Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory flu vaccination for old folk.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

sullivlo wrote: »
    Lol. With that, I am out.

I did provide an actual example (GSK) but put the blinkers on if you prefer. My previous post makes it quite clear, the perils of compulsory vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I did provide an actual example (GSK) but put the blinkers on if you prefer. My previous post makes it quite clear, the perils of compulsory vaccines.

Big pharma, dude. And the Stonecutters. I totally take you seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I don't get it. Why is the chap dismissed because he said 'big pharma'?

corny wrote: »

I don't get it either. Big Pharma stands for Big Pharmaceutical Companies right? I am going to presume they want to be ostriches.
    I did explain how GSK rushed out a swine flu vaccine that was untested and then got indemnity from the government to any side effects i.e. narcolepsy.
    There were no responses to that :confused:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/state-fights-claims-by-children-with-narcolepsy-after-swine-flu-jab-34769146.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

cruizer101 wrote: »
    This is another thing there is a lot of misunderstanding about, a lot of people equate a bit of a cold with a flu.
    A proper flu will leave you feeling **** for days it not just a bit coughy and sniffly

You'll be in bed with stiff joints barely able to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I don't get it either. Big Pharma stands for Big Pharmaceutical Companies right? I am going to presume they want to be ostriches.
    I did explain how GSK rushed out a swine flu vaccine that was untested and then got indemnity from the government to any side effects i.e. narcolepsy.
    There were no responses to that :confused:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/state-fights-claims-by-children-with-narcolepsy-after-swine-flu-jab-34769146.html

According to google about 1 in 20,000 who were vaccinated with that specific vaccine developed narcolepsy. These people , based on current research, had a genetic predisposition to narcolepsy.

The numbers are tiny too I doubt this would of been caught in any pre approval studies anyways . Post approval studies are there for this very reason.

jh79 wrote: »
    According to google about 1 in 20,000 who were vaccinated with that specific vaccine developed narcolepsy. These people , based on current research, had a genetic predisposition to narcolepsy.

The numbers are tiny too I doubt this would of been caught in any pre approval studies anyways . Post approval studies are there for this very reason.

Are you talking about Pandemrix?
    Ms O'Connor said that the discovery process had revealed that the authority had data concerning the safety records of Pandemrix which is made in Dresden, Germany and a very similar vaccine also used to treat swine flu is made in Quebec, Canada called Arepanrix.

There are some differences in the manufacturing processes between Quebec and Dresden, Ms O'Connor said.

The safety records shows that the level of adverse effects in those administered Pandemrix ranged between 10 and 7 times higher than the Canadian made product.

One report from late 2009 states that of the tens of millions of vaccines administered there was a serious adverse effect rate of 75.9 per million for Pandemrix compared to 7.9 per million for Arepanrix.
    Pandemrix was licensed by the Irish Medicines Board (now known as the Health Products Regulatory Authority) for distribution and administration in the Republic of Ireland. As part of its licensing obligation, and as Pandemrix was largely an untested adjuvanted product (made in Dresden), GSK was obliged to deliver details of all Adverse Events and Serious Adverse Events regarding its product Pandemrix, but also that of its sister vaccine Arepanrix, (manufactured in Quebec) and also its non-adjuvanted vaccine sold only to the U.S (the FDA refused to purchase any adjuvanted vaccine).

We now know that in compliance with its obligations, GSK began disclosing data to the HSE from the very beginning of the vaccination program as early as October 2009. By December 2009, GSK had delivered in-depth safety data concerning Serious Adverse Events arising from the Pandemrix vaccine (with multiples of Serious Adverse Events in contrast to its sister vaccine Arepanrix and its non-adjuvanted vaccine). Serious Adverse Events included convulsions, demylination (stripping of neurologic brain and spinal cord nerve covering), guillian-barre syndrome and spontaneous abortions.

Despite receiving data of these Serious Adverse Events, the HSE continued its vaccination of the healthy population. At no stage was the vaccination programme reviewed, adjusted or modified by the HSE or the Irish Medicines Board (in contrast to their UK counterparts).

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-suing-state-after-claims-she-got-narcolepsy-from-swine-flu-vaccine-36201319.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The point i'm making is that the numbers are too small to be caught in the pre approval studies. We are aware of this adverse effect becuase of the larger size of the post approval studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The flu vaccine is safer than two condoms and a rubber doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

People on the dole get free vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Grayson wrote: »
    We were offered it free in work. I took it but about half the office didn't. I can't believe there are people who'd turn down a free flu vaccination. It's no guarantee but if it lessens the chances and it's free, the take it.

