Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean 8 (2018)

Options
  • 26-08-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭

When I read this first I thought it was an Aprils fool but alas it seems to be true.
    Warner Bros is moving forward with its all-female spinoff of Ocean's Eleven, this time dubbed Ocean's Ocho, and has filled seven of the eight titular spots.
    Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett — both of whom have been long rumored to star in the movie — will head up the cast of the Gary Ross-helmed heist film that is scheduled to begin production in October in New York.
    Like the Ocean's Eleven films, the rest of the ensemble is stacked with major stars, including Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter. Mindy Kaling also is joining the cast, with music stars Rihanna (Battleship) and Awkwafina (Neighbors 2) rounding out the group.

Dear God ,first Ghostbusters now this ,is there no originality left .:mad:

So when does the all-male Charlie's Angels begin production ?
    I wonder what an all female cast version of The Usual Suspects would be like...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That title................

CXGjrGJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Thats-A-Bold-Strategy-Meme.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

After the "she looks like Julia Roberts" scene in the original trilogy they can't possibly make them any worse.

Also, le't hope they learn their lesson from Don Cheadle's "awright guvna" shít accented character too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Holding the 8th spot open for Melissa McCarthy no doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dear God ,first Ghostbusters now this ,is there no originality left .:mad:

So we're talking about a franchise which has itself already spawned a remake and one of the most cynical, joyless and self-aggrandising sequels in the history of contemporary cinema, plus a second sequel which is to all extents and purposes basically just a minor variation on the first (fun, but familiar) - but this is where the line is drawn? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So we're talking about a franchise which has itself already spawned a remake and one of the most cynical, joyless and self-aggrandising sequels in the history of contemporary cinema, plus a second sequel which is to all extents and purposes basically just a minor variation on the first (fun, but familiar) - but this is where the line is drawn? :pac:

Frank Sinatra must be rolling in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Wouldn't be overly enthusiastic about the rest of that cast but Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett could be pretty good. Always impressed with Bullock's comedy roles, and the Ocean's films always have a fair amount of that.

Blanchett obviously is just great.

Is Soderbergh involved at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Some of the actresses here are great, but why Rihanna? Has she had any great roles that I'm not aware of?

Also why not just make a new franchise? I've only seen Eleven but as far as I know the Ocean's movies are just pretty generic, fun heist movies, there's nothing specific to the property that another fun heist movie couldn't have. The only reason they're using the name is for marketing purposes, not a fan of that.

Still, I hope it's a good movie and not just more gender-swap pandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Some of the actresses here are great, but why Rihanna? Has she had any great roles that I'm not aware of?

battleship
    Also why not just make a new franchise? I've only seen Eleven but as far as I know the Ocean's movies are just pretty generic, fun heist movies, there's nothing specific to the property that another fun heist movie couldn't have. The only reason they're using the name is for marketing purposes, not a fan of that.

The Ocean's movies are fun heist movies built around the premise of having top billed movie star cast being a close nit group of friends (both on and off the screen). The original rode off the rat pack fame of the time

and the remake essentially paid for it by pairing George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon etc together. Its also why something like 30% of each film is Clooney, Pitt and Damon being chummy with each other in some form (or in the case of 12, 80% of the film)

The ocean's crew being a group of really famous people you could believe being close friends like this is part of the franchise identity.

Which is where this one pops in.

They cant do another direct Ocean's movie simply cause it costs too much to bring back the original leads for a full movie. As far as I understand it the first film went through a nightmare convincing the cast that we got to work for lower wages on the first film and the sequels came with a laundry list of requirements to keep them and a contract just for 2 films.

And the core cast since then has just grown in value since then so to do an oceans 14 movie they'd probably end up tripling their budget to guarantee the cast and wont be able to pull in as much money (13 pulled in noticeable less then the prior 2).

They cant recast it because Clooney etc are still too big and recognisable the film would be seen as something akin to most of the american pie sequels. A straight to dvd cash in. The remake worked because it was 40 years after the original and pretty much all of the original cast was dead.

So the studio can wait 30 or so years for clooney and Pitt etc to die

or take advantage that household oscar winning names can be got for much cheaper then the big 3 but still easily recognisable and popular with credibility so as not to look like a cheap knock off.

Turn a weakness into a strength for the studio, they get to keep a budget under control, and they hope to dodge the cash in notion with the differnet angle approach and *look* it's sandra bullock! she was in Gravity which won Oscars, she wouldnt do a cheap knock off film.

Though considering the reaction ghostbuster got I wont be surprised if even right now someone at the top is reconsidering.

Only thing I'd say is the director, is the director of Pleasentville which I loved, but also the first hunger games which I was meh on.

never saw free state of Jones (his other movie aside from seabiscuit)

Personally if they get the chemistry between the cast going good, I'd hope it'll be fine. Like I said 30% of the original films was just the cast being chummy, if Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett can convince me they're BFFs and make me laugh (and honestly Sandra Bullock can be funny at times) they're well over half way to a good movie, the other half is just a clever heist.

though I actually thought the chemistry between the cast was one of the things Ghostbusters got right and that still got hammered so what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I agree with you.
    I'll be honest I didnt think much of the Clooney,Pitt films ,they were mostly self indulgence.

As you rightly said they remade a film that wasn't even good to begin with,then made a sequel just so that they could have a holiday in Europe and rub their huge egos in the face of the audience,and then remade the remake.

The second film was the dramatic equivalent of the whole smarmy bunch jerking each other off for two hours and winking at the audience.

