Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car deliberately ploughs through pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In 2016 alone there were over 340 arrests for Islamic terrorism offences in the U.K. alone. Or am I morning the goalposts on you again because you are only counting the lads that actually slipped through the net and actually killed people.

How many were convicted? And what crimes were they convicted of?

There is no doubt that the perpetrators represent only a fraction of those who would support terrorism, including active and tacit support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

How many were convicted? And what crimes were they convicted of?

There is no doubt that the perpetrators represent only a fraction of those who would support terrorism, including active and tacit support.

There were multiple stories about family members and local community turning in suspected terrorists to the police. If I recall, one of the Manchester bombers was reported to police by family a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There were multiple stories about family members and local community turning in suspected terrorists to the police. If I recall, one of the Manchester bombers was reported to police by family a few times.

That's right. Friends, family and the local mosque reported him. It's important to drill down into these things.

We have our own recent example of broad brush stroke blaming. Internment was a prime example of what happens a cohort of people is demonised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That's right. Friends, family and the local mosque reported him. It's important to drill down into these things.

We have our own recent example of broad brush stroke blaming. Internment was a prime example of what happens a cohort of people is demonised.

It's how it's always done. Spread fear and hate about a certain group, garner support for internment, first plow them into ghettos and "holiday camps" would be the next step.
    It looks like we're still in phase 1 on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JiminyRickets

It's how it's always done. Spread fear and hate about a certain group, garner support for internment, first plow them into ghettos and "holiday camps" would be the next step.
    It looks like we're still in phase 1 on this.

In all seriousness, would this problem exist if there wasn't a very sizeable amount of Muslim (or whatever immigrant) population rising within other European countries? (Colonisation is worse than colonialism by a very long shot......could be talking about anyone and any countries here, not just muslims)

There'd be nothing to talk about. Same way that Saudi Arabia doesn't have ongoing, terribly divisive discussions about the European catholics in their country.

They aren't there, there isn't a problem. Reductionist thinking, but that's what it always comes down in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think the thread is being dragged way offline in a way to get the thread shutdown again by those on the left!
    I don’t buy the mental health angle that’s being put out about the terrorist! He was justifying his actions by going on about the treatment of Muslims and shouting about Allah!
    https://twitter.com/7newsmelbourne/status/944101915746373632

Nuance is very difficult to express on a forum such at this.

Black people Muslims Jewish people people living in council housing are all people that have been on the hate redar.

Greedy Jew bankers

Ferial social housing kids

Gang banger Blacks

Terrorist Muslims

I hate Terrorists Gang bangers ferial kids and Greedy bankers.
    Let us target the scum without mercy their race religion or backround should make no difference.
    I belong to one of the backgrounds above and I am not scum.
    Target wrongdoing without mercy and never make excuses for anybody and maybe me can all get along.

That's a nice sentiment, but it will never happen. It requires people to be blind and to make no associations in logic.

Association, or differentiation, is the lifeblood of our survival instincts. You may have never been bitten by a snake, but from the associated knowledge you have gathered through your life, you will treat all snakes as dangerous just in case (I hope!).

The longer we tread this path of failed idealism, the sharper the sting when reality comes home. You may as well be saying "hey guys, have we tried not being human?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

That's a nice sentiment, but it will never happen. It requires people to be blind and to make no associations in logic.

Association, or differentiation, is the lifeblood of our survival instincts. You may have never been bitten by a snake, but from the associated knowledge you have gathered through your life, you will treat all snakes as dangerous just in case (I hope!).

The longer we tread this path of failed idealism, the sharper the sting when reality comes home. You may as well be saying "hey guys, have we tried not being human?"

In Israel suicide bombers homes are demolished and their families kicked into the street.
    This targets the wrongdoer and their loved ones.

Seems pretty fair to me.

In Israel suicide bombers homes are demolished and their families kicked into the street.

This targets the wrongdoer and their loved ones.

But is it not logical that the bomber would have had a large influence on the people in the house? Or maybe vice versa, that he was talked into it by others in the house?

Forgetting about whether I see it as right or wrong, the Israelis doing that makes sense. Brutal, but sensible.

Overall, let that region kill themselves or love themselves or whatever. Its none of our business.

But is it not logical that the bomber would have had a large influence on the people in the house? Or maybe vice versa, that he was talked into it by others in the house?

Forgetting about whether I see it as right or wrong, the Israelis doing that makes sense. Brutal, but sensible.

Overall, let that region kill themselves or love themselves or whatever. Its none of our business.

I think people just need to accept there are evil people in this world and there are no nice ways to deal with them.

We do not need to be sexist racist or xenophobic the percentage breakdown of which group has the most wrongdoers should not matter.

Evil people should be treated and disposed off without mercy.
    If you target innocent people along the way you can count yourself evil also.

Life is not easy and anybody who ever said it was can only be described as morons.

• Advertisement

I think people just need to accept there are evil people in this world and there are no nice ways to deal with them.

We do not need to be sexist racist or xenophobic the percentage breakdown of which group has the most wrongdoers should not matter.

Evil people should be treated and disposed off without mercy.
    If you target innocent people along the way you can count yourself evil also.

Life is not easy and anybody who ever said it was can only be described as morons.

Well to be fair, merely reacting to people that do something wrong is treating symptoms, not causes. It would be easy to assume it was so simple.

