'm aware I know there's reports saying he's a shoulder injury and maybe that's true as well but it looks like he won't make the tipp match he's a big loss but we do have options apparently pat Ryan is burning it up in training and could be close

Gillane started today for Patrickswell so looks you're right. He should be fine , hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Gillane has been palying non stop all winter, he's currently our most potent forward, foot should off the ground for the next 2 weeks to get a bit of recovery (I'm not exactly medically qualified to make that decision though)

Would like to see Greame Mulcahy given a chance in absence of Casey. He deserves a shot under a decent coach and form is very good for club and when given a few minutes against tipp, he's a natural like Casey and gillane

Would like to see Greame Mulcahy given a chance in absence of Casey. He deserves a shot under a decent coach and form is very good for club and when given a few minutes against tipp, he's a natural like Casey and gillane

I'd agree re gilane resting his foot paddy not sure I'd agree re mulcahy I know you make the point that we,re under better coaches I also believe he's down the mgt pecking order,it looks like p casey is out so I think our ff line will be dowling flanagan gillane and our hf line something like hego hayes and Dempsey considering the options here I just don't know why they didn't try hego and Hayes in hb line though I think Hayes is better off in hf line for moment anyway. Like I've left out morrissey nash o Donovan downes from what I've seen so far I think they could play hego at 9 and play o Donovan at 11 with Hayes and Dempsey on the wings

• Advertisement

We have Myriad options alright and Kiely is going to build to next year which is against mul, but would think he deserves a shot on form

I'm really looking forward to the match Sunday and I hope we play to our potential. If we can improve our shooting accuracy from the league we should be in with a great chance. What do people think the lineup will be ?

I can't see our keeper or defence being changed from the league as Kiely was fairly consistent with the backline. So I think it will be Quaid Finn Hickey English Byrnes Morrissey Hannon. Cian lynch will start midfield but I'm not sure who will partner him. Browne will probably start there. I would like to see Darragh O Donovan there but he missed alot of the league through injury.

Hegarty and Hayes will start in the half forward line probably partnered by Tom Morrissey. David Dempsey performed very well for Na Piarsiagh and could also slot in there but I think Kiely will go with that half forward line. The full forward line is probably the hardest to predict but I think Kiely will go with Gillane, Flanagan and one of Mulcahy/Downes/Dowling. Peter Casey would have been nailed on for me but he misses out through injury. Its crazy to think that we could potentially line up without a Na Piarsiagh player starting.

The panel will come into play more so this year with the changed format. M, Casey, D, Dempsey, C,Ryan, W, O'Donoghue, Dowling, R, McCarthy, Downes and Nash all being players who could start in some of the upcoming matches. Hopefully our strong panel will see us qualify for the final in what will be a very competitive Munster Championship !!

Gillane should not be risked if not 100%. We have a week off and then Cork, other than that he will go with the team he picked predominately throughout the league.

We can beat tipp but not with old failings of keeping them in the game but not taking chances (Flanagan needs to lash first chance over the bar) and giving up soft goals (full back will be tested massively sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hegarty and Hayes will start in the half forward line probably partnered by Tom Morrissey. David Dempsey performed very well for Na Piarsiagh and could also slot in there but I think Kiely will go with that half forward line. The full forward line is probably the hardest to predict but I think Kiely will go with Gillane, Flanagan and one of Mulcahy/Downes/Dowling. Peter Casey would have been nailed on for me but he misses out through injury. Its crazy to think that we could potentially line up without a Na Piarsiagh player starting

Amazingly, Galway footballers lined out last Sunday without a single Corofin player in the starting 15, a brilliant team that won the A.I. club football 2 months ago.

I think its clear from Kiely interview that he is going to build to this year, which means he probably won't start a team I want to see, but he knows best at this stage

We can win this from the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Getting out of Munster will be an achievement in itself. After that a quarter final or even semi would make it a good year considering promotion. Roll on Sunday. If we could just halve the wide count from the last few league games that would be 6 or 7 points extra in a game. And all our games seem to be tight.

Team as expected 2 backs in the forwards won't work. Disappointed but can still win off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Team as expected 2 backs in the forwards won't work. Disappointed but can still win off the bench

I've totally come around to hegarty at half forward I think he was out of all proportion improved in the league. Half forward suits Hayes now too. Those two give us a platform at half forward. They also provide a lot of cover to the half back line, which needs it I think, form not great there.

I would have hoped to see a bit more cutting edge in the other four forwards, but that's probably the best we have apart from Dowling. Casey loss, Gillane the most free scoring of what's left there. No downes or Nash in the subs is a disappointment.

Hegarty maybe but not hayes. We wouldn't need to bolster our back line if we just picked the right half backs. He's gone for work rate hence no Nash. It's there for us if we can grab it. Let's see how it goes tomorrow

Hegarty maybe but not hayes. We wouldn't need to bolster our back line if we just picked the right half backs. He's gone for work rate hence no Nash. It's there for us if we can grab it. Let's see how it goes tomorrow

I think Nash is carrying a knock, his not on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Footballers lost to Clare but the real talking point is Billy Lee and his dealings with the County Board this week which he discussed in his post match interview:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0519/964704-treaty-boss-reveals-he-considered-forfeiting-clare-game/

It's grim really. The likes of Kilkenny have been pilloried over the years for not doing anything regarding football, but the reality is that in this regard we are no better (And at least Kilkenny have had rampant success to somewhat justify their method of approach).

Bottom line is that this sort of muckology should not be happening. Sadly though it's just the tip of the iceberg in this county.

Kiely has created a problem here for himself with hickey.