I used to work in a place like that, and thought the same way for years.

Then I noticed that on average I was sicker with cough and colds in the years when I took it.

I totally understand that the vaccine doesn't cause people to get the flu or other diseases, and that there's no medically-accepted (ie non-conspiracy theory) reason why I got sicker when I'd had it. And that the virus mutates so that it cannot protect against all the versions that are circulating. And I totally support it for life-changing diseases that can realistically be wiped out with vaccination eg polio etc. But I still don't take the flu vaccine any more.

I take it again if I was working in a place where I was front-line to the public, or maybe if I had risk factors which would make getting it worse (not just oldness).

But in the absence of that, I make a choice not to take it each year. And I think old people should be able to make the same choice.

People on the dole get free vaccines.

They don't. Maybe people with medical cards do. But just the dole doesn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Last September I asked my GP for flu vaccine and he refused me. Said it was for over 65's.

2forjoy wrote: »
    Last September I asked my GP for flu vaccine and he refused me. Said it was for over 65's.

He probably didn't have enough in stock for anyone other than the most at risk at that point. A few weeks later and you'd have been okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My pregnant wife was hospitalised last week with her second dose of flu. She was vaccinated, but it's not perfect as people have mentioned.

Prescribed tamiflu, which is an antiviral that inhibits the virus growth. Secret medicine apparently that you only hear about when someone is actually at risk.

Everyone should be vaccinated. Antisocial not to, since you might infect vulnerable people, like babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My pregnant wife was hospitalised last week with her second dose of flu. She was vaccinated, but it's not perfect as people have mentioned.

Prescribed tamiflu, which is an antiviral that inhibits the virus growth. Secret medicine apparently that you only hear about when someone is actually at risk.

Everyone should be vaccinated. Antisocial not to, since you might infect vulnerable people, like babies.

what is so secret about tamiflu??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mc Cabes pharmacy are giving the vaccine now for €10 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

corny wrote: »
    It's a term which was predominately used in CT circles and people have been conditioned to respond in incredulity at anything that is not mainstream and CT related.

what is so secret about tamiflu??

Because you're told there's nothing a doctor can do for flu, just stay home and drink fluids yadda yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Because you're told there's nothing a doctor can do for flu, just stay home and drink fluids yadda yadda yadda.

told by who exactly? perhaps you should seek medical advice from actual medical professionals. and for the most part that is the best advice and probably what a doctor will tell you. tamiflu doesnt reduce the symptoms of flu. and by flu i mean real flu not just cold. all it can do is reduce the period you are affected by it and, even then, it is only by a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mc Cabes pharmacy are giving the vaccine now for €10 .

I know of Pharmacies that are giving it free :)

• Advertisement

told by who exactly? perhaps you should seek medical advice from actual medical professionals. and for the most part that is the best advice and probably what a doctor will tell you. tamiflu doesnt reduce the symptoms of flu. and by flu i mean real flu not just cold. all it can do is reduce the period you are affected by it and, even then, it is only by a day or so.

It was a humorous remark. You didn't pick up on that.

Steve F wrote: »
    I know of Pharmacies that are giving it free :)

Yes , for medical card holders ?

Yes , for medical card holders ?

No...just ordinary poor folk like me :)

No...just ordinary poor folk like me :)

Thats a good service . The cheapest I found is Mc Cabes for €10 . Boots are charging €30 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How about compulsory having to have an ailment that requires a doctor instead of running to the doctor with every sniffle and fart?

Thats a good service . The cheapest I found is Mc Cabes for €10 . Boots are charging €30 !

Is Co Louth handy for you?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How about compulsory having to have an ailment that requires a doctor instead of running to the doctor with every sniffle and fart?

LOL So agree with this :D

Is Co Louth handy for you?

Fraid not ! But got it in Mc Cabes Dundrum for €10 so not too bad /.

Fraid not ! But got it in Mc Cabes Dundrum for €10 so not too bad /.

Agree. A tenner is well spent if it gives you a fighting chance of not getting the dreaded lurgy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Yep, a day or so less with the flue symptoms with many cases having the added side effects of increased nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and nosebleeds.

I'll stick to going to bed for a couple of days with a kettle and bottle of Paddy (with lots of lemon and honey).

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement