Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

is anyone using an Xbox one controller on their Shield? I got a used one the other day, but it won't connect via Bluetooth. Nothing shows up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭nedd

Are you holding the sync button on the controller?

Have you tried connecting it via USB? That worked for me with my PS3 controller. Connect it once and then it works wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

nedd wrote: »
    Are you holding the sync button on the controller?

Have you tried connecting it via USB? That worked for me with my PS3 controller. Connect it once and then it works wireless.

yeah, I was holding sync button. Also I connected it via USB and then tried again but no luck on Bluetooth. It was working ok on USB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

chewed wrote: »
    yeah, I was holding sync button. Also I connected it via USB and then tried again but no luck on Bluetooth. It was working ok on USB

I don't think all xbox one controllers are bluetooth. that might be the issue. I've used my xbox one controllers via bluetooth with the Shield, but there is a noticeable latency.

see this

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5fr7r1/easy_way_to_tell_if_a_controller_supports/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Barney224

I posted this on another thread, more to do with my overall broadband speeds around the house. I have a 2017 Shield (which I believe can support up to 1GB download) and it's connected via ethernet to the router. I have 300mb FTTH in the house, but when I ever run a speed test (via the speedtest app) I can only get up to 60mb down. I assume I should be getting much more if I'm connected directly to the router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Barney224 wrote: »
    I posted this on another thread, more to do with my overall broadband speeds around the house. I have a 2017 Shield (which I believe can support up to 1GB download) and it's connected via ethernet to the router. I have 300mb FTTH in the house, but when I ever run a speed test (via the speedtest app) I can only get up to 60mb down. I assume I should be getting much more if I'm connected directly to the router?

It depends on the router, the router may not have gigabit ports, which if I remember correctly would limit your max download speed to 100mb.If the router does not have gigabit ports you may actually get better speeds via WiFi, most decent AC, 5g, routers would give you max speeds around 800mb. Also if you have powerline adapters anywhere in the equation these will drastically affect your potential speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There's a lot of factors that can effect this and it's often an issue between the router and the device(s). Before you get too far down the rabbit-hole, are your current speeds causing you issues? If not, it's probably not worth the hassle of chasing it down.

xckjoo wrote: »
    There's a lot of factors that can effect this and it's often an issue between the router and the device(s). Before you get too far down the rabbit-hole, are your current speeds causing you issues? If not, it's probably not worth the hassle of chasing it down.

No, speeeds not really causing issues, though sometimes playing stuff from Plex there's a bit of buffering. I have a media server in the next room which is connected via wifi. I have a Frtizbox 7560 which has gigabit portsI might try the wifi as you've suggested to see if that makes a difference. The issue I have mainly is that I'm paying for 300mb, so should be getting above 150 at least, I would imagine. I understand there's a load of factors in play. Ah well...1st world problems!

xckjoo wrote: »

No, speeeds not really causing issues, though sometimes playing stuff from Plex there's a bit of buffering. I have a media server in the next room which is connected via wifi. I have a Frtizbox 7560 which has gigabit portsI might try the wifi as you've suggested to see if that makes a difference. The issue I have mainly is that I'm paying for 300mb, so should be getting above 150 at least, I would imagine. I understand there's a load of factors in play. Ah well...1st world problems! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

No, speeeds not really causing issues, though sometimes playing stuff from Plex there's a bit of buffering. I have a media server in the next room which is connected via wifi. I have a Frtizbox 7560 which has gigabit portsI might try the wifi as you've suggested to see if that makes a difference. The issue I have mainly is that I'm paying for 300mb, so should be getting above 150 at least, I would imagine. I understand there's a load of factors in play. Ah well...1st world problems! :D

Get the media server off WiFi will most likely fix your issues, 60mbit is plenty for any 4k media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ya I get you. You want to get what you're paying for or what's the point? But then the hassle of dealing with the companies and learning enough to argue your case with them is often time consuming.
    Regarding the plex server buffering, it shouldn't be effected by your Internet speed so that's something you can look into with talking to your ISP. Best solution is to get it wired to the same router. If that's not possible, check it your can optimise your wireless network by changing channels. Grab an app for your phone like "WiFi Analyzer" and see if you can find some less congested channels to set your router to.

