Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Chromecast on a Shield is much better than on a Google Chromecast, much better hardware, better codec support

For some reason it sucks with Virgin though. I have built in chromecast on the TV and watching the rugby I always had to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Basq wrote: »
    FYI - remote back in stock: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

I was sick of waiting for it to come back in stock so took advantage of cheap sterling a day or two back and ordered a Shield TV (Tube) off Amazon Warehouse for ~€120.

Just ordered two there, thanks for the notification. Looking forward to getting these up and running. The old remote was a real weakness in the 2017 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

advertsfox wrote: »
    While it's a Nvidia product, it's stock Android TV with the most amazing support and hardware. You'd be mad to wait.

Chromecast Ultra will be likely cheaper also but I hear ya. I'll keep eyes out for a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ush1 wrote: »
    Chromecast Ultra will be likely cheaper also but I hear ya. I'll keep eyes out for a bargain.
    Oh it definitely will be (around €50 I reckon) but it's probably targeted to compete with the Fire Stick 4K and to push more YouTube TV + the Android TV OS itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am somewhat out of the loop but are we any closer to a native 4OD app?

I was chromecasting from app on phone but even now I got a weird error message trying to chromecast Great British Bake Off the other evening saying "it wasn't available on this device" (or something to that effect)! :(

Just replacing my Roku with a second Shield...and that's the only kicker, the Roku stick has a fantastic 4OD app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quite a few Shield TV available on the Amazon Warehouse today for £131.10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07Z6QQZPF/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

banie01 wrote: »
    Quite a few Shield TV available on the Amazon Warehouse today for £131.10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07Z6QQZPF/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all
    I picked up a 'Used (Acceptable)' the other day for £111 (splurged on cheap sterling when weak last week so worked out roughly €120).
    Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the front of the item. Medium (less than 1" x 1") cosmetic imperfection on the top of the item. Large scratches on the sides of the item (greater than 1 in. x 1 in.). Large scratches on the back of the item (> 1 in.). Item is in original packaging, but packaging has damage.

Condition indicates a good few imperfections / scratches (scratches everywhere basically - as above! :D) but it'll a small enough device and will be hanging behind the TV in a wall bracket anyways so don't mind that!

Plan to get rid of my Roku streaming stick in bedroom and replace it with this, then swap remotes with my Nvidia Shield 2017 model in sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

I picked up a 'Used (Acceptable)' the other day for £111 (splurged on cheap sterling when weak last week so worked out roughly €120).

Condition indicates a good few imperfections / scratches (scratches everywhere basically - as above! :D) but it'll a small enough device and will be hanging behind the TV in a wall bracket anyways so don't mind that!

Plan to get rid of my Roku streaming stick in bedroom and replace it with this, then swap remotes with my Nvidia Shield 2017 model in sitting room.

Scratches wouldn't bother me as long as it's in working order,they are fairly bullet proof ( shield)

Scratches wouldn't bother me as long as it's in working order,they are fairly bullet proof ( shield)
    Amazon Warehouse are very good to be fair..

.. if not happy, they'll offer free returns, or take off more money from what you paid to settle and hold onto it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Chromecasting works fine for me though.
    Mine tends to just stop in a state of buffering after the first ad break when casting. Frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

Mine tends to just stop in a state of buffering after the first ad break when casting. Frustrating!

This happens to be too. I tried casting from my oneplus and my wife's iPhone and get the same. Restart the cast and it works again until the next ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭BandMember

What's the best (and easiest) method to use in order to watch the BBC iPlayer?

BandMember wrote: »
    What's the best (and easiest) method to use in order to watch the BBC iPlayer?

A smart DNS service rather than VPN.
    BBC are very quick at switching off VPNs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

banie01 wrote: »
    A smart DNS service rather than VPN.
    BBC are very quick at switching off VPNs.

How can I set this up the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

Just looking on around on Donedeal, Adverts etc and there's 2017 models going for 100-120. Reckon it's worth picking up one of these on the cheap rather than the TV or Pro 2019 models?

tuff1 wrote: »
    Just looking on around on Donedeal, Adverts etc and there's 2017 models going for 100-120. Reckon it's worth picking up one of these on the cheap rather than the TV or Pro 2019 models?

Go for it

CEX has had the 2017 model for about €130 once or twice in the last month.. but with controller and no remote.

If you've an oldish phone, easy enough to get close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Does anyone know if Disney + will work on the Shield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Daz_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Disney + will work on the Shield?

Yes, I installed it the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Yes, I installed it the other night.

Excellent thank you

• Advertisement

So this arrived just over a week early.. to say I'm pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

Everything well packaged in the box, although does look repackaged (sellotape on top of box):

IMG-20200327-105405.jpg

This is the worst scratch on it and you'd have to look for it as the matt exterior hides them well.. I was honestly expecting a few deep white scratches of surface:

IMG-20200327-105306.jpg

Remote is absolutely pristine:

IMG-20200327-105237.jpg

No HDMI cable in the box though doesn't indicate if there should be... I've a rake of them anyways!

EDIT: From reading around.. nope, no HDMI provided.

A steal at €120 IMO... also picked up a 128GB micro SD card for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

No HDMI cable in the box though doesn't indicate if there should be... I've a rake of them anyways!

Yes it doesn't come with a HDMI cable when new, which is unbelievably stingy for such an expensive product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

A Plex related (stupid) question..

If I have the Plex server running on the Shield, but use the Plex client app on my TV, does direct-play still happen or will it transcribe everything?

It should direct play as long as it's in a format and has an audio codec that the client app on the TV can natively play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

OK lads a few questions from myself yet again realted to Shield and Getflix:

1. Does it open RTE Player from abroad??
    2. Do I need a second/alternative Google account for Irish/UK stuff if the Shield is setup for German use normally??
    3. Is Getflix an app that I install on the Shield?? Can be switched on and off according to use??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm also very interested in Getflix. $35.64 for 2 years seems decent too.

What do people use it for mainly.

Just to get U.S netflix and watch BBC iPlayer mainly I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭xlogo

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    I'm also very interested in Getflix. $35.64 for 2 years seems decent too.

Where can I get Getflix for that price??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

xlogo wrote: »
    Where can I get Getflix for that price??

"Click on the "Promo Code" tab and enter the code LIFETIME60 to claim your 60% lifetime discount on two yearly subscriptions."

1. Getflix doesn't work with RTE Player, sadly. Or, I have never gotten it to work!
    2. No second Google account needed, all you are tweaking is your DNS settings either at Device or Router level.
    3. No app on the Shield, it's not like a VPN - you edit your DNS and then setup your dashboard on the Getflix website for what services you want. There's an mobile app to easily update your IP / turn regional Netflix on / off etc.

Automatic region switching without having to connect via a VPN to pick a specific country etc.

Eg you can access UK and US content at the same time without having to do anything.

I use it for US Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and then iPlayer / ITV Hub.

BBC will look for account details to access I player, at least it did for me when trialling a VPN lately ( I used a specific address in the 6 counties)

Just put any valid UK postcode, it’s not unique to the BBC web account.

Did that obviously,my old post code,( n of IRELAND) looking fir licence details etc, no joy

• Advertisement

Did that obviously,my old post code,( n of IRELAND) looking fir licence details etc, no joy

There are 2 options to register as far as I can remember.
    1 with license details, 1 without, both need address details tho.

I know when I registered for iPlayer that I used option 2.

Advertisement