Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Brewster wrote: »
    What are standards you refer to though?? As I say, the txts were private, and had circumstances been different they would never have come to light. They got drunk, sexual activity occurred, and they privately bragged about it. Is this what the IRFU is passing judgement on?

We can't discuss the details of the trial, so we can't answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If this thread and the supposed social media **** storm (don't have twitter or FB anymore), are anything to go by. The IRFU and Ulster rugby are in a very hard place, as this is a massively divisive issue and that impacts directly on both brands.

People can have their opinions of what went on and will view that based on their own moral outlook. One things for sure, 5 peoples lives have been fairly damaged by this incident. It's hard to see how any of them can remain in Belfast after this amount of coverage in the media. For that reason alone I don't think that the IRFU or Ulster will have final say here, I think both players will probably move abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

MJohnston wrote: »
    We can't discuss the details of the trial, so we can't answer you.

I think we are allowed to discuss issues pertaining to why or why not the IRFU should back them? I could be wrong though....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Brewster wrote: »
    I think we are allowed to discuss issues pertaining to why or why not the IRFU should back them? I could be wrong though....

Can't do that without discussing details of the trial, plainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think we've almost tired ourselves out in one day, I feel like this will be forgotten by next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

stl.ire wrote: »
    Both are out of contract at the end of the season right?
    Can see them being kept out for fitness or something until their contracts are up and then let leave.
    Big headache if the play or sign a new deal.

Pretty sure Jackson signed a 2 year contract about this time last year.

Maybe Ulster will test the waters in the last game or two of the season and pick them. That gives them room to manoeuvre based on the reaction. If it is really bad then they have the summer to work out how to release them and let them move on. If it goes ok then the worst of it may be over and by next season people will have moved on.

Ireland is different. I detect (on social media only) a lot more hostility to them from some down south. I'm not sure I can see them playing for Ireland again anytime soon. That may impact on whether Ulster keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

bilston wrote: »
    stl.ire wrote: »
    Both are out of contract at the end of the season right?
    Can see them being kept out for fitness or something until their contracts are up and then let leave.
    Big headache if the play or sign a new deal.

Pretty sure Jackson signed a 2 year contract about this time last year.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39132828
    March 2017..  he was given a new contract deal after being arrested in 2016. Maybe they didn't think it would go to trial then? Anyway..
    I do think the Ulster supports will be more forgiving than the rest of the Island as you said. Don't know if they will test the waters by letting them play this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

bilston wrote: »
    Maybe Ulster will test the waters in the last game or two of the season and pick them. That gives them room to manoeuvre based on the reaction. If it is really bad then they have the summer to work out how to release them and let them move on. If it goes ok then the worst of it may be over and by next season people will have moved on.

Ireland is different. I detect (on social media only) a lot more hostility to them from some down south. I'm not sure I can see them playing for Ireland again anytime soon. That may impact on whether Ulster keep them.

I think it's largely gender based rather than location based, certainly seems to be the majority from what I have seen. I saw different female Ulster supporters tweeting today that they would never attend a match again if either were selected for Ulster. I wasn't sure how seriously to take such statements but when I looked at their historic tweets they had photos at Ulster games etc so were genuine fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think we've almost tired ourselves out in one day, I feel like this will be forgotten by next year

I really don't think so but whether it's forgotten about or when it dies down will depend heavily on what IRFU do next. This is potentially a PR nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

On the (possible) need for a new OH, is there any point at looking at getting Steenson to come back. Being IQ would be a big plus for the IRFU so they should have no problem sanctioning it. He's probably the most talented IQ player playing abroad at the minute. I admit to having no idea about his contract in Exeter but it could be a great opportunity to get him back in an Irish set up with the carrot of a WC around the corner (likely his last chance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

On the (possible) need for a new OH, is there any point at looking at getting Steenson to come back. Being IQ would be a big plus for the IRFU so they should have no problem sanctioning it. He's probably the most talented IQ player playing abroad at the minute. I admit to having no idea about his contract in Exeter but it could be a great opportunity to get him back in an Irish set up with the carrot of a WC around the corner (likely his last chance).

Just signed a new corntract recently.
    Will be interesting to see how long this review process lasts. It could take days, or weeks. Ulster could have a big play off game with ERC qualification on the line at the end of the season.

He is 34 or 35.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

steenson has no interest

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Still playing at a very high level and playing well. Regardless a new contract will likely take him to retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumour mill on Twitter suggests several clubs in England and France chasing PJ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not surprising. He'll do fine overseas but, his international career would probably end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Would imagine he'll head off. His earning power here has taken a hit - while he may still command a good salary for playing rugby, his image rights are worth zilch in Ireland now, and employers here (IRFU/UR) face a PR nightmare when/if he plays for them again. Same goes for Olding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Heard both are premiership bound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The word a good while ago was Exeter. Haven't heard anythiing to the contrary since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Still playing at a very high level and playing well. Regardless a new contract will likely take him to retirement

Playing at a High level on the bench for exeter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

Dubinusa wrote:
    Not surprising. He'll do fine overseas but, his international career would probably end.

It's hard to see either of them playing for Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The word a good while ago was Exeter. Haven't heard anythiing to the contrary since.

Apparently deal done with London Irish , all will be known down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    That would be a surprise. LI are going nowhere except down and the prospects of going up again are diminishing rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Such nonsense.

Do you really think PJ will go anywhere near the very coach who is just possibily the worst coach Ulster have had in the past 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I think it's largely gender based rather than location based, certainly seems to be the majority from what I have seen. I saw different female Ulster supporters tweeting today that they would never attend a match again if either were selected for Ulster. I wasn't sure how seriously to take such statements but when I looked at their historic tweets they had photos at Ulster games etc so were genuine fans.

And I have seen female Ulster supporters posting that they will not buy season tickets if they do not play for Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I hope if Jackson does go that he publicly states that he did leaving because of not wanting to be in Ulster with the rampant media attention etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jackson is still under contract. There is no deal done with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I doubt if both stay on. Jackson could be kept on as he is a needed asset to Irish rugby with the lack of depth at 10. Olding is more dispensable.
    He hadn't nailed down a position that fitted his talents upto now.

However the irfu may be happy to let both go elsewhere. It would be interesting whether key sponsors have an input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It would be interesting whether key sponsors have an input.

Fans have an input too. Remember internationals are big family day outs. Regardless of the verdict, their actions have not gone down well with many people, something the IRFU will be keen to remain disassociated with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement