Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marijuana Stocks, legalities for Irish Investors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 owltrader

Tnks for the tip. Yeah think so the hype is not at the top yet. Will try buy some dips not much money actually. But I know I'm late for the party..

Lads is there any group to talk live about the markets and opportunities? Like Telegram, Discord or something like that.. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Join a live trading room.

which on u recommends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

owltrader wrote: »
    Lads is there any group to talk live about the markets and opportunities? Like Telegram, Discord or something like that.. cheers.

Reddit weedstocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

Just found this thread!

Looking to invest in Cronos Group (CRON) given their growth prospects now look excellent with the $1.8 billion investment by Altria! That's going to allow them to scale massively and invest heavily in R&D.

Has anyone invested lately?

route9 wrote: »
    Just found this thread!

Looking to invest in Cronos Group (CRON) given their growth prospects now look excellent with the $1.8 billion investment by Altria! That's going to allow them to scale massively and invest heavily in R&D.

Has anyone invested lately?

Just took a little punt on RTI at $1CA. Apparently a better patented form of extraction.

then I think that's me done , it's been too much of a roller coaster for my health :pac:

Because it's post legalisation I doubt the crazy rises will appear again. Everyone is focused on the boring ordinary stuff like cost of producing, earnings, mergers, acquisitions yadda yadda. So be careful about thinking it's an exciting new opportunity.
    Loads of pumping going on... and here's my pump.

Aphria... short attack over so probably heading back to $20 . Customers love the broken coast brand supported by Aphria.
    Canopy : The sensible big boss bet, but doubt it'll push past 70 again for a long time. It tipped 60ish again but back in the 50s again
    ACB : Loads of people pi$$$$$ng on this but it's big enough to have a presence globally.
    Organigram: the new favourite. Don't think it's big enough to justify anything above 10 in the meantime.

3 bios worth looking at
    InMed
    RTI
    TBP

But again, it's clinical trials so a long punt. If it replaces painkillers and other drugs with serious side effects then they could be good.

I tipped another biopharma Kaly before at 17c (sorry!) but they're dwindling down around 8c . Could be a while yet before trials are in but im still tempted to 'average down'... i saw them go to 45c but didn't sell, like an idiot :(
    They're one to watch for a rinse and repeat every few months.

Cronos: Never put them on my radar for some reason.

Seems like more and more countries are smelling tax dollars so the Canadians might have won out on the 1st mover advantage.

USA are just messy and all over the shop, but you might see some private money swoop in and take it all.

Just took a little punt on RTI at $1CA. Apparently a better patented form of extraction.

then I think that's me done , it's been too much of a roller coaster for my health :pac:

Because it's post legalisation I doubt the crazy rises will appear again. Everyone is focused on the boring ordinary stuff like cost of producing, earnings, mergers, acquisitions yadda yadda. So be careful about thinking it's an exciting new opportunity.
    Loads of pumping going on... and here's my pump.

Aphria... short attack over so probably heading back to $20 . Customers love the broken coast brand supported by Aphria.
    Canopy : The sensible big boss bet, but doubt it'll push past 70 again for a long time. It tipped 60ish again but back in the 50s again
    ACB : Loads of people pi$$$$$ng on this but it's big enough to have a presence globally.
    Organigram: the new favourite. Don't think it's big enough to justify anything above 10 in the meantime.

3 bios worth looking at
    InMed
    RTI
    TBP

But again, it's clinical trials so a long punt. If it replaces painkillers and other drugs with serious side effects then they could be good.

I tipped another biopharma Kaly before at 17c (sorry!) but they're dwindling down around 8c . Could be a while yet before trials are in but im still tempted to 'average down'... i saw them go to 45c but didn't sell, like an idiot :(
    They're one to watch for a rinse and repeat every few months.

Cronos: Never put them on my radar for some reason.

Seems like more and more countries are smelling tax dollars so the Canadians might have won out on the 1st mover advantage.

USA are just messy and all over the shop, but you might see some private money swoop in and take it all.

Yeah definitely seems like there's not going to be a huge lift, even if it's legalised at a federal level in the US, there should be a surge but probably not a massive one and it'll level out then I reckon. Might be a slow burner over time. That said, in three years it could be up in the hundreds per share, that'll be a big jump from $20!