Well doesn't get any easier to analyse matches than that

Tipp were gash, and we kept them in it.

Hickey never again we have 4 better options

Hayes is not a centre forward, at least 4 better options

Morrisseys made errors for both goals would retain tom

One of dowling/downes/Dempsey/Nash etc to start at half forward

Gillane and mulcahy excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Thought that was a very assured performance in ways. Never panicked and stuck to the game plan of trying to lay off a ball to a man in a better position even when the goals went in which were against the run of play.

Thought Declan Hannon put in a good performance. Midfield got on a lot of ball. Plenty room for improvement

That's a big step towards qualification for the next phase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Definitely a different look about us this year. Size, fitness, astute tactics, not afraid to win. May as well hand over Liam now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Definitely a different look about us this year. Size, fitness, astute tactics, not afraid to win. May as well hand over Liam now :pac:

Stop that talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Good enough for today. Lots of endeavor by everyone. Scope for improvement in all lines really, Full-back line especially but that may because of lack if cover from outside too. Gillane played well but free-taking will have to improve on todays performance, I thought the subs all contributed positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Well doesn't get any easier to analyse matches than that

Tipp were gash, and we kept them in it.

Hickey never again we have 4 better options

Hayes is not a centre forward, at least 4 better options

Morrisseys made errors for both goals would retain tom

One of dowling/downes/Dempsey/Nash etc to start at half forward

Gillane and mulcahy excellent

Nash wasnt even on panel. Agree with all of that. I watched dan morrisey carefully and what i learned is that our management have a lot to answer to. Any number of lads are better yet he and brother guaranteed place. Hickey a spent force for years. Saying all this again and again and no point in not saying it straight. Lets celebrate beating a brutal tipp team. Tipp totally under performed. Management have missed a chance to have a possible all ireland winning team by playing Morrissey, Hickey and Hegarty regardless of performance while better players can't make panel. We could have a full back nicely blooded in past two years but now what have we? Missed opportunities and all to keep the usual people happy. Lucky to get win. Hope a full back emerges and they start playing players for reasons other than who their daddy is. Then we can have a chance to win an all ireland. Not far off capable of taking a Munster though, looking at other teams. Maybe that will do limerick supporters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Tom morrissey much improved compared to previous years. I agree hickey and Dan morrissey shouldn't be starting but hegarty is very useful and needs to be utilised, be it half forward or half back

Annoyed by the idea that the morrisseys might be getting the nod on influence

The na p tweet wasn't helpful either

Hopefully this team can break with our tradition of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pajoguy

We have caught up physically and thats a massive step to take. Mike casey will surley start in 2 weeks. At least we have a bench to make an impact. Well done today. Heads down and on we go again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

As they are are saying over on the Tipp thread, that Premier county performance was possibly the worst in living memory. Yet they were ahead at half-time and, in Kiely's words, managed to get 'buckets of ball' into our defence in the last 15 minutes. So we might not be as good as we looked or as we think we are. The Cork-Clare game certainly looked a much faster-paced affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Well done Limerick.A very assured performance despite some poor shooting in the first 30 mins.Gillane is a serious talent.He always does the right thing in possession and has very capable players around him which Limerick can build on.I can see Limerick making the last 4 if not more.They are playing without fear.They responded very well after Forde's goal(totally against the run of play)
    Tipp really need to pick it up.An embarrassing performance.You would have to expect a resurgent performance in Thurles Sunday,but won't hold my breath.No tactics or gameplan from Ryan.seems all a bit disjointed.Without Bonner,that attack doesnt function.Had a feeling Limerick would win this easy given his absence.

Hockied wrote: »
    Nash wasnt even on panel. Agree with all of that. I watched dan morrisey carefully and what i learned is that our management have a lot to answer to. Any number of lads are better yet he and brother guaranteed place. Hickey a spent force for years. Saying all this again and again and no point in not saying it straight. Lets celebrate beating a brutal tipp team. Tipp totally under performed. Management have missed a chance to have a possible all ireland winning team by playing Morrissey, Hickey and Hegarty regardless of performance while better players can't make panel. We could have a full back nicely blooded in past two years but now what have we? Missed opportunities and all to keep the usual people happy. Lucky to get win. Hope a full back emerges and they start playing players for reasons other than who their daddy is. Then we can have a chance to win an all ireland. Not far off capable of taking a Munster though, looking at other teams. Maybe that will do limerick supporters ?[/QUO

My god what a post did we not win today bringing players parents in to it what game were you watching today far from a complete performance but will take it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hockied wrote: »
    Nash wasnt even on panel. Agree with all of that. I watched dan morrisey carefully and what i learned is that our management have a lot to answer to. Any number of lads are better yet he and brother guaranteed place. Hickey a spent force for years. Saying all this again and again and no point in not saying it straight. Lets celebrate beating a brutal tipp team. Tipp totally under performed. Management have missed a chance to have a possible all ireland winning team by playing Morrissey, Hickey and Hegarty regardless of performance while better players can't make panel. We could have a full back nicely blooded in past two years but now what have we? Missed opportunities and all to keep the usual people happy. Lucky to get win. Hope a full back emerges and they start playing players for reasons other than who their daddy is. Then we can have a chance to win an all ireland. Not far off capable of taking a Munster though, looking at other teams. Maybe that will do limerick supporters ?

That post is nearly as bad as Tipp were!! Hegarty was a collosus yesterday and caused Tipp untold damage, he is not a natural forward but by god is he a handful, you will win nothing without ball winners like Hegarty. Tipp would snap your hand off for a Hegarty.

Advertisement