Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marijuana Stocks, legalities for Irish Investors?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

CRON is on the up...

route9 wrote: »
    Ah I had a quick look the other day but don't like Reddit - so messy. I would take those opinions and most others with a pinch of salt anyway! I did read an interview with one investor saying he thinks CRON is massively overvalued, and that the Altria deal hasn't even been approved yet.

The Trump administration is apparently against any changes to federal laws, and so if he gets in again it could be a long time before it is legalised.

Do you reckon there'd be a huge jump if it did happen? I would say aside from that it could be a slow burner. At the same time I don't see it going down too much.

Sure, it could drop from $20 to $10 or below or whatever, but I'd say it's more likely to be around the same or up around the $30-$40 mark a year from now, if the Altria deal is approved, they report good earnings and more states legalise.

Just not sure if it's worth it, although if it's up at $100 or something in 18 months / 2 years, I'll be like noooooo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well Aphria seems to be making a good recovery from $6 to $13 !

Few possible dangers:

Anyone thinking about a reversal if Trudeau bites the dust!

Or will America just go nationwide and become the new kid in town. More and more states are changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Bank of America Merrill Lynch publish report on possible direction things will take. Very interesting and up to date

https://www.docdroid.net/WZeFS5z/a-cannabis-world.pdf#page=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on this industry, over the last year. Must admit, Im surprised as I expected more and more coverage, wide spread acceptance - be it for medicinal, recreational, or even both.

I put a few quid into two ETFs, both offered me diversification, low cost entry without needing to do significant research etc.

* Horizons Marijuana Units Class A (cad)

* Etf Managers Trust Etfmg Alternative Harvest

Obviously, this is a bit of a long term play, comes with fairly high risk, but I'm hoping it may solve day become the next paracetamol.

Thanks,

G.

Another Fund Launched:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0611/1146909-medical-cannabis-private-equity-fund-established/

Ireland's first ever private equity medical cannabis fund has been established.

The new venture has been set up by Crossroads Capital Management Limited (CCM) and Óskare Capital SAS.
    [\quote]

Edited to include newspaper article on the fund :

https://m.independent.ie/business/first-irish-based-cannabis-fund-launched-in-dublin-39279232.html

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

garrettod wrote: »
    Another Fund Launched:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0611/1146909-medical-cannabis-private-equity-fund-established/

Ireland's first ever private equity medical cannabis fund has been established.

The new venture has been set up by Crossroads Capital Management Limited (CCM) and Óskare Capital SAS.

Jeez they're a bit late to the party. Not clear who they are funding!

Edit: ok seems to be headed up by Bruce Linton no less, good find Garrett of , he was top dog in one of the biggest companies Canopy ,

"Was"

Then he went to a few more things
    Then

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bruce-linton-fired-again-readies-new-global-pot-fund-1.1447688

I think there's enough doing research at this stage.
    But hey , I doubt money is his motivation as he's all good with cashing out shares from Canopy, so maybe he reckons he can crack Europe before the others get to it (although they're here already).

Watch this space.

Treppen wrote: »
    Jeez they're a bit late to the party. Not clear who they are funding!

Edit: ok seems to be headed up by Bruce Linton no less, he was top dog in one of the biggest companies Canopy , "Was". Then he went to a few more things, Then

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bruce-linton-fired-again-readies-new-global-pot-fund-1.1447688

I think there's enough doing research at this stage.
    But hey , I doubt money is his motivation as he's all good with cashing out shares from Canopy, so maybe he reckons he can crack Europe before the others get to it (although they're here already).

Hi,

Interesting article about Linton, thanks.

When I read the bit where he's described as "aggressive", I started wondering was he like Ryanair's Michael O'Leary, or perhaps just too aggressive to work with? I've no idea btw, just got thinking about it. There's no doubt that you need to push to get what you want, and credit to him when you see him putting his own money on the line, but you can also be OTT, so there's an important fine line that you shouldn't cross.