Surprised Cronos hasn't been on your radar, it's gone from a dollar to $20 in two years! That would have been a sweet profit to make! The reason I am considering investing is what if it goes from $20 to something like $80 or $100 after full legalisation in the US and / or excellent earnings results. And onwards and upwards from there...

Even a doubling of the share price in the short term would be pretty sweet, although I'd be investing for the medium-long term.

Yeah definitely seems like there's not going to be a huge lift, even if it's legalised at a federal level in the US, there should be a surge but probably not a massive one and it'll level out then I reckon. Might be a slow burner over time. That said, in three years it could be up in the hundreds per share, that'll be a big jump from $20!

Surprised Cronos hasn't been on your radar, it's gone from a dollar to $20 in two years! That would have been a sweet profit to make! The reason I am considering investing is what if it goes from $20 to something like $80 or $100 after full legalisation in the US and / or excellent earnings results. And onwards and upwards from there...

Even a doubling of the share price in the short term would be pretty sweet, although I'd be investing for the medium-long term.

I've had Canopy go from $9 to $60 so that's kept me distracted:D
    Only had a small play though. Shoulda thrown everything I could scrape together into it.

In terms of full legalistaion in the US I can't see it happening at a federal level for at least another year or so.

Do you follow r/weedstocks ? It had a steady level of new subscribers but there's been a jump of 20k in the last month so I suspect every post may not be genuine, although it's always been that way to some degree but this looks like the sharks are controlling the sentiment.

• Advertisement

I've had Canopy go from $9 to $60 so that's kept me distracted:D
    Only had a small play though. Shoulda thrown everything I could scrape together into it.

In terms of full legalistaion in the US I can't see it happening at a federal level for at least another year or so.

Do you follow r/weedstocks ? It had a steady level of new subscribers but there's been a jump of 20k in the last month so I suspect every post may not be genuine, although it's always been that way to some degree but this looks like the sharks are controlling the sentiment.

Ah I had a quick look the other day but don't like Reddit - so messy. I would take those opinions and most others with a pinch of salt anyway! I did read an interview with one investor saying he thinks CRON is massively overvalued, and that the Altria deal hasn't even been approved yet.

The Trump administration is apparently against any changes to federal laws, and so if he gets in again it could be a long time before it is legalised.

Do you reckon there'd be a huge jump if it did happen? I would say aside from that it could be a slow burner. At the same time I don't see it going down too much.

Sure, it could drop from $20 to $10 or below or whatever, but I'd say it's more likely to be around the same or up around the $30-$40 mark a year from now, if the Altria deal is approved, they report good earnings and more states legalise.

Just not sure if it's worth it, although if it's up at $100 or something in 18 months / 2 years, I'll be like noooooo :)

CRON is on the up...

Ah I had a quick look the other day but don't like Reddit - so messy. I would take those opinions and most others with a pinch of salt anyway! I did read an interview with one investor saying he thinks CRON is massively overvalued, and that the Altria deal hasn't even been approved yet.

The Trump administration is apparently against any changes to federal laws, and so if he gets in again it could be a long time before it is legalised.

Do you reckon there'd be a huge jump if it did happen? I would say aside from that it could be a slow burner. At the same time I don't see it going down too much.

Sure, it could drop from $20 to $10 or below or whatever, but I'd say it's more likely to be around the same or up around the $30-$40 mark a year from now, if the Altria deal is approved, they report good earnings and more states legalise.

Just not sure if it's worth it, although if it's up at $100 or something in 18 months / 2 years, I'll be like noooooo :)

Well Aphria seems to be making a good recovery from $6 to $13 !

Few possible dangers:

Anyone thinking about a reversal if Trudeau bites the dust!

Or will America just go nationwide and become the new kid in town. More and more states are changing.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch publish report on possible direction things will take. Very interesting and up to date

https://www.docdroid.net/WZeFS5z/a-cannabis-world.pdf#page=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on this industry, over the last year. Must admit, Im surprised as I expected more and more coverage, wide spread acceptance - be it for medicinal, recreational, or even both.

I put a few quid into two ETFs, both offered me diversification, low cost entry without needing to do significant research etc.

* Horizons Marijuana Units Class A (cad)

* Etf Managers Trust Etfmg Alternative Harvest

Obviously, this is a bit of a long term play, comes with fairly high risk, but I'm hoping it may solve day become the next paracetamol.

Thanks,

G.

