Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspeak has finally arrived - Trump bans the official use of 7 words

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

"Ride me sideways" was another one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

BBDBB wrote: »

There was none of that kind of thing until they elected a protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

And with that every redneck in America will jump up in unison, thrust their fists into the air and shout " Fcuk yeah! Go Donald!" and start furiously masturbating at their leader as is their custom. Cause only **** vote Trump.

They have also banned the word masturbating as it offends the religious folks...

It is now know as emaculate ejaculate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

BBDBB wrote: »

Penetrative spooning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

See, this is where your argument with me falls apart: I actually don't think people are entitled to free speech at all, no. If you look at my initial comment, I never said anything about my personal feelings regarding free speech. There's far too many idiots with ill-informed opinions in this world for my liking. I was merely pointing out the level of hypocrisy employed by Republicans who will use that "free speech" line to justify another attack on whichever minority they choose. And I figure you're educated enough to comprehend all this too -
    the difference between what Obama was doing and Trump is at.

I won't waste my time any further on someone who is deliberately obtuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There's a huge difference between censoring derogatory words and silencing science based facts. But I suspect you already know this, so why bother.
    You do dont get to choose for everybody what you feel is derogatory. You either want free uncensored speech or you don't

You do dont get to choose for everybody what you feel is derogatory. You either want free uncensored speech or you don't

Derogatory words are akin to hate speech - anyone with a basic sense of human decency understands this.

And as I said above, I don't believe everyone has a right to uncensored speech - not when it is based on nothing more than an ideology; not when it is hate speech; and certainly not when it is deliberately intended to hurt the most vulnerable in society. Which is, ironically, all this order amounts to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm beginning to miss this lot

05012616.jpg?uuid=LoI6hIPkEeWnymq27CD4OQ

Odhinn wrote: »
    One wonders if he has a position, other than opposition to whatever obama did.

He is pandering to the most extreme and dangerous of Republican bases: Evangelical Christians. His position is whatever they tell him the bible says

I'm beginning to miss this lot

05012616.jpg?uuid=LoI6hIPkEeWnymq27CD4OQ

Do you remember that one time, when Dick shot that Lawyer. Good times. Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Words that haven't been banned

Prone, susceptible
    merited
    diverseness
    gendered of the trans variety
    embryo
    Based-on-evidence
    Based-on-science

All very clever tricks on the list.

But the principal that the President wishes to censor and control the reports of scientists, while it was expected is a very dark road to set down upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In reality there is no unfettered absolute right to free speech, not even in the US.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In reality there is no unfettered absolute right to free speech, not even in the US.

Not even on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and that has very little to do with the POTUS issuing diktats curtailing the use of words in important spheres of life on ideological grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It already doesn't exist. And you know that.

You're delusional if you think you live in a society of free speech. Take this forum for example: it functions and allows discourse like this only because there is moderation - without out it there would be no civility - just ****-slinging

It already doesn't exist. And you know that.

I just read this after posting the above.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Don't agree with it but how's it different from what the left have been doing for years censoring people's use of "derogatory" words. Case in point with the fairytale of New York and the use of the word "******".

I wouldn't classify Fairytale of New York as a case in point, it's still played uncensored. If for some moronic reason, a person choose to cover it, they tend to omit the line as it no longer enters the lexicon of acceptable language. It was acceptable at the time unfortunately but unfortunately plenty of questionable terms were acceptable. Contemporaneous version of it still works perfectly, retaining some lyrics, simply doesn't work any more. Nobody can't match the quality of the original song which is my actual problem with people covering it.

Was watching a Channel 4 documentary about 70s tv and they showed clips of shows that did incredibly politically incorrect things. From blackface to saying n***** over and over again. In retrospect, much of the language and tropes were for the sake of demeaning certain groups of people. Even the actors playing the roles at the time were pretty horrified by the crap they used do. Society grows and changes, recognises issues with its past behaviour. This is not shocking.

Meanwhile the language that Trump is calling issue with are completely inoffensive and do not diminish anyone. The only reason he has an issue with them is because he's entirely opposed to anything fact based, he likes to diminish certain groups of people and is a throwback. He's an intentionally divisive president who's quickly moving in the direction of impeachment.

• Advertisement

So you are telling me, that public companies can openly discriminate - okay... Yeah, obtuse is the word.

Yeah, try shouting terrorist stuff in a public space, see how you get on with your "free speech".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He is pandering to the most extreme and dangerous of Republican bases: Evangelical Christians. His position is whatever they tell him the bible says

He is pandering to white southern Evangelical Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

never ceases to amaze me how far right wingers will bend back to support whatever Looney idea pops into trumps head. Banning words ok with that now.

I didn't say anything about the First Amendment. I replied to you in relation to "free speech". Which, as you've admitted, has caveats. Therefore absolute free speech does not exist, anywhere.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He is pandering to white southern Evangelical Christians.

Making a distinction between Evangelical Christians, by race and geographical location are we? 'Cause I know of some pretty extreme fundamental types up in North Dakota who support Trump and the rest of the cast of villains from Captain Planet, too. And then you got your African American ones in North Carolina, ya'll.

****, I even know some local Evangelicals living right here who adamantly support this anti-science, anti-equality ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah, try shouting terrorist stuff in a public space, see how you get on with your "free speech".

Do you actually know what Free Speech is?

I'm not one to often agree with Permabear, but in this case you genuinely seem to not know what you're talking about.

edit: Just saw your follow up comment, so you're actually just being pedantic. Fair enough, really.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Do you actually know what Free Speech is?

I'm not one to often agree with Permabear, but in this case you genuinely seem to not know what you're talking about.

edit: Just saw your follow up comment, so you're actually just being pedantic. Fair enough, really.

Freedom of speech is a general concept....if you want to talk about American implementations, you should say so. Especially when one of your comments is about boards.ie policy, which certainly has nothing to do with the good ol' USA.

Advertisement