Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car deliberately ploughs through pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

baylah17 wrote: »
    Are Muslims good actors? I mean do they do well at the Oscars etc?

Mahershala Ali did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Are Muslims good actors? I mean do they do well at the Oscars etc?

Ibrahim Halawa played a blinder anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Ibrahim Halawa played a blinder anyway.

Shame he's Egyptian, he'd be a shoe in for the IFTAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Shame he's Egyptian, he'd be a shoe in for the IFTAs.

Actually he is Irish, born and raised in Dublin, so hes still in with a chance.

Actually he is Irish, born and raised in Dublin, so hes still in with a chance.

Aye, when it suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A ferry carrying 251 people has capsized in stormy seas off the east coast of the Philippines, the coastguard says.

A spokesman said a number of casualties had been reported. Huge waves are said to have caused the boat to overturn.

But hey...it's the Philippines.

You're always free to make a thread about the philippine boat capsize you know.
    If you actually cared about it you probably would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

For guys with such palpable for the victims of an atrocity you're spending a lot of time talking about some buck on the other side of the world that had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Another on the " Poor Mental Health" list

had no mental issues driving vehicle into a crowd though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's very tiring when a thread like this pops up and someone who for lack of a better phrase/word, is attention seeking, tries to show how none of us care by portraying that no thread on another disaster exists.
    2 completely separate incidents but if you don't like that such a thread exists then don't post.
    Not happy no thread exists for the countless other disasters that happen on a daily basis? Create a ****ing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Another on the " Poor Mental Health" list

had no mental issues driving vehicle into a crowd though

...and a drug addict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Aye, when it suits him.

No, he was born in Dublin, so like he was always born in Dublin, so like Dublin has never been in Eygpt, so he is a Dubliner, from Dublin Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No, he was born in Dublin, so like he was always born in Dublin, so like Dublin has never been in Eygpt, so he is a Dubliner, from Dublin Ireland.

I like the part where you said Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I noticed yesterday on Henry st in Dublin there is two very big iron tree boxes near the entrance.
    I would think it's a 'just in case' plan but good to see council planning ahead in case someone does try to ram down Henry st (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

What are you getting at? Your news has a higher human injury count, so it trumps the Australia attack? This is a deliberate attack and that was an accident from what I can see. Get over yourself.

Saudi attacks have killed 11 Yemeni civilians:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/saudi-led-coalition-air-strikes-kill-11-yemen-civilians-171220180017168.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's not a white Australian so can't have mental health issues.
    The alleged driver of the car is a 32-year-old man of Afghan descent who was arrested at the scene by an off-duty police officer.

The man is known to police but there is no evidence or intelligence connecting either him or this incident to terrorism or extremism.

Police say he does have a history of drug use and mental health issues and police believe those issues are behind the incident.

Another man, 24-years-old, was arrested a short time after the incident. He was filming it on his mobile phone and was searched by police, who allegedly found knives in his bag. Police do not believe he knows the 32-year-old man or is connected in any way.

Nineteen people were injured and taken to hospital for treatment, including the alleged driver and the arresting off-duty officer.

Four people are critically injured while 15 are in a stable condition.

Police say this was a “quarantined” incident and does not increase the risk at major upcoming events like the Boxing Day test.

Mental Health is a excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I forgot you're an expert on people with mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

That's hardly what the statement says, they're determining a motivating factor. If it was a political act, that wouldn't make it an excuse either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's not fair to the millions of people who deal with mental health issues to use this as an excuse,
    Only the most severe of cases could ever be blamed for playing any part in something like this.
    No, these are just morons, blinded by religious ideology driven by America, and other countries foreign policies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Chrongen wrote: »

That's sad but this is a thread about the Australian car attack by a mentally ill chap, not an unrelated war. Go and fuck off to another thread.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I forgot you're an expert on people with mental health issues.

best you can do?

sad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I noticed yesterday on Henry st in Dublin there is two very big iron tree boxes near the entrance.
    I would think it's a 'just in case' plan but good to see council planning ahead in case someone does try to ram down Henry st (again).

Has this happened before on Henry Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes in 2001,failed nigerian asylum seeker, 10 injured
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pedestrians-mowed-down-on-street-1.332889

in 2002 or 01 ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That's sad but this is a thread about the Australian car attack by a mentally ill chap, not an unrelated war. Go and fuck off to another thread.

No-one bothered to start another thread. If only. You should mind your language too.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    No-one bothered to start another thread. If only. You should mind your language too.

Please feel free to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's not fair to the millions of people who deal with mental health issues to use this as an excuse,
    Only the most severe of cases could ever be blamed for playing any part in something like this.
    No, these are just morons, blinded by religious ideology driven by America, and other countries foreign policies

You are right, they are throwing mental health people under the bus in an effort to take the focus of Islamic extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

backspin. wrote: »
    You are right, they are throwing mental health people under the bus in an effort to take the focus of Islamic extremism.

Instead of waiting for further investigation into the case. You're leaping to a conclusion that suits your views. As a person who deals with mental illness, I don't feel like I've been thrown under any bus. This will have zero impact upon my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

RobertKK wrote: »
    None of us will ever understand the mindset of a person or people who do this.

I'm going to wait until more details are released. I don't want to make any unfounded conclusions on the motivation for this attack.

However, your statement is a cop out. If this was driven by ideology, we can understand the mindset of the person carrying out the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Instead of waiting for further investigation into the case. You're leaping to a conclusion that suits your views. As a person who deals with mental illness, I don't feel like I've been thrown under any bus. This will have zero impact upon my life.

We have seen it used as the reason far too often when an attack happens. They talk of the mental health issues of the attacker. Quite often ignoring the role islamic extremism has on the attacks.

As i write this sean o rourke read out the headlines on RTE Radio and mentioned a man with a history of mental illness drove into a crowd of people. My point made exactly.

Advertisement