Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

There seems to be a serious variation in calf prices. Tbh I'm just glad to be rid. I don't need the extra work. Talking to a fella that goes to the mart alot, he reckons good fr calves can be got for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All that is happening is a price correction. There are over 200K more calves than 3-5 years ago. Dairy farmers that had beef units cesased or reduced the size of these units so this means maybe 400K+ calves extra hitting the market. The price correction has not yet reached the farm yard sales but this will correct in time as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Sold 16 fr bull calves, 3 to 4 weeks, in Fermoy yesterday. Average €145 before expenses. From €85 to €195.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have often seen calf prices to drop with bad weather and glut on market .When the weather clears calf prices could bounce up again with smaller numbers on the market but more realistic prices

It all depend on which side of ring you are at as to a realistic price. At the moment from my view thwy are still a bit high

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It all depend on which side of ring you are at as to a realistic price. At the moment from my view thwy are still a bit high

What cost to get a decent friesian bull to a year old If he was bought for €100? You are usually fairly sharp on these matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭einn32

Circa 2 week old AA heifers 160e and AA bulls 180e same age. Sold out of the yard.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What cost to get a decent friesian bull to a year old If he was bought for €100? You are usually fairly sharp on these matters!

It would not matter if he was decent or not the cost is virtually the same.
    Milk Powder 40
    straw 20
    Vet 15
    Calf ration 40
    Ration For Summer/autumn 44
    Grass 36
    Winter Feeding120 days @ 75c/day 80
    Mortality 10
    Misc 20

Say 300ish euro you might be able to squeeze the summer ration back a bit I have allowed 1kg/day from start of June to end of November. If you were doing calf to store selling in Autumn you would be reducing your average winter back 10-15 days. so another 1-2 euro there. I have allowed for mortality at 10 euro and vet (vet and medicine) at 15 and there may be 5-10 euro there or they may not be.

However You would have a calves that went to grass as a yearling at 330-380kgs not the 250kg calves some lads sell. Yes you might have a runt that got badly sick and survived but you would have right good calves averageing above 350kgs IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Cavanjack wrote: »

It would not matter if he was decent or not the cost is virtually the same.
    Milk Powder 40
    straw 20
    Vet 15
    Calf ration 40
    Ration For Summer/autumn 44
    Grass 36
    Winter Feeding120 days @ 75c/day 80
    Mortality 10
    Misc 20

Say 300ish euro you might be able to squeeze the summer ration back a bit I have allowed 1kg/day from start of June to end of November. If you were doing calf to store selling in Autumn you would be reducing your average winter back 10-15 days. so another 1-2 euro there. I have allowed for mortality at 10 euro and vet (vet and medicine) at 15 and there may be 5-10 euro there or they may not be.

However You would have a calves that went to grass as a yearling at 330-380kgs not the 250kg calves some lads sell. Yes you might have a runt that got badly sick and survived but you would have right good calves averageing above 350kgs IMO
    Great info as always, but what quantity are your figures based on, would it be much more for smaller quantities (5-10)

Great info as always, but what quantity are your figures based on, would it be much more for smaller quantities (5-10)

TBH I have not done calves in years as it si not really an option with work. Having said that I was at a discussion group meeting a few weeks ago and calf rearing was discussed. My prices are from the general discussion and from when I did calves about 10 years ago. One lad claimed milk powder was 43 euro but another lad said you can get good quality powder for 38 euro. The lad that paid 43 for it later when askled what he paid for calf ration( he bought a pallet of it) said he had not asked the price just ordered it from the merchant.

He obiviously was not pricing around. This is a big issue with some lads they just walk into the local co-op or merchant and pay up. They never price around. There are some criminal prices I have heard paid for stuff. Lad paid nearly 600 euro for 1.5 tons of urea last week end collected (400/ton) off the same places I bought it for 350ish/ton in mid Feb delivered as part of my total fertlizer purchase.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

highspeed wrote: »
    Bought 12 4 to 6 week old AA heifers for €225 each
    14 HR for &170 each - mixture of male/female all 4 to 5 weeks
    All bought directly from yard

Also rang a neighbour who had HR heifer calves for sale - asked if he was selling - he said he did not sell from the yard and only sold through the mart
    Selling from yard is a bit of a pain in the ass.because we are so far south unless we have a bunch fellas wont travel and those that do most want them for nothing and only want to take the best.so f##k that ive a fella that takes to the mart from me and can sell them as i want to too,no paper or worrying about ckecks bouncing.i see prices qouted here for calves and they would be a lot less in west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