Another Fund Launched:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0611/1146909-medical-cannabis-private-equity-fund-established/

Ireland's first ever private equity medical cannabis fund has been established.

The new venture has been set up by Crossroads Capital Management Limited (CCM) and Óskare Capital SAS.
    [\quote]

Edited to include newspaper article on the fund :

https://m.independent.ie/business/first-irish-based-cannabis-fund-launched-in-dublin-39279232.html

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

garrettod wrote: »
    Another Fund Launched:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0611/1146909-medical-cannabis-private-equity-fund-established/

Ireland's first ever private equity medical cannabis fund has been established.

The new venture has been set up by Crossroads Capital Management Limited (CCM) and Óskare Capital SAS.

Jeez they're a bit late to the party. Not clear who they are funding!

Edit: ok seems to be headed up by Bruce Linton no less, good find Garrett of , he was top dog in one of the biggest companies Canopy ,

"Was"

Then he went to a few more things
    Then

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bruce-linton-fired-again-readies-new-global-pot-fund-1.1447688

I think there's enough doing research at this stage.
    But hey , I doubt money is his motivation as he's all good with cashing out shares from Canopy, so maybe he reckons he can crack Europe before the others get to it (although they're here already).

Watch this space.

Treppen wrote: »
    Jeez they're a bit late to the party. Not clear who they are funding!

Edit: ok seems to be headed up by Bruce Linton no less, he was top dog in one of the biggest companies Canopy , "Was". Then he went to a few more things, Then

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bruce-linton-fired-again-readies-new-global-pot-fund-1.1447688

I think there's enough doing research at this stage.
    But hey , I doubt money is his motivation as he's all good with cashing out shares from Canopy, so maybe he reckons he can crack Europe before the others get to it (although they're here already).

Hi,

Interesting article about Linton, thanks.

When I read the bit where he's described as "aggressive", I started wondering was he like Ryanair's Michael O'Leary, or perhaps just too aggressive to work with? I've no idea btw, just got thinking about it. There's no doubt that you need to push to get what you want, and credit to him when you see him putting his own money on the line, but you can also be OTT, so there's an important fine line that you shouldn't cross.

I'm gonna stick with my two ETFs above for now, for exposure to this sector - it's a high risk play to begin with, so diversification, reasonably modest fees, and a liquid market to buy or sell when I want, appeal to me more.

Thanks,

G.

Hi,

Interesting article about Linton, thanks.

When I read the bit where he's described as "aggressive", I started wondering was he like Ryanair's Michael O'Leary, or perhaps just too aggressive to work with? I've no idea btw, just got thinking about it. There's no doubt that you need to push to get what you want, and credit to him when you see him putting his own money on the line, but you can also be OTT, so there's an important fine line that you shouldn't cross.

I'm gonna stick with my two ETFs above for now, for exposure to this sector - it's a high risk play to begin with, so diversification, reasonably modest fees, and a liquid market to buy or sell when I want, appeal to me more.

Which two ETFs are they? Horizons?

The guy is motivated alright, although he's burned a lot of bridges and people who didn't cash out have turned on him pretty bad https://www.reddit.com/r/weedstocks/comments/gzmzzp/bruce_linton_fired_again_readies_new_global_pot/
    No doubt he knows the movers and shakers in the industry. He got the alcohol company constellation brands (Coors!) To buy up most of a weed company so maybe Diageo might be in his sights!!!

I think there were a few research groups here in Ireland already backed by Canadian companies
    greenlightmedicines .
    Sounds a bit like the dot-com bubble

Which two ETFs are they? Horizons?

Hi,

Yes, Horizons is one of them...

* Horizons Marijuana Units Class A (cad)

* Etf Managers Trust Etfmg Alternative Harvest

I haven't bet the house on them, just a small amount into each ETF and will let them sit for a few years.

If this stuff becomes the next penecilon then great, or likewise if its becomes popular in drinks, but if not, then I'm sure that people will still be smoking it to get high, so will hopefully be okay.

Thanks,

G.

Any thoughts on Tilray looks like some growth opportunity.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on Tilray looks like some growth opportunity.

Only reading up on them a little now, tbh.i haven't been following the industry too closely.

Here's the link to an article from The Fool, for a quick summary, although The Fool can have a funny view on stocks, so DYOR:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/02/03/could-tilray-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

This is all medium to longer term stuff, IMHO. The initial flurry of activity took place a couple of years ago, now most of the short term investors have moved on to EVs, or whatever WSB tells them to do etc. The rest of us, are sitting quietly, as we expected to do.

