Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just listed one of my shields over on Adverts if anyone is interested.

May the new owner enjoy it as much as I have 😁

Post edited by banie01 on

Folks, I have the Nvidia Shield Pro running the latest 9.1 firmware version (which I believe is Anrdoid TV 12). There's no RTÉ Player available in the Google Play store and I'm not comfortable running an APK from those sketchy apk sites. However I'm told it is actually avaiable for Android TV. The Shield is the only piece of tech based on Android we not sure what is happening. I have a GSuite email address as opposed to a Gmail/Google account so wondering if that might be causing an issue? What's unusual is everything else is available - TG4, Virgin Media Player, YouTube, Tivimate, VLC Media Player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just checked mine, RTE Player is there for me. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭ooter

Looking for a bit of help/advice if possible please, for some reason since yesterday my shield is stuck on October 17th 2022, I have to manually set it to the current date for any apps to open but if I power the shield off it reverts back to the old date when I switch it back on.

Would anyone know how I rectify this, had a look on Google and YouTube but no joy?

Would a factory reset solve the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Hi, I bought the Shield Pro 2019 last year. All fine until last week when I got a HDCP error using the Netflix app. I've been all around the web for a solution and onto Nvidia who referred me to Netflix who referred me back to Nvidia. No joy. From other sites, it can be a hardware or HDMI cable issue. I've tried all the HDMI cables which worked on the TV and the projector so it's not the cables. Nvidia seem determined to make it as hard as they can to invoke the warranty. Has anyone else encountered or solved this issue? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Picked this up in argos for 3.50. Holds the shield and the ext ssd that i use for plex cache nicely up and out of the way

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9279856/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/Trail/searchtext%3ECLEARANCE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My fear would be overheating stuck to the back of the telly..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

may or may not be relevent but I went through this rodeo with NVidia support for a 2017 shield, and they eventually replaced it. There should be logging available, or some kind of indication somewhere in the system menu which version of HDCP is supported, they agreed a replacement when I sent them that (or they were able to access the logs). Mine was well out of warranty as well, so I was pretty happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have had it set up for 6+ months (only saw the caddy back in stock today) and have had zero issue so far (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I stuck the shield to the wall behind the TV with Command Strips. The shield, the hard drive, the power bar, the mixer (I use for a karaoke set up). They're all command stripped to the wall...

• Advertisement

I recall something similar, think it ended up being an issue with the TV. It was an old plasma I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Thanks for comments folks. Persistence paid off with Nvidia support. Replacement unit shipped today. Support and warranty were my main reasons for spending more than I needed to on an android TV box so I'm glad it proved the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok have Nvidia Shield and also Harmony Hub elite. Changed the wifi in the house and now cannot pair the remote with the shield. Shield is hardwired so cannot locate it using app on same network. Was working before and have activities set up.

Anyone know how to pair remote to Shield ?

edit

Got it working re running activities and re pairing

Post edited by Irish Gunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

If you access the Shields accessories menu and setup from there. The Harmony will come in as a Bluetooth keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Had to re run activity on Harmony app and set it up that way. Tried the above never showed up

Not totally shield related but, knowing how many of us use or have used Logitech Harmony remotes. I will be listing my harmony ultimate including hub over on adverts later.

If anyone from this particular thread is interested? Drop me a pm.

Sharing here in case anyone has any interest. If you have the 2015/2017 Shield, this will work seamlessly as they have IR sensor.

If you have the 2019 model, you will need a USB flirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

or....if you get that remote....pair it to tv....set up hdmi-cec on both tv and shield....it should control both tv and 2019 shield

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

HDMI-CEC is the bane of my life half the time, tv av receiver and shield are superstars 99% of the time. When it stops, my god! The pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have Harmony Elite and Hub and tbh haven't bothered using it in about 18 months .

Probably should sell it and I noticed they were going for crazy money on Amazon for some reason.

• Advertisement

On the look out for a cheap basic shield unit if anybody notices one? Might just pick up a second hand one from Amazon. Had to start using my pro on the main TV so I'm stuck with using fire stick or TV android system on my TV for sports, etc. My god fire stick and android on the TV are so poor compared to Nvidia, just so unresponsive and crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The hardware on most other devices is underspeced or buried under the weight of ads for paid content.

my next door neighbour has a jvc tv with built in android tv.....my god, it is so slow its almost unusable.

they dont want spending money...but i am thinking maybe a chromecast with google tv...seems cheapest bang for buck....although i never tried one.

i had a mi box s....my son has it now...and that was / is great....very snappy........so i got my other son a newer mi stick....and its worst stick i have used so far...so slow....i was very surprised

anyway...back to shield....on my 2019 shield pro.....when i start netflix, before it gets to profile pics, it stutters a lot....after that netflix is perfect.

anyone else get that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've the older one. No don't get that.

That said I bought one of the better TVs, just to get around the speed issue on some TVs. Only noticed the speed difference on some amazon prime stuff like the rings of power which was noticeable better on the shield.

i fixed my above netflix issue by transferring netflix app to usb external storage ....starts up smooth and faster too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

Having an issue, its my 2nd time with the same issue. Basically the shield fails to connect to wifi or ethernet. Its the 2nd time its happened in 6 mths. Tried all various "solutions" recommended on line, reset router, turn off, turn back on shield, forget network, switch ipv6 on/off. Took off vpn cos i read that somehow interferes.

The only thing that worked was factory resettin the shield which is a pain in the hole. Then ye gotta go settin up your shield again reinstallin apps and tryin to find your sideloaded apps to put em back on.

Head is melted. In sayin that my shield isnt runnin latest software as i dont want the ads. Maybe that has somethin to do with it. But ive only updated the shield maybe 3 times since i bought it a few years ago. Its 2019 version

All is well in the world again, tried the change the time trick again, dunno how i did it wrong in the first place

• Advertisement

Problem is back and its daily i gotta do the time and date thing. Wish nvidia would sort it out

Advertisement