Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your predictions for 2018

Options
  • 31-12-2017 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread of predictions and update it if or when it comes true.

Mine are

That bitcoin and crypto currency will grow but will eventually crash but the technology behind it all will exceed by becoming simpler to use and develop someway into everyday .

One of the royal family will die

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thought I'd start a thread of predictions and update it if or when it comes true.

Mine are

That bitcoin and crypto currency will grow but will eventually crash but the technology behind it all will exceed by becoming simpler to use and develop someway into everyday .

One of the royal family will die

What's yours?

A genius president will become increasingly bigly and save the world

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bono will finally assimilate into a being without form, and ascend to heaven to look down upon us plebs with a disappointed look on his formless face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Boards will become relevant

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• We'll get a new Iphone and people will break it in the first day.
    • Next will have an early morning sale.
    • We'll have months of bickering about the 8th amendment.
    • Brown Thomas will open their Christmas shop in August and people will be outraged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bockchain technology doesn't need bitcoin. It's exactly the same relationship of the holograms on your windows licences and the ones on banknotes. So a Windows 95 hologram can tell you it's genuine, but has no relation to what your Euro is worth compared to Sterling.

There's been a couple of companies whose share price has trebled because they announced they were going to use blockchain or by changing the company name to something that sounded bitcoiny.

Look at the graph for the value of bitcoin vs. the number of google searches for it.

• Advertisement

Trump will last the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

There'll be progress made with regards to the 8th amendment and the REPEAL jumper gang will implode with the sense of validation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Dublin will win Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I predict a riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'll quit gambling and boozing and still manage to lose money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

a backlash against the overly politically correctness will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A genius president will become increasingly bigly and save the world

I give Trump 6 hours before he tweets something inflammatory. In a bigly manner of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

and house prices continue to rise at a ridiculous rate.

I predict that this one will either be locked or merged into the other prediction thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Bockchain technology doesn't need bitcoin. It's exactly the same relationship of the holograms on your windows licences and the ones on banknotes. So a Windows 95 hologram can tell you it's genuine, but has no relation to what your Euro is worth compared to Sterling.

There's been a couple of companies whose share price has trebled because they announced they were going to use blockchain or by changing the company name to something that sounded bitcoiny.

Look at the graph for the value of bitcoin vs. the number of google searches for it.

This is what I mean.

Blockchain will sky rocket and make more money thank bitcoin ever did

This is what I mean.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, in Ireland having a bucket of water is of little value, but having a bucket of water in the middle of the desert while surrounded by thirsty people, you have (the equivalent of) a bucket of liquid gold.

Too many crypto currencies and you end up with the equivalent of a bucket of Irish water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Harvey Norman won’t have a sale for 3 consecutive days

Go Harvey, go! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is what I mean.

No.

Lots of Blockchains will be used in verifying transactions and records. Banks aren't going to be paying transaction fees they can avoid so they are rolling their own versions.

Just a reminder that every scam that's been applied to real money has been applied to bitcoin and the exchanges and then some. Bitcoins can be lost, confiscated by the FBI, exchanges can be hacked or just disappear. This week there was an old school kidnapping of a bitcoin expert in Ukraine for $1m.

And you can now buy bitcoin futures. For a commodity where so many actors can push the button to drop the price by 20% or more on demand, it's going to be a roller coaster. China regularly clamps down, Korea is starting to do the same, and there's the big mining cartels, the forks.

The Abortion referendum will pass, narrowly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

More of the same fcuking shlt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Iran will teeter near collapse and free elections will happen within the year but an Islamic party will win it.

Trump will keep not doing much actual stuff internationally but there will be less focus on his statements.

Focus of sex scandals stuff will move to the music industry

FF will make major electoral gains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No.

Lots of Blockchains will be used in verifying transactions and records. Banks aren't going to be paying transaction fees they can avoid so they are rolling their own versions.

Just a reminder that every scam that's been applied to real money has been applied to bitcoin and the exchanges and then some. Bitcoins can be lost, confiscated by the FBI, exchanges can be hacked or just disappear. This week there was an old school kidnapping of a bitcoin expert in Ukraine for $1m.

And you can now buy bitcoin futures. For a commodity where so many actors can push the button to drop the price by 20% or more on demand, it's going to be a roller coaster. China regularly clamps down, Korea is starting to do the same, and there's the big mining cartels, the forks.

Blockchains, in their current implementation, does actually need a cryptocurrency, be it Bitcoin, Ethereum or one of the others. That's how its mining->reward system works....by "winning" digital currency. You cant have Blockchain without cryptocurrencies unless you are going to re-architecture Blockchain and can do so without compromising its security benefits (and solve the tonnes of problems it has especially with scalability while you're at it)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

England will win the World Cup (soccer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

lets put this in a different way to other threads on this subject.

predictions for my life in 2018:

will pass all exams and graduate with a 2,1
    will find a decent job off the back of it and finally be able to plan for future.
    will mourn the sad loss of my son to the dreaded marriage. (foolish boy :P)
    will buy a new (2nd hand) car with some years left in it.

predictions for Ireland:

the 8th will stay in place,
    some folks will go nuts over some sporting event, sam, premier league, rugby etc while the rest of us look on in confusion.
    the R&R forum will explode with new members and become the most visited forum on the site due to the eloquent meanderings of the many intelligent posters there.
    judges will finally get some sense and start handing out high sentences to repeat offenders and low pay outs to repeat claimants, as a result after hours will have no new threads other than dole/traveller bashing and will cease to exist :)
    after several failed appeals i give up on getting my ban lifted and re reg as batman/fatman

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Blockchains, in their current implementation, does actually need a cryptocurrency, be it Bitcoin, Ethereum or one of the others. That's how its mining->reward system works....by "winning" digital currency. You cant have Blockchain without cryptocurrencies unless you are going to re-architecture Blockchain and can do so without compromising its security benefits (and solve the tonnes of problems it has especially with scalability while you're at it)!
    Only needs a crypto currency if you want to use other people's electricity.

If the banks agree to use their own internal system then they just need to share the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

E0YN5q8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The domestication of the dog will continue unabated.

Germany Win the FIFA World Cup in Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Bitcoin will pass €100,000.

Advertisement