There's been a bit of uplift generally, from what I can see. The two ETFs that I mentioned above, have been on the up of late (and also paid small dividends, yipeee!!! ).

While I'm happy to stay in for another few years, then review, I'm not sure that I would rush into individual companies, without something significant to attract me. I rather the risk is diversified a bit, hence the ETFs.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive been in and out of Canopy over the last few years and when the share price goes up it goes up but the down size can be big. Expectations coming up to results can push the price but if expectations arent met theres a massive drop.

neris wrote: »
    Ive been in and out of Canopy over the last few years and when the share price goes up it goes up but the down size can be big. Expectations coming up to results can push the price but if expectations arent met theres a massive drop.

Ya it seems like Deja vu all over again. This time though things have slightly changed with US looking like a dead cert for legalisation. But I think It'll go state by state rather than Federal, so expect more ups and downs, once it reaches a critical mass of states then it's going to trigger a frenzy.

I wouldn't get into Canopy or Aphria right now though. I'm just going to cash out my smaller canna-bio-penny stocks and watch them plummet when people realise there's no miracle 'wonder drug' coming through.

Medipharm and Organigram interest me in terms of where they've been in the past. I need to start pumping over on r/weedstocks

TILARY is making inroads to Europe, now deals done with Portugal, Spain and France. It's also got 20% of the Canadian market.
    Just looking at a few there they seem to behaving very similar, good for day trading with those swings if you get the timing right.

TILARY is making inroads to Europe, now deals done with Portugal, Spain and France. It's also got 20% of the Canadian market.
    Just looking at a few there they seem to behaving very similar, good for day trading with those swings if you get the timing right.

Tilray and Aphria are going to merge.
    So buying shares in either is one in the same, yes?no?

Edit: Think I'll start a new thread as this one is old (but still nostalgic)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116167536#post116167536

What was the point in starting a new thread, unless you want it exclusively for discussion on the Tilray merger, and future of that combined company?

If you do just want to discuss that company, can I suggest that you change the title to your new thread, to clarify ?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I bought afew Grow Generation shares last week during the GME market pullback, and they have shot up 28% since, I don't know much about them at all, other than I wanted some cannabis stock in my portfolio. Hard to know should I take my quick gains now or hold onto them for longer, anyone know if any possible catalyst coming up for them soon?

Timmaay wrote: »
    I bought afew Grow Generation shares last week during the GME market pullback, and they have shot up 28% since, I don't know much about them at all, other than I wanted some cannabis stock in my portfolio. Hard to know should I take my quick gains now or hold onto them for longer, anyone know if any possible catalyst coming up for them soon?

Basically everything has shot up. It's just hard to know.

What was the point in starting a new thread, unless you want it exclusively for discussion on the Tilray merger, and future of that combined company?

If you do just want to discuss that company, can I suggest that you change the title to your new thread, to clarify ?

Naa it was just to continue on this thread and start again but without the "legalities" question in the title. But ya I suppose shur we'll stay goin with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Naa it was just to continue on this thread and start again but without the "legalities" question in the title. But ya I suppose shur we'll stay goin with this one.

The first question of this thread is funny..

On weed stocks. I am starting to come back around to them I got burnt to **** on Aurora about 2/3 years ago I was in before the 12:1 R:S the company seems to be doomed. Possibility to make profit in the short medium.

Aphira seem to be the best of the lot.

Sundial is another I threw some coin at but haven't looked into it too much!

• Advertisement

I'm not intending to hold any long just play the swings daily. I'm expecting a gap up at opening with Tilary today but I'll be taking profit if it's there.

Probably take a position in Aurora if it comes back a bit closer to range.

I'm not intending to hold any long just play the swings daily. I'm expecting a gap up at opening with Tilary today but I'll be taking profit if it's there.

Probably take a position in Aurora if it comes back a bit closer to range.

All my % changes are red now so looks like it's a cooling off time!.. or a shakedown :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I'm in it with a very small amount since .60c and kinda just throwing spare money at it but sndl has a nice short %.

EtdtSwLWgAMoCNy?format=jpg&name=large

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I'm in it with a very small amount since .60c and kinda just throwing spare money at it but sndl has a nice short %.

