Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw calves selling in Ennis mart yesterday. Goodish HE x FR bull calves making circa €350. I kid you not. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Saw calves selling in Ennis mart yesterday. Goodish HE x FR bull calves making circa €350. I kid you not. :D

Was there myself, never saw so many calves in ennis, did you see that black lim bull calf sell, he was making 550 when I had to walk out

jfh wrote: »
    Was there myself, never saw so many calves in ennis, did you see that black lim bull calf sell, he was making 550 when I had to walk out
    Only popped in for a look. Didnt see that one selling.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Getting bout 120 for good 3week old Friesian bull calves, happy with that, not not happy with the jersey cross bull price , anything from 3 to 20 euro, and they r 4 weeks old, don't know what to do with them-
    Give them away for free at a week old,
    Sell them for 10-20 euro at a month old
    Or rear them for 8/9 months and then sell them then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Henwin wrote: »
    Getting bout 120 for good 3week old Friesian bull calves, happy with that, not not happy with the jersey cross bull price , anything from 3 to 20 euro, and they r 4 weeks old, don't know what to do with them-
    I know a lad that keeps 2 every year to use as teasers. He sold a few more last spring for decent money in the yard as teasers too after vasectomising them and keeping the best for himself.

He reckons they come into good money at 18 months as well.

Might be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

3 smashing black lm heifers yesterday in Gortatlea sold for €250. They were the gear, thought they were good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Fr bull calves, 10 to 20 days old making €50 to €75 in skibb mart today, i was told. The place was overflowing with calves as there was no mart last week due to the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You should know the answer yourself. Either sell as early as possible or give to the slaughter crowd as early as possible. Finishing as bulls at sub 16 months they make about 900-950 euro. No margin for anybody. If you want to carry them to 8/9 months get them to 220-250 kgs I give 150-180 euro for them at that stage.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

They are costing about €10/€12 a week to keep. Plus time and valuable space in calf sheds. You don't need the risk of viral infections or scours to your more valuable heifer calves. Your in the milk game not the calf game. The few euro you get could be eaten away very quick with a vet bill or two. They are loosing money anyway.

By getting rid early you have more time to spend on your important heifer calves. IMO any lad under pressure this time of year with cows would be mad to be wasting their time trying to put value on this type of stock. IMO give away asap and thank whoever takes them. Even better if they left the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Fr bull calves, 10 to 20 days old making €50 to €75 in skibb mart today, i was told. The place was overflowing with calves as there was no mart last week due to the snow.

Heard good value there but very young yard of calves. Anything with age was dear. Hex bull €385!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Sent 14 friesian bull calves 4 weeks old to Fermoy Tuesday. Average €160. From €145 to €185.

They are costing about €10/€12 a week to keep. Plus time and valuable space in calf sheds. You don't need the risk of viral infections or scours to your more valuable heifer calves. Your in the milk game not the calf game. The few euro you get could be eaten away very quick with a vet bill or two. They are loosing money anyway.

By getting rid early you have more time to spend on your important heifer calves. IMO any lad under pressure this time of year with cows would be mad to be wasting their time trying to put value on this type of stock. IMO give away asap and thank whoever takes them. Even better if they left the country.

IMO in 2-3 years dairy farmers will either have to get these calves slaughtered at birth as a few abbatoir are doing now or will have to pay farmers to take them. As bullocks they will kill sub 300kgs at 26-28 months. As bulls they will kill 250 at sub 16 months and 300kgs is max if carried further.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

IMO in 2-3 years dairy farmers will either have to get these calves slaughtered at birth as a few abbatoir are doing now or will have to pay farmers to take them. As bullocks they will kill sub 300kgs at 26-28 months. As bulls they will kill 250 at sub 16 months and 300kgs is max if carried further.

funny cause was called by the lad who bought my bullocks on 1st of april last year at 380kgs he killed them this week ,have i more of the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

leg wax wrote: »
    funny cause was called by the lad who bought my bullocks on 1st of april last year at 380kgs he killed them this week ,have i more of the same this year.

Jersey? What did u sell them for? Is he buying them as calves this year?

