Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Can't see the steps you took, can you post them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

I have a 2017 shield and I have to turn location off and the app shows up pre installed. But when location is on it disappears.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any way to put the sky go app on the Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok have 2 shields and one PC and want to be able to move files around. Also have Samsung external drive attached to Asus router

So on shield went into settings and mount drive and PC, 2nd Shield and Asus comes up. Then it says how I wish to connect as registered user or as guest

Try guess and then it says connection failed and if registered asked for details

How can I connect as guest and be able to move files around

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi has anyone got all 4 working one shield tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I haven't but it casts from the phone to the Nvidia pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Used to work perfect, just tried it now and there seems to be issues. Have not used it in a while but it wont let me sign in. Have reinstalled the app but getting the same sign in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's ridiculous that apps like Now TV and All 4 are available on the firestick but not on the Shield even though they're both android. Do these apps have some kind of exclusivity deals or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Not having Now TV on the Shield is the only downside for me on the system. Have to switch to Firestick for Now TV and the difference between system is massive for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My old 2017 Shield remote gave up the ghost a few months ago.. and was eating through CR2032 batteries at some rate.

A well reviewed knock-off from Amazon was dire so was time to splurge on a new official one.

Stock of them has been patchy in past but Paradigit.ie have a new remote for €42 delivered. Pricey enough but really can't beat the official remote.

https://www.paradigit.ie/NVIDIA-SHIELD-TV-Remote/21072415/product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thanks. Mine gave up the ghost a while ago as well and I'm going slightly mad using just the mobile app. Time to splash the cash on a proper replacement.

No bother. Nothing compares with the original to be honest. Was shipped less than an hour after order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Mine is dead also, I have been using a Fire TV remote and it works well, voice doesn't work though.

I will have to order one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

How u usin fire tv remote? Didnt think they were compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Got a replacement for e19 on Amazon months ago works perfectly

It works fine, only thing that doesn't is voice, I don't need voice but feel like a loser without it :-(

Will do -sourced it on Amazon

We chip G20 for nvidia shield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Anyone using the Netflix app on their Shield? I rarely watch it, but my wife watches a good bit. Last night I noticed quite a bit of stuttering (very minor, but noticeable). If there was a panning shot, it was more apparent. I never noticed this before on Netflix, so just wondering if there's a setting on the Shield I need to change? I've cleared the cache on the Netflix app and rebooted the Shield, but it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Probably depends on the content you're watching. The Shield, all things being equal, outputs at 60Hz, and if it's the usual Netflix stuff, it's mostly 24fps etc.

There is a match frame rate toggle option, which you can actually assign to the quick options, but to be honest, it's extremely flaky, although TBH with regard to the streaming apps, Netflix is usually the more compatible with said toggle. Likes of Disney and Prime usually kick you back out to the main menu when you toggle it. It's always been a bit beta, and the constant streaming app updates tend to break it, which is probably why I find myself using the TV apps for episodes, especially Disney. It's a shame because the Shield handles frame rate switching fine, as evidenced by Plex and Kodi's frame rate switching, but this toggle option for the streaming apps leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course, you could set the Shield to output at 24Hz only but it's a pig to use on the dashboard/YouTube etc so not very practical. That's assuming it's not something on your TV end not handling motion well, but the way you describe minor stutter on panning shots suggests a poor frame rate pulldown with the Shield output.

Some info here

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/match-frame-rate/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Something I thought would never happen. I'm a Shield user since 2015, used to be fairly active on this thread waxing lyrical about how great they are! And they are, I still love mine, all 3 of them in fact are still giving excellent service.

But?

I have "retired" one. I picked up a Philips Ambilight android TV this week and my 2 most used apps, SIPTV & Kodi are running hassle free out in the Mancave and having the shield running too for no gain? Is a waste of electricity. For the 1st time since I've bought it, 1 of my shields is lying idle 😳

That said? Philips will probably stop supporting android TV or break one of the codecs within weeks of me deciding that I can cope without Nvidia 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

lol, same here. Gathering dust. For what I need, Firesticks are unbeatable.

Don't know lads - I have a LG OLED 65" TV with Netflix, Emby, RTE, YouTube, Amazon Prime etc.

But prefer the responsiveness of Shield everytime.

That's running LGs webOS isn't it? I have it on my 55" OLED and it's why I wouldn't be in a rush to swap out my shield in there. WebOS is generally slow I find particularly in app changes.

The Philips uses a mediatek SoC and it's nowhere near as powerful as the Tegra in terms of pure HP but, it does a great job of running my Kodi and all the players.

There is still plenty of life in the shield, even my 2015 one yet 😉 but sure aren't I being green and saving a quid or 3 on energy usage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭xlogo

The new Sony TV's run on Google TV.

Following on from my retiring my ManCave shield. I will probably list it for sale over on Adverts.

It's a 2015 model with the SD card slot. If anyone here is interested in buying drop me a PM.

It has a fairly new and lightly used power supply that Nvidia replaced for me last year. Would be Shield, HDMI and power supply only. The gamepad for it isn't working (but I'll supply that too incase the buyer needs one for parts) at say €60 delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

is that 60 for the shield ?

Yes, 2015 model but working perfectly and retired reluctantly.

I'm happy to include the gamepad with it, but it's not working. The Shield itself is fine but the gamepad won't hold a connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭fawlty towers

Can you please recommend a controller for the shield. Cannot see the original at a reasonable price

Advertisement