VF?

I'm with Digiweb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nvidia UK/Ire have stock of the new remote again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm with Digiweb

Was asking because VF were throttling ,,,,for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brand new SanDisk USB key to replace my dead one (the Shield runs way too hot so fried my last one by the way).

Anyways, it's one of the recommended models (SDCZ48-032G-U46) and plugged it in and it just says 'SanDisk USB key is safely ejected'.. no option to reformat or anything.

Formatted it as FAT32 on MacBook and works fine - any thoughts?

Tried formatting on ExFAT on MacBook and still says same as Shield but indicates it's corrupted. Jaysus.. nothing is ever straight forward with filesystems.

Basq wrote: »
    Brand new SanDisk USB key to replace my dead one (the Shield runs way too hot so fried my last one by the way).

Anyways, it's one of the recommended models (SDCZ48-032G-U46) and plugged it in and it just says 'SanDisk USB key is safely ejected'.. no option to reformat or anything.

Formatted it as FAT32 on MacBook and works fine - any thoughts?

I don't have a Shield but in the past I've found FAT32 formatting on the native Mac disk utility tool can be hit and miss in terms of the sd card/usb behaving as expected on other devices.

I used this tool to format an sd card for a Pi recently and it worked like a charm so it might be worth a try

b.gud wrote: »
    I don't have a Shield but in the past I've found FAT32 formatting on the native Mac disk utility tool can be hit and miss in terms of the sd card/usb behaving as expected on other devices.

I used this tool to format an sd card for a Pi recently and it worked like a charm so it might be worth a try

You legend...

IMG-20200214-163754.jpg

.. that did it perfectly!

Huge thanks!

Basq wrote: »
    You legend...

IMG-20200214-163754.jpg

.. that did it perfectly!

Huge thanks!

Excellent glad it worked for you

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

New remotes are back in stock
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you haven't already, use a usb 3 extension cable or hub for the stick to stop it burning out.

If you haven't already, use a usb 3 extension cable or hub for the stick to stop it burning out.
    Yeah, I have a USB extension cable but doesn't seem to recognise drive when plugged in so might be too slow. Been looking out for a hub alright. May even have one lying around.

EDIT: Just rooted around my big box of cables (I can't be the only one that has this.. you never know when you're gonna need a SCART cable, or 3) and found another one which did recognise the drive when plugged into it. Will give it a go but may not be fast enough. Should do for now however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

swampy353 wrote: »
    Bought! Been looking at the US site for weeks, like a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Bought metro exodus on Steam (only out on Steam today) playing on the Shield using geforce now. It's 1920 X 1200 ultra settings with Ray tracing on high and physx on. Wow, just wow. Looks epic on my 60 inch TV, my TV is upscaling to 4k. It's some game

Be sure that if you decide to sign up to Geforce Now that you do it via a US based VPN ;)

Use Revolut and that you get a $4.99 monthly rather than €5.49 charge.

Every little helps and all that jazz!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

banie01 wrote: »
    Be sure that if you decide to sign up to Geforce Now that you do it via a US based VPN ;)

Use Revolut and that you get a $4.99 monthly rather than €5.49 charge.

Every little helps and all that jazz!

What post code did you use?
    Im trying to make an account but cant get past the post code?
    Thanks.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What post code did you use?
    Im trying to make an account but cant get past the post code?
    Thanks.

90210 and picked California as my State :D.
    Left the rest of my address as per it's Irish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can I use an Irish card and just use that postcode?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Can I use an Irish card and just use that postcode?

I used Revolut, so can't speak as to using an Irish card.
    I'd personally avoid using an Irish card anyway unless it offered free FX, kinda defeats the whole purpose if being hit with an FX charge on the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

swampy353 wrote: »

Out of stock again.is there anywhere else selling them

Advertisement