Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

yabadabado wrote: »
    There is a remap app in the play store.iirc some posted a YouTube guide here

Cheers, I had a search and found the guide. Will sort it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I miss the talk about the Shield itself! :D

So what games are you guys playing on geforce now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It did! The driver called me at about half 8 and apologised for not being able to deliver yesterday, I was in work but herself was in to take it. I'm not long home but it's working away grand, just need to figure out how to remap the Netflix button, I'm not seeing an option for it in the settings.

You need to install an app called button map or something like that, but don't make the same mistake as me, and make sure and go into settings (on the Shield) and grant the app accessibility.

Then open the app and it is straight forward enough.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wish they would appear in stock for longer then 5mins!!

They were in stock for ages on the day I posted the original heads up, 24hrs or so I would say. Just keep checking back every day at random times - that's what I did, if I spot them again I'll pm you or even order one for you and square me up via revolut or PayPal.

Anyone's iPlayer playing up tonight? Will let me in, but once in the remote becomes useless, and the app crashes after about 20 secs?

• Advertisement

Yeah retrying it this morning here and nothings changed, it's your only app that's doing it, basically the app opens and I get to sign in, can see shows etc but the remote (and I've tried the remote app on my phone) just becomes completely unresponsive.

Tried clearing data, disabling/enabling app tried it with VPN on/off etc etc but nothing.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Strange, have you tried just removing and re-installing from the play store?

Just messing around with it earlier, seems to be a known issue awaiting an update to resolve.

Basically if you open the app and just leave it for 10secs it will be ok, it's when you try opening the app and using it straight away is when the issues arise.

Got this from Reddit.
    The workaround is to wait for about 10 seconds after you log in then navigate. Seems to be related to refresh rate app, so if you want to disable that and then you should have normal control, but seems the issue has been noted and a fix will be on its way later. I just use the workaround as its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok changed wifi and trying to synch the Shield 2017 to Harmony Hub Elite remote

Shield is now hardwired and have activity set up to turn the shield on and off. But when I go into settings and add accessory shield cannot find harmony

dont want to remove shield and start again but that the only way?

Harmony is on the 2.4ghz

Launch the Harmony app
    Select MENU, then Harmony Setup > Add/Edit Devices & Activities > DEVICES.
    Select DEVICES and then press the ADD DEVICEbutton at the bottom of the screen.
    Select SCAN FOR WI‑FI DEVICES and Harmony will search for SHIELD TV devices on your home Wi‑Fi network.
    Your SHIELD TV will be detected as NVIDIA Game Console.
    Once added, Harmony will prompt you to create an Activity. Select Yes.
    Continue through the series of questions to build your Watch NVIDIA SHIELD Activity.

Once you have selected your devices and inputs, Harmony will prompt you to Bluetoothpair Harmony and NVIDIA SHIELD.
    Using your SHIELD TV controller, navigate to the home screen.
    Select Settings > Add accessory, Harmony and SHIELD TV should pair after several seconds your Harmony hub will appear as Harmony Keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not exactly shield related but reports that the new Chromecast Ultra with be Android TV enabled and come with a remote.

Sounds good as I always thought the Chromecast should be able to stand on its own and stream from it's own apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone have any issues with LAN cable being detected.

Latest firmware , shield 2019 lan is coming from a powerline?

• Advertisement

Anyone have any issues with LAN cable being detected.

Latest firmware , shield 2019 lan is coming from a powerline?

I would suspect the powerline, they are hit or miss

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I would suspect the powerline, they are hit or miss

Yeah it worked before until I moved it from the bedroom to the kitchen . Works fine on my PS4 pro too

Yeah it worked before until I moved it from the bedroom to the kitchen . Works fine on my PS4 pro too

It can be done at one socket, terrible at another. There's is no way to diagnose as power cables are not designed to carry data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Watch out for the admin charge they'll likely hit you with once it arrives. Should hopefully be under the limit for customs charges at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Remotes back in stock

I've no need for one using android app can't justify the price

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The RTE app keeps crashing for me.

Is this because it’s a piece of crap or am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

its a piece of crap. You need to clear cache after every use afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's a load of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Yeah, piece of crap! Uninstall it and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Rte worked fine for me until I upgraded the software on the shield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭yellowbear

That used to work for me but the last few days even that doesn't work. It just hangs on the big Rte player writing that usually pops up when you start the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That explains why it was failing for me too. Anyone know of another way to stream rte live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

JohnK wrote: »
    That explains why it was failing for me too. Anyone know of another way to stream rte live?

Casting from the RTE App on a phone(Android), to the Shield works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

bazzz wrote: »
    Casting from the RTE App on a phone(Android), to the Shield works well.

Thanks, I've been trying that over the last few days but found it pretty unreliable - it kept dropping the connection or just freezing. 99% certain it's not an issue with my internet connection as I'd be streaming a lot of Netflix and YouTube without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Thanks, I've been trying that over the last few days but found it pretty unreliable - it kept dropping the connection or just freezing. 99% certain it's not an issue with my internet connection as I'd be streaming a lot of Netflix and YouTube without any issues.

I've not had any issues at all the past few days. I'm (the Shield) connected via LAN to a Three router.
    Then I'm connected via 5GHz band from my phone, for casting. No drop-outs, bad sync, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI - remote back in stock: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

I was sick of waiting for it to come back in stock so took advantage of cheap sterling a day or two back and ordered a Shield TV (Tube) off Amazon Warehouse for ~€120.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not sure to go for the Shield Tube or wait for the rumoured Chromecast Ultra with Android TV.

Really want the 4k streaming but I'm a Google head and like to get their own products.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not sure to go for the Shield Tube or wait for the rumoured Chromecast Ultra with Android TV.

Really want the 4k streaming but I'm a Google head and like to get their own products.:o
    While it's a Nvidia product, it's stock Android TV with the most amazing support and hardware. You'd be mad to wait.

Ush1 wrote: »

Chromecast on a Shield is much better than on a Google Chromecast, much better hardware, better codec support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

You can't watch any channels live on this app anyway, it's strictly for VOD content. Depending on where you are, a small indoor aerial could be an option.

I haven't tried this app on my Shield in ages due to the same issue as posters on here are having, but, it has always worked 100% perfectly with my Android TV and I use it all the time on that.

Advertisement