I'm gonna stick with my two ETFs above for now, for exposure to this sector - it's a high risk play to begin with, so diversification, reasonably modest fees, and a liquid market to buy or sell when I want, appeal to me more.

Thanks,

G.

Hi,

Interesting article about Linton, thanks.

When I read the bit where he's described as "aggressive", I started wondering was he like Ryanair's Michael O'Leary, or perhaps just too aggressive to work with? I've no idea btw, just got thinking about it. There's no doubt that you need to push to get what you want, and credit to him when you see him putting his own money on the line, but you can also be OTT, so there's an important fine line that you shouldn't cross.

I'm gonna stick with my two ETFs above for now, for exposure to this sector - it's a high risk play to begin with, so diversification, reasonably modest fees, and a liquid market to buy or sell when I want, appeal to me more.

Which two ETFs are they? Horizons?

The guy is motivated alright, although he's burned a lot of bridges and people who didn't cash out have turned on him pretty bad https://www.reddit.com/r/weedstocks/comments/gzmzzp/bruce_linton_fired_again_readies_new_global_pot/
    No doubt he knows the movers and shakers in the industry. He got the alcohol company constellation brands (Coors!) To buy up most of a weed company so maybe Diageo might be in his sights!!!

I think there were a few research groups here in Ireland already backed by Canadian companies
    greenlightmedicines .
    Sounds a bit like the dot-com bubble

Which two ETFs are they? Horizons?

Hi,

Yes, Horizons is one of them...

* Horizons Marijuana Units Class A (cad)

* Etf Managers Trust Etfmg Alternative Harvest

I haven't bet the house on them, just a small amount into each ETF and will let them sit for a few years.

If this stuff becomes the next penecilon then great, or likewise if its becomes popular in drinks, but if not, then I'm sure that people will still be smoking it to get high, so will hopefully be okay.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any thoughts on Tilray looks like some growth opportunity.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on Tilray looks like some growth opportunity.

Only reading up on them a little now, tbh.i haven't been following the industry too closely.

Here's the link to an article from The Fool, for a quick summary, although The Fool can have a funny view on stocks, so DYOR:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/02/03/could-tilray-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

This is all medium to longer term stuff, IMHO. The initial flurry of activity took place a couple of years ago, now most of the short term investors have moved on to EVs, or whatever WSB tells them to do etc. The rest of us, are sitting quietly, as we expected to do.

There's been a bit of uplift generally, from what I can see. The two ETFs that I mentioned above, have been on the up of late (and also paid small dividends, yipeee!!! ).

While I'm happy to stay in for another few years, then review, I'm not sure that I would rush into individual companies, without something significant to attract me. I rather the risk is diversified a bit, hence the ETFs.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive been in and out of Canopy over the last few years and when the share price goes up it goes up but the down size can be big. Expectations coming up to results can push the price but if expectations arent met theres a massive drop.

neris wrote: »
    Ive been in and out of Canopy over the last few years and when the share price goes up it goes up but the down size can be big. Expectations coming up to results can push the price but if expectations arent met theres a massive drop.

Ya it seems like Deja vu all over again. This time though things have slightly changed with US looking like a dead cert for legalisation. But I think It'll go state by state rather than Federal, so expect more ups and downs, once it reaches a critical mass of states then it's going to trigger a frenzy.

I wouldn't get into Canopy or Aphria right now though. I'm just going to cash out my smaller canna-bio-penny stocks and watch them plummet when people realise there's no miracle 'wonder drug' coming through.

Medipharm and Organigram interest me in terms of where they've been in the past. I need to start pumping over on r/weedstocks

TILARY is making inroads to Europe, now deals done with Portugal, Spain and France. It's also got 20% of the Canadian market.
    Just looking at a few there they seem to behaving very similar, good for day trading with those swings if you get the timing right.

TILARY is making inroads to Europe, now deals done with Portugal, Spain and France. It's also got 20% of the Canadian market.
    Just looking at a few there they seem to behaving very similar, good for day trading with those swings if you get the timing right.

