Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory flu vaccination for old folk.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I'm immunocompromised and actively chose not to get vaccinated. I'm aware I could get acutely ill, but vaccines don't agree with me either. I got violently ill after the last flu vaccine.

Honestly I hate this whole "compulsory vaccination" ****e. Nobody knows the reasons people choose not to get vaccinated. Also it's a decision not to contribute to herd immunity, and it should be kept that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Forced vaccinations is very unethical. A large number of people are against vaccinations and however misguided their opinions might it is still very unethical to force somebody to take medication they don't want to.

I think its crazy to not take vaccines ,personally. but I know a woman personally who completely believes vaccine caused her childs autism. if she or her child were to be strapped down and force vaccinated I think it would cause them more sickness in the form of anxiety and fear than any flu !

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I always laugh at people that say they won't get a vaccination because they "got sick" after it. It's such a bonkers way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Everyone should be vaccinated. Antisocial not to, since you might infect vulnerable people, like babies.

I'm all for vaccination that's effective, eg for polio and the like.

But the flu the vaccine clearly isn't working too well if your wife got a 2nd dose - that means she's picked up two different strains, neither of which were in the vaccine.

And not everyone regularly comes into contact with vulnerable people. It's all about risk.

Also some others asked about tamiflu, and why not everyone gets it: Reasons include that it's only effective if given within a certain time of symptoms starting, cost, side effects, and quite possibly limited supply - they need to use it for the people who will be most affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I always laugh at people that say they won't get a vaccination because they "got sick" after it. It's such a bonkers way of thinking.

There are rare cases where people have reacted badly to the ingredients of the vaccine.However, the ones I always find amusing are the people that claim the 'flu vaccine "gave them the 'flu":D

Truth is,the vaccine take two weeks to become effective so they probably contracted the 'flu virus before the vaccine took effect or,more likely, they had a strain of 'flu that wasn't contained in the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm immunocompromised and actively chose not to get vaccinated. I'm aware I could get acutely ill, but vaccines don't agree with me either. I got violently ill after the last flu vaccine.

Honestly I hate this whole "compulsory vaccination" ****e. Nobody knows the reasons people choose not to get vaccinated. Also it's a decision not to contribute to herd immunity, and it should be kept that way.

Herd immunity is to benefit people like yourself who cannot get immunised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm all for vaccination that's effective, eg for polio and the like.

But the flu the vaccine clearly isn't working too well if your wife got a 2nd dose - that means she's picked up two different strains, neither of which were in the vaccine.

And not everyone regularly comes into contact with vulnerable people. It's all about risk.

It was working, because I didn't get it, despite continuous exposure.

Pregnancy dampens your immune system, so your immune system doesn't attack the baby. So it didn't work for my wife... Though I understand it might have been more severe without it.

Instead she had to rely on herd immunity. This failed as at some point she came into contact with an infected person. Maybe in the cinema. Maybe in a hotel. Maybe the supermarket...

Maybe a sick person in the supermarket didn't realise they were exposing a vulnerable person to risk by not getting the vaccine.

Everybody comes into contact with vulnerable people at times. So everybody shares responsibility for how they affect them.

It is a big deal. She was in isolation in the hospital because of the danger posed to others. I was allowed stay with her. Our baby's heart rate kept dropping. At 4am the first night she was rushed to a delivery room when the nurse couldnt find his heartbeat at all.

He was fine; everything looked okay when they checked him again in the delivery room. But the nurses in the ward that night - all midwives - clearly feared the worst. Flu is a real danger for pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Much of the time having a compromised immune system will be advised not to get vaccines(might just be for live vaccines) but you will benefit from having numerous who are vaccinated. Every high risk category should get the vaccine if they are able. I would fall under the category, I can unpredictably end up in a hospital bed and having the flu on top of that would be risking my long term health.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

kneemos wrote: »
    Compulsory flu vaccination for old folk.
    Not have them clogging up the hospitals and dieing and ****.
    If you or anyone else approaches me with their rat poison (any strain of it) they can expect to feel the full force of my zimmer-frame where it hurts most :).

If you want to empty out the hospital beds and A&E I'd suggest you start with the drunkards whose injuries or sickness has been directly caused by the addiction to drink that exists among 90% of the population. When they're all gone then you can start on the drug takers/addicts - those who by their addictions also fund the Mobs and the violence that attaches to it filling up even more hospital beds.

Get rid of all that lot and we'll have no shortage of beds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Flu vaccine isn't a live one. I'm immuno-compromised too and even a cold knocks me for six,so I choose to pay for my vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Much of the time having a compromised immune system will be advised not to get vaccines(might just be for live vaccines) but you will benefit from having numerous who are vaccinated. Every high risk category should get the vaccine if they are able. I would fall under the category, I can unpredictably end up in a hospital bed and having the flu on top of that would be risking my long term health.
    Err, no, you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Err, no, you won't.

My mistake, just if severely immuno compromised for specific live vaccines. I did clarify I wasn't a 100%. Should of course follow your doctor's guidelines. :)
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00023141.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

pitifulgod wrote: »

I was advised to get it, but chose not to. Ultimately I know my body best and I know I'll be miserable for a week after it.
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    Herd immunity is to benefit people like yourself who cannot get immunised.

I know, and I don't think anyone should be forced to help the likes of me.

Advertisement