Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai confirm organised begging

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

This has been going on for years. There is a run-down building on the North Circular Road over by the junction with Dorset Street where an army of Roma Gypsy women and children stream out of early each morning with backpacks, sleeping bags and crutches to take their positions throughout the city for begging. The men tend to sit around the courtyard for the day drinking and shouting at each other, and taking in collections as they come in throughout the day.

It's ridiculously organized. A Garda friend of mine has told me that most of them won't even deal with the Roma anymore as any time any of them get into trouble with the law they are sent straight back to Romania before a court appearance is even approached - they are all well-trained. They are then replaced with three more. It's quite an operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    The begging in Galway is on an industrial scale

That can only happen if there is money going in the cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Yes, but one reality does not nullify or lessen the another - which is what I think the OP is implying.

There's are criminal gangs who beg, and pretend to be homeless.

There are homeless people.

Both statements can be true at the same time.

Yes, most definitely, e.g. when I said it in the OP i.e.
    no doubt there are people sleeping on the streets who can be genuinely classified as homeless

Maybe a bit of deflection going on with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Yes, but one reality does not nullify or lessen the another - which is what I think the OP is implying.

There's are criminal gangs who beg, and pretend to be homeless.

There are homeless people.

Both statements can be true at the same time.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, most definitely, e.g. when I said it in the OP i.e.

Maybe a bit of deflection going on with your post.

"We are inundated on a daily basis of television footage and pictures of people sleeping in doorways and tents and no doubt there are people sleeping on the streets who can be genuinely classified as homeless, but when you read the quote below from the Examiner it is fair to ask if the problem is exaggerated:" from Original post.

Maybe a bit of deflection going on with your post? ;)

Advertisement