Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory flu vaccination for old folk.

Options
  • 02-01-2018 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

Not have them clogging up the hospitals and dieing and ****.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Wow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Compulsory vaccination for all, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CIA nanobiotic tracking chip and a free US of A flag for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

sullivlo wrote: »

Definitely agree, should be mandatory for access to public education, healthcare etc. With only medically based exceptions allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My granny developed autism after getting the flu vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Know 2 older people got the jabs in last 2 weeks. Both are dying of the flu at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Know 2 older people got the jabs in last 2 weeks. Both are dying of the flu at the moment

Literally or figuratively dying and the actual flu or just a cold (which isn't the flu).

EDIT also appears to take about 2 weeks for the immune system to start creating the required antibodies and it only protects against certain strains. It's not a guaranteed immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Literally or figuratively dying and the actual flu or just a cold (which isn't the flu).

EDIT also appears to take about 2 weeks for the immune system to start creating the required antibodies and it only protects against certain strains. It's not a guaranteed immunity.

Each year the flu jab is a cocktail of vaccinations against the strains they think will occur that winter.

We were offered it free in work. I took it but about half the office didn't. I can't believe there are people who'd turn down a free flu vaccination. It's no guarantee but if it lessens the chances and it's free, the take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a fine for not wearing a seat belt,refusing a flu jab is effectively the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Proof that fundamentally good ideas can sometimes originate from the most imbecilic of sources.

That said, I thought I heard on the radio (through a half sleep fog) that there's two strains around this winter with only one that the vaccine is effective against. Did I hear that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kneemos wrote: »
    There's a fine for not wearing a seat belt,refusing a flu jab is effectively the same thing.

I had a long reply prepared for this but I'll abbreviate it..... Hogwash!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's a huge amount of people who think the vaccination gives people the flu. The HSE need to do some work to educate people. The nature of the flu and it's changing strains means we'll probably never have a perfect vaccine for it but people seem to think if it's not like the polio vaccine with eradication then it's dangerous. Being protected against 50-70%ish of the strains is better than 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Grayson wrote: »
    Each year the flu jab is a cocktail of vaccinations against the strains they think will occur that winter.

We were offered it free in work. I took it but about half the office didn't. I can't believe there are people who'd turn down a free flu vaccination. It's no guarantee but if it lessens the chances and it's free, the take it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/641162/Influenza_vaccine_effectiveness_in_primary_care_1617_final.pdf

It is guessed and estimated every year, which strains will hit us. Like last year it was 40% effectiveness for all age groups, this year it is suspected even worse. Still a small jab can spare you a week of misery in bed, it also takes pressure from the hospital treating people with preventable diseases. Hello, spending a week on a trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Harika wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/641162/Influenza_vaccine_effectiveness_in_primary_care_1617_final.pdf

It is guessed and estimated every year, which strains will hit us. Like last year it was 40% effectiveness for all age groups, this year it is suspected even worse. Still a small jab can spare you a week of misery in bed, it also takes pressure from the hospital treating people with preventable diseases. Hello, spending a week on a trolley.

the HSE are claiming 60% effectiveness this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ikeano29 wrote: »

If you come into contact with the flu and it takes hold, it takes a few days for symptoms to appear. The vaccine takes up to 14 days to become fully effective, so it's entirely possible they caught it before or after the vaccine. It's also not 100% effective, so could still catch it when vaccinated. Also, none of what I've just said actually matters as it's not a live vaccine and it's impossible to catch the flu from it.
    Grayson wrote: »

"Sure why bother, the flu is only a bit of a cough, I'll be fine if I get it" as one colleague put it.

I'm a bit of a germaphobe as my daughter is in the high-risk group, pisses me off that people I am in daily close-contact with would turn down a free vaccine just because they're not bothered, not realising they're raising the risk for others.
    There's a huge amount of people who think the vaccination gives people the flu. The HSE need to do some work to educate people. The nature of the flu and it's changing strains means we'll probably never have a perfect vaccine for it but people seem to think if it's not like the polio vaccine with eradication then it's dangerous. Being protected against 50-70%ish of the strains is better than 0%.

As above, there's also a huge amount of people who have a tickle in their throat and say they've caught the flu, and therefore don't see it as any sort of threat and don't bother with the vaccine, so education on this would also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Teddy1690

Wow compulsory flu jab be taking away somes rights on there medical decision. It be like strapping you down and forcing you to take an injection of medication. Some people believe the ful jab is harmful. I get the financial benefits to our healthcare system if there was less hospitalisation due to flu but in saying that this is not the way its morally wrong and a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Danbo! wrote: »
    "Sure why bother, the flu is only a bit of a cough, I'll be fine if I get it" as one colleague put it.

This is another thing there is a lot of misunderstanding about, a lot of people equate a bit of a cold with a flu.
    A proper flu will leave you feeling **** for days it not just a bit coughy and sniffly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cruizer101 wrote: »
    This is another thing there is a lot of misunderstanding about, a lot of people equate a bit of a cold with a flu.
    A proper flu will leave you feeling **** for days it not just a bit coughy and sniffly

i had real flu about 20 years ago. A week of pain-filled delirium i do not want to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

i had real flu about 20 years ago. A week of pain-filled delirium i do not want to repeat.

