Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

JDxtra wrote: »
    New Shield remote ordered. The battery compartment can't be any worse than the one on my Samsung TV remote!

Can I ask where you ordred from, looked on amazon out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Would also be interested to know where to order one. Mine has just been destroyed by a spill, no saving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

theintern wrote: »
    The new remote is available online to buy. 33 euro with free shipping to Ireland, not too bad.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/
    Rip off but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BobMc wrote: »
    Can I ask where you ordred from, looked on amazon out of stock
    Nvidia store this morning but its out of stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Isn't there an alternative third-party remote available with better volume buttons, etc. Think I read about it on this thread before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Great remote....works perfectly for the Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭theintern

corwill wrote: »
    Already out of stock!

Really? Glad I ordered as soon as I saw it. Will report back on how it is.

Arrived this morning... :)

CxgwBMX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone updated to the new 8.0.2 and any issues other than default launcher removal?

Installed app called launch on boot prior to update it but have not updated it yet. Hopefully this will keep my existing TV Launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

JDxtra wrote: »
    Arrived this morning... :)

CxgwBMX.png

How much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 johnory1

Does Nvidia not sell the nvidia streaming boxes to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

johnory1 wrote: »
    Does Nvidia not sell the nvidia streaming boxes to Ireland?

Nope. Most people buy from Amazon or direct from nvidia, using AddressPal, ParcelMotel, etc. There are other places in the UK sell the Shields and ship to Ireland.

When I ordered the remote the other day, the drop down list said United Kingdom and Ireland (only two countries). Now when I check it only United Kingdom is there. If I select a Shield PRO I get the option of United Kingdom and Portugal. Sounds a bit messsed up!

If I recall even stranger when I ordered my 2017 sheild via parcel hotel, its shipped from an address in shannon.

Any stock showing for the new remote??

as an aside, finally bit bullet and ordered 2nd shield pro, came this morning via amazon uk, cant wait to set it up,
    new remote with duracell batteries already fitted how nice. 2017 sheild has been so rock
    solid and like a fool been using it in the den, New pro is going on 4k HDR telly in main living room, originally been using
    a MiBox, which despite its detractors has served me pretty well but its time is up

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BobMc wrote: »
    new remote with duracell batteries already fitted how nice.
    Finally they've done away with the terrible CR2032 batteries... every time I replace the battery with a new one, it indicates battery is "critically low" yet still lasts a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi Guys,

I'm ready to jump on the shield train after years with a fire tv. I'm going to grab the new tube model. Where is the cheapest place to buy these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Basq wrote: »
    Finally they've done away with the terrible CR2032 batteries... every time I replace the battery with a new one, it indicates battery is "critically low" yet still lasts a few months.

You need to stop buying them in Dealz and buy Energizer :p

breeno wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm ready to jump on the shield train after years with a fire tv. I'm going to grab the new tube model. Where is the cheapest place to buy these days?
    Seems standard most places at £149 (or the euro equivalent).

You could save some cash by buying from Amazon Warehouse which range from £131 with small imperfections to £146.02 where just packaging is damaged.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07Z6QQZPF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Nvidia+shield&qid=1580732043&sr=8-4
    You need to stop buying them in Dealz and buy Energizer :p
    How'd you guess?!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

How'd you guess?!? :pac:

It's been mentioned here a few times, there's even been issues with known good brands out of Dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Seems standard most places at £149 (or the euro equivalent).

You could save some cash by buying from Amazon Warehouse which range from £131 with small imperfections to £146.02 where just packaging is damaged.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07Z6QQZPF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Nvidia+shield&qid=1580732043&sr=8-4

That's the Tube version - it's cheaper than the Pro model but most would recommend getting the Pro.

• Advertisement

Same just happened on my 2017 remote, gave to my friendly neighbourhood jeweller a close friend, and have that error too just changed on friday gone

BandMember wrote: »
    That's the Tube version - it's cheaper than the Pro model but most would recommend getting the Pro.
    Yeah, breeno asked about the Tube model! ;)
    breeno wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's a pity they didnt go back to the rechargeable remote.Be much handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hi guys just wondering what kind of prices are the 2017 version with gaming controller fetching now?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2019 model and would think about it if I got 170 and I could throw in a year subscription for stbemualtor.. Anyone think that be fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering what kind of prices are the 2017 version with gaming controller fetching now?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2019 model and would think about it if I got 170 and I could throw in a year subscription for stbemualtor.. Anyone think that be fair price?

There's really not a lot to be gained from the upgrade IMO.
    The 2017 models were a stepped back version of the 2015, and apart from Dolby vision there isn't IMO any gain in buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭theintern

After using the new remote for a few days, I can confirm it's a nice upgrade on the 2017 version.

The volume being buttons was alone a reason for me to swap. Having dedicated play pause is handy too. I haven't looked to remap the Netflix button yet, but it's apparently possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FYI

The Shield is in stock again on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nvidea-geforce-now-founders-membership-90days-free-3401123

Is Geforce Now out of Beta?

Does this mean if I was waiting on an email to get approved I now won't get it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nedd

errlloyd wrote: »
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nvidea-geforce-now-founders-membership-90days-free-3401123

Is Geforce Now out of Beta?

Does this mean if I was waiting on an email to get approved I now won't get it. :(

It means you have to pay €5 a month for the service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

The first 90 Days of Geforce Now are free, you will get charged €4.99 monthly after those 90 days are up. I must say I am very impressed so far, I have 150mb Fibre broadband and games like Destiny 2 and Yakuza0 run like a dream streamed to the Shield.
    Games currently playable on Geforce Now on the list below. Some are still available free but the majority are playable if you own them on the Steam or Epic Store library.

https://www.gfnlist.com/

Advertisement