There is a reason that the middle east shows zero signs of improving, that terrorism based on muslim idealogy shows zero signs of going away, that Africa is still a development hell-hole, that people are still starving across the world, that inter-country "temperatures" are steadily increasing and on and on......nobody is allowed to do anything about it because of idealistic attitudes.

Idealism has solved nothing. Absolutely, positively nothing. It is this refusal to face reality that keeps upping the penalty to be paid for ignorance. Its irony brought to an extreme.

Its the inverse of human nature. And human nature will come roaring back with a bang. There is no balance anymore.

Idealism has solved nothing. Absolutely, positively nothing. It is this refusal to face reality that keeps upping the penalty to be paid for ignorance. Its irony brought to an extreme.

Its the inverse of human nature. And human nature will come roaring back with a bang. There is no balance anymore.

Human nature won't come roaring back via posts on message boards.
    Most people from any race religion or ideology seem more fixated and getting the next i phone.

Human nature won't come roaring back via posts on message boards.
    Most people from any race religion or ideology seem more fixated and getting the next i phone.

Of course it wont, but its the kind of thing where I'll feel a bit superior for pointing out the "told you so" moment when it comes around. Not to anyone in particular, just me (human nature!)

Like when Pakistan and india go to town with nuclear weapons, genuine, large scale race riots happen in America or Europe, when there is a mass immigration to Europe/north america due to global warming, severe epidemic disease arising from china/india due to overpopulation...........all things that are as clear as day, you can see them from a million miles off.

But what are we doing about it? Nothing. And I put most of the blame of that inaction on idealism and political correctness.

People wont be so concerned about the latest phone when these things come around. And I'd put money on it kicking off within this lifetime.

Personally, I'd be happy to hit the reset button on global society. Better now than later, when the stakes aren't as high.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i noticed today Grafton street seems to have its own barriers of peace.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

silverharp wrote: »
    i noticed today Grafton street seems to have its own barriers of peace.
    I presume they’re only there because of the mental health crisis in this country?

I presume they’re only there because of the mental health crisis in this country?

not sure,when you read the headlines they normally blame the truck or vehicle first. Maybe getting ahead of the curve with self driving vehicles? though would be unusual for Dublin Corporation

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In fairness, Ireland has never suffered an Islamic terrorist attack. Yet. Its good to see that the authorities are not adopting the learned helplessness of some contributors. There is no reason not to take reasonable measures to protect an obvious and vulnerable target.

This is unfortunately the Ireland that is being handed down to us.

Sand wrote: »
    In fairness, Ireland has never suffered an Islamic terrorist attack. Yet. Its good to see that the authorities are not adopting the learned helplessness of some contributors. There is no reason not to take reasonable measures to protect an obvious and vulnerable target.

Yeah but it’s a waste of money because we only have a tiny portion of the 1.5 billion. Why should anyone be worried?
    They would be better off putting that money towards epi pen booths along the street for the much greater threat of peanut allergies.

Sand wrote: »

token unfortunately, the only blessing is that Dublin was never pedestrian friendly so their are feck all pedestrian areas in dublin city. :D still I could think of a dozen other areas where you could create havoc with a stolen bus or a hertz rent a van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah ah repeat after me,
    ISLAM IS NOT A RACE.
    It is a belief system and idealogy.

Hi jmayo, why did you quote me in relation to the above part of your post? I made no comment on racism at all. I also said in one of my posts on this thread that I would initially consider religious extremism as one potential explanation for the incident in Melbourne. I’m measured in my thought process when an incident like that occurs. I try to consider all angles.

I did not mention racism at all. Please don’t misrepresent my posts and if you are going to quote me, at least take the time to read them properly. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it’s a waste of money because we only have a tiny portion of the 1.5 billion. Why should anyone be worried?
    They would be better off putting that money towards epi pen booths along the street for the much greater threat of peanut allergies.

I'm curious as to what your actual goal is in this thread. Are you trying to get across a message or suggest some solution or something? D o you disagree with bollards on pedestrian areas?

I'm curious as to what your actual goal is in this thread. Are you trying to get across a message or suggest some solution or something? D o you disagree with bollards on pedestrian areas?

I just like to point out silliness with more silliness. Does it annoy you? Hearing about moderate lions and epi pen booths? Because I’m just trying to show how it feels from the other side when people mention regular road traffic statistics and other everyday deathly hazards.

I just like to point out silliness with more silliness. Does it annoy you? Hearing about moderate lions and epi pen booths? Because I’m just trying to show how it feels from the other side when people mention regular road traffic statistics and other everyday deathly hazards.

Ah so you're just trolling people on a thread about a tragedy. I understand now. Thanks for clearing it up. Would it surprise you to hear that Ireland has been the victim of this kind of tragedy before? By an African asylum seeker no less. You might be too young to remember. It was about fifteen years ago. Just after 911 if I recall correctly.

Ah so you're just trolling people on a thread about a tragedy. I understand now. Thanks for clearing it up. Would it surprise you to hear that Ireland has been the victim of this kind of tragedy before? By an African asylum seeker no less. You might be too young to remember. It was about fifteen years ago. Just after 911 if I recall correctly.

Nope, not trolling. It’s called being facetious.

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

of the 19 victims of not terrorism
    one is a 25 yr old irish girl,
    3 remain in critical condition,
    not terrorism

Advertisement