Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

Does anyone stream from their xbox using the xbox app? (not to be confused with.cloud gaming using xbox game pass app).

Lots of info on game pass, nothing out there on home network streaming via xbox app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Remote gone t*ts up

Using app on the phone and old minx remote not great

Any good decent remote, possibly with voice control

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

WeChip G20 remote will do the job,costs usually around €20 from Amazon.

Has voice control and iirc you can map some of the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Remote control( pad) don’t last only weak point connected to the shield

• Advertisement

I have my shield since late 2019 and no issues yet with the remote control.

I’ve mine 2 years earlier, remote dead 6 months

it’s a common prob google it

found A guy on you tube showing how to put a new battery in but it’s a fuse tbh

Never knew that about them ,I had the original shield until I got the Pro in 2019.No issues with either.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed it now.

Afaik it’s the game pad only not the slim remote- great bit of kit tbf the shield and never let us down

PS the second hand prices for tbe remotes are mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Every now and again my remote for the Shield 2019 won't work. The batteries are fine as I've tested them. If I unplug the Shield and plug it back in, it boots up and then suddenly the remote starts working again. Anyone else encountered this issue?

No but the latest update has been giving lots of people issues.

My usb 3.0 key I'm using as adopted storage gets ejected every time the Shield goes to sleep needs a reboot or unplug and replug to mount again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Do other people have issues using chrome cast on the shield? A lot of the time my shield will not so up as an option to cast to. Just for testing I can cast you tube perfect sometimes ( when the shield option is there to cast too) but I don’t think I’ve ever got anything else to work. Really want to cast Now TV from my iPhone to the shield as I’m sick of having to switch to the fire stick to watch Now TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Anyone started having issues with 4K/HDR content on the shield? Last month or so my 2019 Tube shield has been grinding to a halt when trying to play 4K HDR content from a few different apps - worst affected is Disney+, but have witnessed it in Netflix and Prime too. The video starts dropping framerate, audio gets out of sync and becomes unwatchable - it isn't a network issue (even though I'm only using wifi) as the whole application becomes unresponsive, can't pause or exit the stream etc. and eventually the app will crash. The shield homescreen can be laggy after this happens too. Streaming the same content from my TV's native apps is perfect. non-4k stuff is fine too.

Does anyone know a way to see current memory(RAM) or CPU usage of the shield in real time? The big selling point of the shield was it always having more than enough grunt for a streaming device, so disappointing to be having these issues. really want to avoid a factory reset.

It could still be network, see if you have the same trouble on Ethernet

Might be wrong but I play Disney + straight from our Samsung 4K rather than through the shield

gas to be better

Has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Now TV casts flawless for me from Oneplus 7 Pro android to Nvidia Shield TV

Cant get it to cast at all from Iphone of Samsung Phone. Fopr testing purposes I can cast Youtube so the function is working but if I try to cast Netflix, Now or Prime it wont work I just get an add on the screen for a show for the relevent service. I must be doing something wrong. Thats the only fault I can say about the Shield is that there is no Now TV app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

A VPN causes issues are you sure you have no VPN running in the background

• Advertisement

I'm having issues with my Shield starting up! Not sure if it's anything to do with the latest updates. SOmetimes I find I can't turn on the device with the remote. I have to unplug the Shield and plug it back in and then I can use the remote.

Also, twice this week I noticed the Shield light was on, but when nothing was coming in through the TV. HDMI is fine, but it says no connection. Again, I had to unplug the SHield again to get it working. I'm hoping I don't have to do a reset!

VPN is off alright. Maybe its my network but its strange that You Tube casts and nothing else.

I have to physically unplug mine at times as it sometimes doesn’t kick in

its old (2017) but really still decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

NowTV has been a little flakey casting since the Shield TV update for me. I was trying to watch something the other day and I had to try is a few times and kill the app...

Coming from OnePlus 7 Pro also.

I’ve similar problems for at keast6 month’s

have to physically disconnect the power lead from the shield

then reconnect and it’s flying until it happens again

think it’s just old ——// like me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I turned off my Shield a couple of months ago, it was glitching on almost everything, I've moved onto a Google TV and won't be going back.

Has anyone tried factory resetting the Shield? I'm also having random glitches and apps not working. Have to unplug it at least twice a week. I'm trying to avoid wiping it if I can, but only at a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH......I've never really had any major issues with either a 2017 or a 2019 model in use around the house.

Last thing off the top of my head, is an unresponsive remote on a very, very rare occasion, which works just fine next time it wakes up. Bounce back and forth between the Nvidia remote and TV which could explain it somewhat. Another idiosyncrasy is the rare occasion the 2019 model wakes up with Netflix launched, another time its Apple TV almost like someone has quick pressed the shortcut etc.......guess it could be anything that causes that, but I'm honestly starting to believe it's intentional ! Advertising for the streamers or something 😄

Generally keep things simple with them. Plex (don't run a server on them, keep that NAS-centric), and the streaming apps accounts for 99% of use, but fairly robust performance so never really cause to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Weird thing with my shield (tube), I can't disconnect from VPN unlimited. Connects fine, but when I try to disconnect the app won't open just gets stuck in a loading cycle without ever loading. Also my (unofficial) streaming apps and YouTube don't work with my VPN. I get no links at all with my apps, and YouTube just won't load. Very strange.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I've a 2017 version Shield running nice and smooth on V 9.0 as I've declined to update to V 9.0.1 thus far having experienced problems with previous updates over the last 4-5 years but I know I can't keep declining to update without some consequences occurring such as apps requiring 9.0.1 to function or be updated themselves plus my security patch is now nearly a year old being the April 5th 2021 patch.

Time to bite the bullet and update to 9.0.1 or leave well alone for another few months? If time to update is there anything I should do in advance to mitigate any of the potential glitches people are experiencing with 9.0.1?

Advertisement