Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephens Day - Plans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The pubs close v early in Dublin is it true it’s not the same elsewhere in Ireland?

Apparently it’s a union thing in Dublin. Down the country it’s probably one of the biggest nights of the year. Pubs and nightclubs packed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I feel sorry for retail staff.

Some of the shops in Dundrum Town Centre are open at 8am. They are probably preparing the stock from 6am.

Watching films and keeping track of the football scores.

Apparently it’s a union thing in Dublin. Down the country it’s probably one of the biggest nights of the year. Pubs and nightclubs packed out.

I didn’t realise pubs closed early in Dublin on Stephens night. It's always mental down the country! Last year I lasted about ten minutes in a nightclub. Complete mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Specialun wrote: »
    Pub and bookies..a great day out

Any idea what time bookies open tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Having the in laws up for dinner.

They aren't too bad but they are complete social retards so where most normal people would head home after 3 or 4 hours they generally don't go anywhere for at least 6, more if you keep feeding them.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Correcting southerners on the correct pronunciation of Boxing Day.

St. Stephens Day.

Do I get a prize, like a sod of turf or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sofa, Netflix, reading, more wine. A good long walk.

The sales & shops can feck right off. I actually think it’s terrible that they’re open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The pubs close v early in Dublin is it true it’s not the same elsewhere in Ireland?

It is probably one of the busiest nights of the year in most towns I know followed by a trip to the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Traditional muddy walk.
    But gosh, it looks like that may be very muddy in-DEED, forecast is for really wet weather.
    So, may review this classic plan in favour of movies and the sofa. With Christmas cake :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Throwing money at the Bookmakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I didn’t realise pubs closed early in Dublin on Stephens night. It's always mental down the country! Last year I lasted about ten minutes in a nightclub. Complete mayhem.

Ah for fecks sake, thats what I am used to, boxing day is the biggest day of the year at home. wtf are they at closing at 7???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Study, visit family and I might go out for one or two but come home before the annual brawl on the street of my local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

dudara wrote: »
    Sofa, Netflix, reading, more wine. A good long walk.

The sales & shops can feck right off. I actually think it’s terrible that they’re open tomorrow.

And shoving it down our throats with the ads since christmas eve...feck off already

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stephens Day, it's pronunciation is Stephens Day. :)

Who is Stephen and why does he get a day named after him?

Personally i have a wren to hunt. Maybe even two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

retalivity wrote: »
    Ah for fecks sake, thats what I am used to, boxing day is the biggest day of the year at home. wtf are they at closing at 7???

Some of the pubs in Swords and Malahide open about twelve and close at seven while others open later and stay open till normal closing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cycle in the morning, bookies in the afternoon, pub for liverpool game in the evening, and because i only drink alcohol about 3 times a year, i'll be home in bed by 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

normal week for me so I'm in work but I'm well paid plus I'll be doing feck all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

munster87 wrote: »
    Any idea what time bookies open tomorrow?
    10:00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

All the pubs around the part of the Northside I live in close around 6 or 7. A few places probably popular with young people in town etc tend to open up normal hours but many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Work. Same as today. My days start on wednesday:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Trying to convince the wife to go out in her town so I can stay in with the kids.

The waft of Guinness and ham/turkey farts in the tiny pub is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭seenitall

Hitting a particular shop for a particular pair of trainers I've had my eye on for a while.

I only do sales in a targeted manner, and that's why I love them! :D

Happy Christmas, everyone! :)

Out on the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I've pre ordered all I want in the sales, will be in like Flynn, then home, back working Thursday, thank goodness some retailers close for 3 days!

Then cleaning and bad movies if I can get the remote!

I've had my eye on a couple of sweatshirts in next, but they've taken them offline! So much for that! Same in UK! It makes me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

To my parents for dinner, drinks, watching sport and the the annual family darts comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm staying in my pyjamas and reading and stuffing my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Love the way that it’s terrible that the shops are open tomorrow and people would rather fry there head in lard than go to the sales. However going to the bookies where presumably there will also be staff is seen as perfectly fine with no contradiction....only in Ireland. Each to their own I guess but I’d rather fry my head in lard than do any of either shopping or pub/bookies tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Where I work it's 24/7/365 so someone there the whole time, I was just lucky to avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

anna080 wrote: »
    There is a nightclub near me open at 00:01 tonight. Disgraceful. Hope it ends up bombing but I'd say there'll be plenty there.

Tomorrow I spend lounging in my finest Penneys pajamas. Might go for a few quiet drinks in town and hopefully get a seat somewhere before the madness begins.

Name, out of interest?

I have heard about this on Good Friday but never Christmas

Advertisement