Now they have jumped the shark with a female spin off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Helena Bonham Carter in and no Tim Burton attached in any way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Men should retaliate by re-making 'Beaches'

Starring Dwayne Johnson and Christopher Walken

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Men should retaliate by re-making 'Beaches'

Starring Dwayne Johnson and Christopher Walken

well they are remaking splash with Channing Tatum.

would that suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

would that suffice?

Maybe Johnson and Walken could accidentally net Tatum while out fishing?

Beach Splash!

We've had Sharknado...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Helena Bonham Carter in and no Tim Burton attached in any way :eek:

They split up a few years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

would that suffice?

It's terrible the sexual objectification that poor man suffers at the hands of creepy letcherous women, now this, I hear they've even retitled it movie 'Sploosh'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hope this flops like the new ghostbusters did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Hollywood seems to be going out of its way to show its so gender neutral. That's all well and good but do it with an original film with female leads not this remake just changing the gender of the leads.

As someone said it's like Ghostbusters all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jones wrote:
    Hollywood seems to be going out of its way to show its so gender neutral. That's all well and good but do it with an original film with female leads not this remake just changing the gender of the leads.

This is a sequal/spin-off AFAIK, not a remake, with Sandra Bullock playing Danny Ocean's sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think Hollywood feels that these ventures wouldn't do as well without a marketable IP to attach to them (I'm not saying they're right/wrong). I'm hoping that the more successful these sequals and remakes are the more all female original stuff we get and then we can stop to referring to them as 'all female', the same way no one calls ocean's 11/12/13 'all male heist movies'. They're just heist movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think Hollywood feels that these ventures wouldn't do as well without a marketable IP to attach to them (I'm not saying they're right/wrong). I'm hoping that the more successful these sequals and remakes are the more all female original stuff we get and then we can stop to referring to them as 'all female', the same way no one calls ocean's 11/12/13 'all male heist movies'. They're just heist movies.

I hope they flop so they stop making remakes or dubious spins offs, they generally arent received well or are instantly forgotten. There have been good female driven heist movies in the past, I remember enjoying Mad Money although I dont think I'd have bothered to see it in the cinema

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A 4th 'Oceans' movie is announced. Nobody cares.
    A 4th 'Oceans' movie is announced, and the cast will be women. RAR! INTERNET SMASH!

You know, maybe there is something to this idea of profiteering in keyboard-gender wars for some free publicity.

The Oceans franchise was itself a remake in the first place, and nothing more than a vacuous excuse for Steven Soderbergh and his celebrity friends to have a laugh, 3 times over. If they want to make a new one with an all-female cast, it'll be the first non-obnoxious, non-masturbatory idea the franchise has had so far.

Unless of course it turns out there has been a secret hotbed of Oceans fans who all this time have been hardcore fans about a supposed childhood favourite; in which case Bullock & co. should probably leave Twitter now and save the headlines :rolleyes:

(Don't get me wrong, the first film was kinda fun, but completely pointless equally).

I just hope they get the casting done right this time.

And don't base their entire marketing campaign about naysayers being nothing but misogynists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »
    A 4th 'Oceans' movie is announced, and the cast will be women. RAR! INTERNET SMASH!

You know, maybe there is something to this idea of profiteering in keyboard-gender wars for some free publicity.

The Oceans franchise was itself a remake in the first place, and nothing more than a vacuous excuse for Steven Soderbergh and his celebrity friends to have a laugh, 3 times over. If they want to make a new one with an all-female cast, it'll be the first non-obnoxious, non-masturbatory idea the franchise has had so far.

Unless of course it turns out there has been a secret hotbed of Oceans fans who all this time have been hardcore fans about a supposed childhood favourite; in which case Bullock & co. should probably leave Twitter now and save the headlines :rolleyes:

(Don't get me wrong, the first film was kinda fun, but completely pointless equally).

to get the rage going you would need Melissa McCarthy rebooting Rambo or something :pac: . at least there will be some eye candy in this and proper box office stars.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

pixelburp wrote: »

Uh... I'm pretty sure nobody cares even after this anouncement. The only people getting excited about this are 4 trolls and an army of OP Ed writers that can fill a couple columns with lazy headlines like "girl power smashes the Hollywood patriarchy" (with an Oceans sequel no less). I guarantee that everybody else will shrug and the movie will struggle to recoup its budget or achieve a very modest success.
    Remember back in the 90's where every intellectually bankrupt studio pitch was 'It's Die Hard on a _________.!" Well this is the same nonsense with the addition of smug virtue signalling, as they pitch ‘It’s innovate and different because it’s Die Hard with a vagina!” The reason it will wither will have nothing to do with the fact that it has an all female cast and everything to do with the fact that the zeitgeist for another Oceans sequel is tepid at best, it was tepid for Ghostbusters too, that movie came out 10 years after the audience for it had largely stopped going to the cinema becaues baby sitters cost too much. Who they think wants a Splash reboot however is truly baffling, I really wish the Studio's would stop grave robbing their Intelectual property in such a lazy fashion, if they want to give women more prominent roles let them in new properties.
    Ocean's 8 represents the misogyny of low expections on the studio's behalf, they claim this is a 'bold choice promoting women' but what they are really saying is that they don't think eight women can carry a big budget movie without the name recognition of an established franchise tentpole title to usher people in through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For the most part I am liking the casting announcements. Has me interested - and I say that as someone who had no interest in GHostbusters once the casting announcements were made and material started to hit the net.

If the trailers for this are as off putting as Ghostbusters was, i'll be out, but right now I'll be looking forward to seeing what they do with this. I just hope 'women' isn't the main marketing and narrative of the movie. Good actresses in a good story, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

it has now become unwatchable :s I like Bullock and Blancett but I am psyically unable to watch James Corden

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm completely puzzled as to how fondly the yanks have taken to James Corden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Advertisement