EtdtSwLWgAMoCNy?format=jpg&name=large

I've never bothered with shorting so have zero knowledge, what info are you getting from that data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got out of Canopy over the last 2 days was touching a high and then down to much for comfort

There's a lot of small stocks in the industry, very difficult to know which ones are the better bets, so I'll just stick with my ETFs for this sector - Hedge my bets, while others do the research.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I’m 68% up on Akerna. I did mention it on one of the threads; hopefully a few people have it in their portfolio!

I’m 68% up on Akerna. I did mention it on one of the threads; hopefully a few people have it in their portfolio!

Cheers, up 20% since $7.10

Everything green is in the green and getting greener. Even Organigram is making a comeback!

ACB can go ******* my *********

Cheers, up 20% since $7.10

Everything green is in the green and getting greener. Even Organigram is making a comeback!

ACB can go ******* my *********

Good stuff 👍👍 A crazy day in the markets! I was in green on basically everything. I was up 9.40% for the day. If I do half as well tomorrow I’ll be delighted. Happy days!!

• Advertisement

Good stuff ���� A crazy day in the markets! I was in green on basically everything. I was up 9.40% for the day. If I do half as well tomorrow I’ll be delighted. Happy days!!

That's the easy part.... no comes the part where I usually mess up...

Sell or Hold?
    (I don't really have enough to do a bit of both)

That's the easy part.... no comes the part where I usually mess up...

Sell or Hold?
    (I don't really have enough to do a bit of both)

What I will say is; Akerna constantly going up and down so its a volatility stock for sure. Personally I’m going to hold it a bit longer as it has gone higher that what is closed at last night. But do try to get out with whatever profit you’re comfortable taking!

What I will say is; Akerna constantly going up and down so its a volatility stock for sure. Personally I’m going to hold it a bit longer as it has gone higher that what is closed at last night. But do try to get out with whatever profit you’re comfortable taking!

Ya I was so tempted to dump everything yesterday but held... Up all around again.

Ya I was so tempted to dump everything yesterday but held... Up all around again.

I wouldn’t blame you!! I thought it was going to be down today after yesterday’s highs. I’m up E1,300 on it so I’m being very greedy now... I’m also doing well with Aurora Cannabis.

I kept buying and selling over the last week, took my profits off the table every day. I'm still weary after waiting so long to get a return from hive.

Is there anything worth looking at, thought Tilary was a buy but I still reckoned it was overpriced on the fundamentals.

I wouldn’t blame you!! I thought it was going to be down today after yesterday’s highs. I’m up E1,300 on it so I’m being very greedy now... I’m also doing well with Aurora Cannabis.

Ya I wouldn't be a strong fan of Aurora as I was badly stung with promises of warehouses the size of cities (Aurora Sky anyone!).

After 2 years of being burned with trash investments I'm back in the green again... although I'd have to sell to make that true.:pac:

I think Medipharm might have a way to go yet.

Have to say Degiro are really taking the proverbial with their slow updates. Yahoo Finance is the most up to date.

• Advertisement

Ya I wouldn't be a strong fan of Aurora as I was badly stung with promises of warehouses the size of cities (Aurora Sky anyone!).

After 2 years of being burned with trash investments I'm back in the green again... although I'd have to sell to make that true.:pac:

I think Medipharm might have a way to go yet.

Have to say Degiro are really taking the proverbial with their slow updates. Yahoo Finance is the most up to date.

Cheers for the tip on Medipharm. But I really can’t more Companies to my portfolio! Its hard enough to watch 28; haha..

Aurora is constantly up and down. Their results are out in less than a week and from what I have read they nay be ok so I may hold on a bit longer there. Hopefully I don’t regret it!

Perhaps Akerna will break 10 today? Aurora Cannabis is flying also!

Sundial just keeps going, going to take profit now in the afternoon and swing trade it to something else.

Might be a good idea, these guys that come out of nowhere like sundial have yet to turn profit so have seen a pile on.

I got out of a few small players with the intention of getting in again when the pot stops boiling.

Although I think I'll stay with Medipharm.

Seriously.... Aphria, Tilray, Canopy ? Are they done yet?

Saw the below on twitter.

For anyone watching the $TLRY stock this past week don’t forget “each Aphria ( $APHA ) share will receive 0.8381 shares of Tilray.” At the current price of $59.95 $APHA shares will be worth $50.244 $APHA is currently worth $26.00

• Advertisement
Advertisement