Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspeak has finally arrived - Trump bans the official use of 7 words

Options
  • 16-12-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.6bdc446a4091

I'm just baffled...I mean deny or dispute facts and/or science if that's your thing...but prohibit the use of certain words...that's just taking it one step too far.

Or is it?

So many words on the other side of the scientific spectrum have at least "unofficially" been banned (and not only by Trump or his ilk) that you have to be very careful these days of what you can and can't say without instantly being labelled or pushed into corner.

Are we losing the ability to talk to each other...in a meaningful way....i.e being able to say clearly what we mean or are we all already using some form of newspeak anyway and making it official doesn't really matter anymore ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'm looking forward to seeing the list of coded replacement words they'll come up with instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

strandroad wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing the list of coded replacement words they'll come up with instead!

They've already thought of that:
    In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of “science-based” or ­“evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

This thread is double plus good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Becoming more and more like a dictatorship every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Words that haven't been banned

Prone, susceptible
    merited
    diverseness
    gendered of the trans variety
    embryo
    Based-on-evidence
    Based-on-science

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

An attack on science and reason, coupled with the ending of net neutrality - well, yeah, this is pretty much what I thought would happen under Trump and the thousand-yard star schizo Pence running the show

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not quite accurate.

I have decreed that all of the "banned" words will simply be substituted with the word "cunt"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Now is the time to choose a side.
    Each side can only communicate with a list of coded phrases that has been designed by the PR people, spin doctors and socio-political analysts of that group.
    The anti Trump side can then speak about the socio economic hardship of vulnerable groups which are firmly evidence based and the Trump side can say "urgh, grbrbrgh glglglgl, something something Mexicans, make America great again".
    And with that every redneck in America will jump up in unison, thrust their fists into the air and shout " Fcuk yeah! Go Donald!" and start furiously masturbating at their leader as is their custom. Cause only **** vote Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Newspeak is alive and well but it wasn't trumpy who introduced it. It predates him by a few years and that's what got him elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An attack on science and reason, coupled with the ending of net neutrality - well, yeah, this is pretty much what I thought would happen under Trump and the thousand-yard star schizo Pence running the show

In WW2 the use of certain words was banned by the Allies and net neutrality was under treat before Trump. So as much as I dislike Trump I don't think he can take the blame for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Donald Trump ate my hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    In WW2 the use of certain words was banned by the Allies and net neutrality was under treat before Trump. So as much as I dislike Trump I don't think he can take the blame for this.

Sorry horse, Donnie appointed it's most ardent supporter to head the FCC.

So no, he doesn't walk away from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

There have been loads of nazi white supremacist freedom of speech marches in the US recently wonder if this will get them out protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You say newspeak I say newspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Words that haven't been banned

Prone, susceptible
    merited
    diverseness
    gendered of the trans variety
    embryo
    Based-on-evidence
    Based-on-science

In a science context Embryo and Fetus are not the same thing. You would use embryo up until about the eight week mark and then use Fetus after that.

Del2005 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you can. Net Neutrality was protected under Obama - in fact he signed an into a order concerning it; Trump's administration has done everything it can to undermine Obama's work - including net neutrality. Everything this administration stands for flies in the face of Americans so called freedom of speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don't agree with it but how's it different from what the left have been doing for years censoring people's use of "derogatory" words. Case in point with the fairytale of New York and the use of the word "******".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Don't agree with it but how's it different from what the left have been doing for years censoring people's use of "derogatory" words. Case in point with the fairytale of New York and the use of the word "******".

I'd say you need to be "shut down"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Meh the left are just reaping what they've sowed if you ask me. They are to blame for tipping the scales of balance and shoving their beliefs and demands down everyone's throat. Only reason that lunatic was ever elected in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Has he not just banned the use of these words in a report he's getting. Thread is a little misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"But Obama"

"But the lefties"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"But Obama"

"But the lefties"

I'm dissapointed nobody mentioned emails or Bill's infidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A variety of words are banned by boards.ie, so the idea is hardly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see "Bigly" is on the universities banned list. It's a shame because I like that word.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

So basically, he tried to stop idiots who deny human influenced climate change from spreading nonsense; monitor suspected terrorists and stop Republican lobbying - yeah, that sounds absolutely vile (sarcasm implied).

There's a huge difference between censoring derogatory words and silencing science based facts. But I suspect you already know this, so why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'm pretty sure you can. Net Neutrality was protected under Obama - in fact he signed an into a order concerning it; Trump's administration has done everything it can to undermine Obama's work - including net neutrality. Everything this administration stands for flies in the face of Americans so called freedom of speech

One wonders if he has a position, other than opposition to whatever obama did.

• Advertisement

Advertisement