Tilray and Aphria are going to merge.
    So buying shares in either is one in the same, yes?no?

Edit: Think I'll start a new thread as this one is old (but still nostalgic)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116167536#post116167536

What was the point in starting a new thread, unless you want it exclusively for discussion on the Tilray merger, and future of that combined company?

If you do just want to discuss that company, can I suggest that you change the title to your new thread, to clarify ?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I bought afew Grow Generation shares last week during the GME market pullback, and they have shot up 28% since, I don't know much about them at all, other than I wanted some cannabis stock in my portfolio. Hard to know should I take my quick gains now or hold onto them for longer, anyone know if any possible catalyst coming up for them soon?

Timmaay wrote: »
    I bought afew Grow Generation shares last week during the GME market pullback, and they have shot up 28% since, I don't know much about them at all, other than I wanted some cannabis stock in my portfolio. Hard to know should I take my quick gains now or hold onto them for longer, anyone know if any possible catalyst coming up for them soon?

Basically everything has shot up. It's just hard to know.

What was the point in starting a new thread, unless you want it exclusively for discussion on the Tilray merger, and future of that combined company?

If you do just want to discuss that company, can I suggest that you change the title to your new thread, to clarify ?

Naa it was just to continue on this thread and start again but without the "legalities" question in the title. But ya I suppose shur we'll stay goin with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Naa it was just to continue on this thread and start again but without the "legalities" question in the title. But ya I suppose shur we'll stay goin with this one.

The first question of this thread is funny..

On weed stocks. I am starting to come back around to them I got burnt to **** on Aurora about 2/3 years ago I was in before the 12:1 R:S the company seems to be doomed. Possibility to make profit in the short medium.

Aphira seem to be the best of the lot.

Sundial is another I threw some coin at but haven't looked into it too much!

• Advertisement

I'm not intending to hold any long just play the swings daily. I'm expecting a gap up at opening with Tilary today but I'll be taking profit if it's there.

Probably take a position in Aurora if it comes back a bit closer to range.

I'm not intending to hold any long just play the swings daily. I'm expecting a gap up at opening with Tilary today but I'll be taking profit if it's there.

Probably take a position in Aurora if it comes back a bit closer to range.

All my % changes are red now so looks like it's a cooling off time!.. or a shakedown :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I'm in it with a very small amount since .60c and kinda just throwing spare money at it but sndl has a nice short %.

EtdtSwLWgAMoCNy?format=jpg&name=large

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I'm in it with a very small amount since .60c and kinda just throwing spare money at it but sndl has a nice short %.

EtdtSwLWgAMoCNy?format=jpg&name=large

I've never bothered with shorting so have zero knowledge, what info are you getting from that data?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got out of Canopy over the last 2 days was touching a high and then down to much for comfort

There's a lot of small stocks in the industry, very difficult to know which ones are the better bets, so I'll just stick with my ETFs for this sector - Hedge my bets, while others do the research.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I’m 68% up on Akerna. I did mention it on one of the threads; hopefully a few people have it in their portfolio!

I’m 68% up on Akerna. I did mention it on one of the threads; hopefully a few people have it in their portfolio!

Cheers, up 20% since $7.10

Everything green is in the green and getting greener. Even Organigram is making a comeback!

ACB can go ******* my *********

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Cheers, up 20% since $7.10

Everything green is in the green and getting greener. Even Organigram is making a comeback!

ACB can go ******* my *********

Good stuff 👍👍 A crazy day in the markets! I was in green on basically everything. I was up 9.40% for the day. If I do half as well tomorrow I’ll be delighted. Happy days!!

• Advertisement

Good stuff ���� A crazy day in the markets! I was in green on basically everything. I was up 9.40% for the day. If I do half as well tomorrow I’ll be delighted. Happy days!!

That's the easy part.... no comes the part where I usually mess up...

Sell or Hold?
    (I don't really have enough to do a bit of both)

Advertisement