What age were they 2 year old some lads buy them as they are small money. Heaviest I saw JEx 950% JE 50% Fr) at 12-15 months was 330kgs but he was a very well done bull. As bullocks well very done lads would be 300kgs. What did you get for them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Number of Jersey straws used is still low, also extreme hol lads be on about. Biggest cows here are 100% hol. An they are big in every way not just tall

Mooooo wrote: »
    Number of Jersey straws used is still low, also extreme hol lads be on about. Biggest cows here are 100% hol. An they are big in every way not just tall

Even though No of straws are low as a percentage of total cows you have to remember that there are over 1.7 million dairy cows calving down I think. No JE cross calves are exported so all remain in Ireland and are in the system except those slaughtered as calves. Most are traded farm to farm nowadays as margins are so low in them and low demand.

I have had some great quality Ho bullocks over the years. Some are great to put on weight even if they will grade P+/O-. But while you have some P grade bullocks you will get some that will grade O= and weight verty well.

If lads had access to ICBF and look at the breeding virtually all FR are HO in Ireland at present but there is a huge variation in type from extreme animals grading P= to some taht grade O+ as bullocks and grade R as bulls

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Are they not out of bf cows though? Any 3/4 je is just costing to much to rare. Alright if you pick them up as runners for small money but raring them is %100 loss making.

I don't think there is anything as British Friesan anymore. I was looking at the Dairy catalogue in Munster AI a while back. No 100% BF anymore. 50% BF the most I could see.
    Someday, mayby someday the two industries, Dairy and Beef will work together. It would be a far better investment that the current Genomics scheme. Too many beef bulls on dairy herds picked solely for easy calving and gestation. Damn the beef attributes like confromation and growth.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is anything as British Friesan anymore. I was looking at the Dairy catalogue in Munster AI a while back. No 100% BF anymore. 50% BF the most I could see.
    Someday, mayby someday the two industries, Dairy and Beef will work together. It would be a far better investment that the current Genomics scheme. Too many beef bulls on dairy herds picked solely for easy calving and gestation. Damn the beef attributes like confromation and growth.

What difference does it make? Thereare good calves making 300 plus and bad ones making less than 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Have a bunch of nice strong Saler calves (4 weeks) out of mainly friesian cows, but have no idea on values.

Could anyone give a figure, and should we fare out ok by going to the mart with them...

Can get them taken to Kilmallock, Kanturk or Fermoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

alps wrote: »
    Have a bunch of nice strong Saler calves (4 weeks) out of mainly friesian cows, but have no idea on values.

Could anyone give a figure, and should we fare out ok by going to the mart with them...

Are they bulls or heifers?
    Any saler bullocks i sold as stores made the same as lims.
    Saler heifers make good sucklers and any ive seen sold as bulling heifers make great money.
    What bull are they off?

alps wrote: »

In between what the equivalent limousin and angus calf makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Even though No of straws are low as a percentage of total cows you have to remember that there are over 1.7 million dairy cows calving down I think. No JE cross calves are exported so all remain in Ireland and are in the system except those slaughtered as calves. Most are traded farm to farm nowadays as margins are so low in them and low demand.

I have had some great quality Ho bullocks over the years. Some are great to put on weight even if they will grade P+/O-. But while you have some P grade bullocks you will get some that will grade O= and weight verty well.

If lads had access to ICBF and look at the breeding virtually all FR are HO in Ireland at present but there is a huge variation in type from extreme animals grading P= to some taht grade O+ as bullocks and grade R as bulls

Agree a hol will have weight and a jersey has nothing to offer and has to fed as much as a fr. The other thing with the jersey is they are the nasty bulls to handle on farm and not good for the health and lads will convince themselves they are making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

tanko wrote: »
    Are they bulls or heifers?
    Any saler bullocks i sold as stores made the same as lims.
    Saler heifers make good sucklers and any ive seen sold as bulling heifers make great money.
    What bull are they off?

Bulls and heifers..off of PZB Bonaparte...

Was thinking of reading the heifers with our own replacement dairy heifers, and sell in calf, but a friend of mine who did so for a few years says they suck everything going and you'll have damaged tests on the dairy heifers..

Might try the heifers on DD, and put the lads in the mart..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Kiwi bulls 30 euro Hereford bulls and heifers 180 angus bulls and heifers 150 all over 10 days ex yard.
    Heard the mart trade has died with the glut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Are calves cheaper this year than they were last year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tomjim wrote: »
    Are calves cheaper this year than they were last year

Hopefully :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any recent prices?

Advertisement