Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean 8 (2018)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

An amazingly sh!te film, with some of the laziest, nonsensical plotting I've seen in quite a while.

Example: What the fook was that
    magnetic necklace device opener put in the film for?? Only for the conumdrum to be solved literally in the following scene.
    :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I enjoyed it for what it was: light-hearted heist film. Some great actors under-used but also some nice throwbacks to the 00s editions. I was not bored once.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ocean's Eleven (2001) isn't a great film, but it is a uncommonly fun and slick one - a star-studded cast, a ludicrous heist, Soderbergh's giddily non-chalant direction, David Holmes' intoxicating score all coming together to make it better than it had any right to be.

Ocean's 8 has the star-studded cast and the ludicrous heist, but forgets the rest. It's about what you'd expect (actually probably a notch worse), and not for a second anything more. The cast don’t really get any opportunity to properly shine - only Hathaway seems to have been given the space to have some fun, the other characters pretty much just functional players in the heist with some thin backstory.

What was up with some of the transition effects? Some of the edits (whirling screens and the like) looked Windows Movie Maker bad. Bizarre.

I kind of wanted to see this, not in the cinema mind but as some lazy Sunday afternoon amazon rental but the reaction from the cast to the reviews calling it average has put me right off. In the past week, we have seen two films receive less than stellar reviews and then watched as those involved in the films launched an attack on critics.

The makers of Gotti have started a Twitter campaign calling critics trolls and advising people to ignore the awful reviews as cinema goers supposedly love the film though it does appear that many of the glowing reviews appear to have been added by the studio. With Ocean's 8 we have the female cast telling us all that critics are hateful white men and have some agenda to oppress strong female-led films though I notice that when the same critics were heaping praise on the actresses past work, they had no issue with the same white men. Don't get me wrong, more diversity is always a good thing but it's funny that they have no issue with a middle-aged white man writing and directing the film that they claim women would understand and love but white male critics simply cannot appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought it was pretty poor. Very little humour - some at the end that fell flat for me, but some cinema goers enjoyed (maybe they took any glimmer of hope, but obviously just not for me or the GF), no tension - as said above,
    a conundrum can be solved within moments
    , no action, and a twee Oirish accent for the bones of two hours. Didn't connect with or really care for any of the characters.

And the fact that it is almost two hours long with some definite room for trimming.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen it today and really enjoyed it. It is certainly not a ****e film far from it. Maybe it is not for everyone but it is a very good film with a good plot. Not really much of a story do but there is some back stories in it. I enjoyed it up until maybe the last 30 minutes when it had a bit of a lul but then got better again and it all made sense in the end.
    There was some parts where I thought''why did they not just do that'' but you get to see why after and then a right.
    Yes maybe some parts of it are a bit silly and certain people might not do what they do in it but its a film.
    I like the way it ended and think there could possibly be a sequel if it does well enough.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I thought it was very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

branie2 wrote: »
    I thought it was very funny

Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it last night and it was distinctly "meh".

It wasn't particularly funny or witty, the heist was pedestrian with no clever twists or "ah ha!" moments and the last scene was set up perfectly for a
    Clooney cameo
    but they couldn't even give that little payoff at the end.

A wasted opportunity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, saw it the other day myself and that reflects my own POV; it was perfectly mediocre entertainment, but it was borderline unforgivable that the actual heist itself had no tension, red herrings, twists or anything remotely thrilling. I sat there a little stupefied, thinking "wait, was that it??" once the robbery played out. It's like the writers hadn't ever actually watched a heist film before.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh and James Corden's character was pointless. Like he'd
    just give up after getting a piece of the necklace and be happy with that
    ?

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw it last night and it was distinctly "meh".

It wasn't particularly funny or witty, the heist was pedestrian with no clever twists or "ah ha!" moments and the last scene was set up perfectly for a
    Clooney cameo
    but they couldn't even give that little payoff at the end.