K.G. wrote: »
    Selling from yard is a bit of a pain in the ass.because we are so far south unless we have a bunch fellas wont travel and those that do most want them for nothing and only want to take the best.so f##k that ive a fella that takes to the mart from me and can sell them as i want to too,no paper or worrying about ckecks bouncing.i see prices qouted here for calves and they would be a lot less in west cork

I read this thread sometimes and think I am farming in a different country.
    Neighbour brought 3 week old fr bull calves to the mart last week, well done €70 average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sent a share of calves off to mart. A simental x included. Big calf but the the fecker will have to make 1500 euro to cover his costs as the mother is fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

What bull is the Sim calf off?

tanko wrote: »

S3011. Technically a fleckvieh. Have 3 heifers and that bull and they all carried 1 week minimum. One of the heifers came backwards and I had to jack her, head was still in the cow when I got to the end of the jack. Long legs on the feckers but the bodies fill out to match. Last time using him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mooooo wrote: »

S3011. Technically a fleckvieh. Have 3 heifers and that bull and they all carried 1 week minimum. One of the heifers came backwards and I had to jack her, head was still in the cow when I got to the end of the jack. Long legs on the feckers but the bodies fill out to match. Last time using him anyway

Have a easy calving fleck bull here and delighted with him, have 25 calves from heifers and only jacked two, destroyed heifers the previous 2 years with "easy calving" Freisian bulls, its gas the genomic figures for the imported fleck where spot on re calving ease and the Irish ones were completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Have a easy calving fleck bull here and delighted with him, have 25 calves from heifers and only jacked two, destroyed heifers the previous 2 years with "easy calving" Freisian bulls, its gas the genomic figures for the imported fleck where spot on re calving ease and the Irish ones were completely wrong

You forgot the ebi is ****e bit there jay

mahoney_j wrote: »

You forgot the ebi is ****e bit there jay

Simple observation is all both fr bulls where less then 2% cd, jacked 17 out of 19 heifers with last years lad and was 14 out of 17 the year before, on cows it was nearly 50% that needed assistance, 65 kilo plus monsters of bull calves was a absolute nightmare....
    Lost 3 of last years first calvers down to it due to damage at calving along with a very poor conception rate to first serve on the remainder of heifers

Used a different one last year no problem bar the calves came black and white. Haved served all heifers here to genomic hol/ fr here with a number of years haven't jacked one. Jack has been only used on the fleckvieh this year, a dead fr last year and few Hereford in previous years. I find the short gestation of Irish bulls has them rel safe. Of course a few can go the other way but mammy has an influence too

Simple observation is all both fr bulls where less then 2% cd, jacked 17 out of 19 heifers with last years lad and was 14 out of 17 the year before, on cows it was nearly 50% that needed assistance, 65 kilo plus monsters of bull calves was a absolute nightmare....
    Lost 3 of last years first calvers down to it due to damage at calving along with a very poor conception rate to first serve on the remainder of heifers

Did you use just one bull each year on the heifers? Better using a few to spread the risk

• Advertisement

Did you use just one bull each year on the heifers? Better using a few to spread the risk

Clean-up stock bull,do one round of sexed ai on heifers and bull cleans up, usually get 55% holding to sexed so the rest are caught by the stock bull, zero-issues calving ai bulls

Clean-up stock bull,do one round of sexed ai on heifers and bull cleans up, usually get 55% holding to sexed so the rest are caught by the stock bull, zero-issues calving ai bulls

Ah fair enough, were they genomic tested or parent average? Calves landing from.cows from a homegrown stock bull I had last year and are bigger as well but longer dry period prob has an effect as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Sounds awful wouldn't wish it on worst enemy.

Poor calf trade today in bandon. Only things that held it own was the fr bull. He heifers the worst. Smashers but young sold for €60. Mainly 130 ish do.

My man didnt have his book to hand when I rang him but he thinks my 5 fr bulls made 100, 4 weeks old and the sim something over 200 same age. Bandon as well

My man didnt have his book to hand when I rang him but he thinks my 5 fr bulls made 100, 4 weeks old and the sim something over 200 same age. Bandon as well

One lad bought 5 beautiful her heifers for €50 at the end of the sale.

50 for Hereford, never heard of them that low before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

50 for Hereford, never heard of them that low before

I'll definitely be hanging onto rest of mine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Pidae.m wrote: »
    One lad bought 5 beautiful her heifers for €50 at the end of the sale.

What were they making earlier in the sale?

• Advertisement

What were they making earlier in the sale?

130 was the go mainly. €200 for nearly reared ones but they were scarce.

Advertisement