25 years ago. Off work 2 weeks and felt weak and tired for 2 more. The flu is a terrible disease. Easy to see how it kills people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Teddy1690 wrote: »
    Wow compulsory flu jab be taking away somes rights on there medical decision. It be like strapping you down and forcing you to take an injection of medication. Some people believe the ful jab is harmful. I get the financial benefits to our healthcare system if there was less hospitalisation due to flu but in saying that this is not the way its morally wrong and a slippery slope.

Well some people would be wrong.

My original post was in jest. But I do believe that vaccines, when appropriate, should be mandatory (but not enforceable), as I believe that their benefits far outweigh any potential side effects (that are largely as a result of scaremongering based on a since retracted publication).

• Advertisement

I have asthma. I had the flu about 8 years ago. I couldn’t lift my head off the pillow. I crawled to the bathroom, I puked into a bowl beside my bed, I couldn’t eat, drink, anything. I was like that for about 10 days. My GP called to my house to get me some steroids to help with my breathing. I was too weak to visit the surgery.

When I hear people saying they have a flu I get very angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Teddy1690 wrote: »

Rights are not absolute and are generally limited for the greater good. Just as my right to free speech ends when I begin defaming someone, your right to refuse prophylaxis for preventable transmissable diseases should be limited if that decision can lead to the death of others

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Proof that fundamentally good ideas can sometimes originate from the most imbecilic of sources.

That said, I thought I heard on the radio (through a half sleep fog) that there's two strains around this winter with only one that the vaccine is effective against. Did I hear that wrong?

Hey.

Somebody said something I'm not sure who they mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

That would be a scary and idiotic move. Basically telling Big Pharma they don't need to test any new vaccines because the compulsory "trials" will do it for them.
    Big Pharma already rush out vaccines without enough trials and testing (e.g. Swine flu swindle) because revenue trumps safety.

Same. I had the "real flu" just once. It was absolutely awful. I thought I was going to die and I was 25.
    My GP also told me I had gotten the swine flu but I had hardly noticed. It felt no more than a cold. He said it was blown out of all proportion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When I hear people saying they have a flu I get very angry.
    My GP also told me I had gotten the swine flu but I had hardly noticed. It felt no more than a cold. He said it was blown out of all proportion.
    I came down with the swine flu and was utterly fooked for ten days. Other than a bout of flu in the id 80's that had me on deaths door, it was the worst flu I've ever suffered.

I've caught other flus that came on rapidly and went away just as rapidly, when others were felled by it. One case was a bad dose going around a few years back, when my live in girlfriend came down with it and naturally because of our closs proximity so did I. I felt dog rough, but on my feet for about three days, yet she was bedridden for a fortnight and had to get medical attention. Yes it is most certainly a far more serious illness than a head cold, but people can vary wildly around an average as far as severity of symptoms. Oddly enough my dad never caught the flu in his 80 odd years of life. Not once. Must have had a natural immunity to the strains he encountered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I came down with the swine flu and was utterly fooked for ten days. Other than a bout of flu in the id 80's that had me on deaths door, it was the worst flu I've ever suffered.

I've caught other flus that came on rapidly and went away just as rapidly, when others were felled by it. One case was a bad dose going around a few years back, when my live in girlfriend came down with it and naturally because of our closs proximity so did I. I felt dog rough, but on my feet for about three days, yet she was bedridden for a fortnight and had to get medical attention. Yes it is most certainly a far more serious illness than a head cold, but people can vary wildly around an average as far as severity of symptoms. Oddly enough my dad never caught the flu in his 80 odd years of life. Not once. Must have had a natural immunity to the strains he encountered.

Most people experienced the swine flu as a mild illness but let's not forget though that the swine flu vaccine left many Irish children with narcolepsy. It was rushed out and untested.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/state-fights-claims-by-children-with-narcolepsy-after-swine-flu-jab-34769146.html
    Mr Boylan said the Irish expert group found a 14-fold increase in the incidence of narcolepsy among children vaccinated, compared to those who did not get the jab.

The untested vaccine was rushed out during global panic over the swine flu pandemic in the winter of 2009 and 2010.

The pandemic turned out to be much milder than feared but parents were strongly urged by senior medical officers in the Department of Health and public health experts to have children, who were a risk group for the virus, vaccinated.

Parents were not made aware of the fact that it was untested, he added.

At the time the vaccine was issued, GSK got the then government to grant the drugs giant indemnity from any potential compensation claims.

Mr Boylan said: "Other countries like Switzerland, America, Poland and Australia would not give a licence to the vaccine.

GSK made their money though and cannot be sued.

Compulsory vaccines for all??? No thanks.

That would be a scary and idiotic move. Basically telling Big Pharma they don't need to test any new vaccines because the compulsory "trials" will do it for them.
    Big Pharma already rush out vaccines without enough trials and testing (e.g. Swine flu swindle) because revenue trumps safety.

Lol. With that, I am out.

• Advertisement

No, I had the vaccine and have another strain according to the swabs. It's not as bad as it could be but it's been pretty unpleasant.

Advertisement