A wasted opportunity.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, saw it the other day myself and that reflects my own POV; it was perfectly mediocre entertainment, but it was borderline unforgivable that the actual heist itself had no tension, red herrings, twists or anything remotely thrilling. I sat there a little stupefied, thinking "wait, was that it??" once the robbery played out. It's like the writers hadn't ever actually watched a heist film before.

Hard to take those reviews seriously as no doubt both of you are white males who no doubt have an agenda to take down this wonderful piece of cinema. Only women and people of colour or a minority can review the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hard to take those reviews seriously as no doubt both of you are white males who no doubt have an agenda to take down this wonderful piece of cinema. Only women and people of colour or a minority can review the film.

Ack here. I've seen some tangential backlash from those involved with Ocean's 8 insinuating sexism, but has seemed a bit of a flash in the pan, pretty half-hearted, so let's not go there. Ghostbusters 2016 & Last Jedi has provided more than enough bullsh*t to go around :)
    Mr E wrote: »
    Oh and James Corden's character was pointless. Like he'd
    just give up after getting a piece of the necklace and be happy with that
    ?

The whole thing was a bit shoddy and limp, just scraping by on charisma and not much else. It was obvious the writers & director were desperately trying to crib Steven Soderbergh's swaggering style from the original Oceans films, but without the talent or understanding of what made them work.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ack here. I've seen some tangential backlash from those involved with Ocean's 8 insinuating sexism, but has seemed a bit of a flash in the pan, pretty half-hearted

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

White dudes can review these things too as long as they are sufficiently woke. :P

White dudes can review these things too as long as they are sufficiently woke. :P

I'm unable to keep up with who can and can't review something, I was recently told on letterboxed that "as a cis man I should not be watching LGBT cinema as it WAS NOT MADE FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU" I asked them what they meant by people like you, the reply "straight white men."

Ended up seeing this at the weekend and it is perhaps the most formulaic and cliched nothing film released in years. It's less a film than it is scenes from a dozen past heist based films only without the tension, smarts, humour or fun of those films. It's a film in which a bump in the road is discovered,
    the magnetic necklace opener
    and instead of mining it for some suspense it's solved within 2 minutes and is never mentioned again. It's a perfect example of just how the film fails, as bad as the previous films were at least they strived to create some dramatic tension but Ocean's 8 is happy to try and coast along on the charm of its cast.

The heist itself is a damp squib, it has the cinematic impact of a wet tea bag sliding down the back of the sink. It exists for no discernable reason other than to make some cheap cash during a quiet summer release period. It's the cinematic equivalent of not great Mexican food, sure it tastes grand at the time but a couple days later you'd be hard-pressed to recall any part of the experience.

Ocean's 8 can't even coast along on the casts charms, no one here really shines with most playing stock characters and being underserved by a lacklustre script that only comes alive for a couple of moments when Elliot Gould pops up. It's a shame that so much of Ocean's 8 is just rote box-ticking but the whole thing feels like a heist film written by someone who has never seen a heist film before and thinks that edits straight our of the Ned Flanders dating video is cutting edge and swanky. Yes, not only is Ocean's 8 a badly written, underdeveloped cinematic misfire but it is edited like some home video relic shot on VHS in the early 90s and edited on Windows 95 movie maker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw this today. It killed a couple of hours. I wasn't expecting 'Citizen Kane'. Enjoyable enough. Quite liked the turn by Awkwafina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Darko has pretty much summed it up for me above. Possibly the worst film I've seen so far this year (I say this as someone who watches things like Sharknado), so utterly uninspired, lazy and tacky without even the faintest glimmer of genuine suspense, drama or tension required for such a movie to work.

Nothing whatsoever in this film stands out - although arguably the horrible, lazy writing does, for the entirely wrong reasons - and the characters are all utterly forgettable to boot, possibly the only half decent stand-out was actually James Corden, who manages to inject a tiny bit of life into his brief (albeit pointless) scenes.

For me contender for worst movie of the year, I've ever seen any of the other Ocean films but this has killed any interest stone dead. Total garbage from start to finish.

Advertisement