Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ZiggyBean

Scan all done and dusted, everything looking as it should, measuring a week ahead so due date changed but still August... But likely to be July..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Hi everyone,

I've been watching the thread but afraid to post in case I jinx it. I'm due August 15th, will be having a C-section as I had surgery a few years ago. It will be my first and a miracle really as I have had a host of medical complications (including treatment which seemed to trigger menopause a few years ago).

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Katgurl wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've been watching the thread but afraid to post in case I jinx it. I'm due August 15th, will be having a C-section as I had surgery a few years ago. It will be my first and a miracle really as I have had a host of medical complications (including treatment which seemed to trigger menopause a few years ago).

Good luck everyone!

Congrats and good luck to you!

Our EDD is the 16th, so far so good anyway.

Quiet in here.

Mrs was in for a check up today.

Approx 15 weeks gone, so far so good thank god.

Hope everyone is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Is / has anyone opted for the harmony test? Are people going private or public? Sorry for asking but, first baby on the way and lots of questions!

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Is / has anyone opted for the harmony test? Are people going private or public? Sorry for asking but, first baby on the way and lots of questions!

We had it done around the 10 week mark as Mrs is almost 40 and we had a previous loss with abnormalities, all clear thank god.

We went private on number 1 but are thus far going public. Private was excellent particularly the fact she had her own room when baba arrived but it cost us the guts of €4000 so ain't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

I'n going public and had my first appointment yesterday, no scan just urine and blood tests and lots of questions! I went to the bray clinic as its one of the satellite clinics for Holes street. She booked me in for a scan 22 weeks tho.

I've been so sick with hyperemis and on cariban for it which seems to be working, couldn't keep anything down and ended up in Holes street on for a drip but got a scan that visit at ten weeks! Due on the 26th Aug approx! And it's my first at 26 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Parkviewbaby

davo2001 wrote: »

Hi, I'm booked in for the NIPT test (harmony) next week. Thought long and hard about it but I had a miscarriage a few months ago and I'm extremely anxious so hopefully this will ease my mind a bit. Its pretty expensive though.

I'm public with the Rotunda, doing the domino scheme. Its great, midwife came to my house for booking appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I got the NIPT tests done. I think they are the same as Harmony. The first round were inconclusive at 11 weeks so I've gone again and waiting for my results. They were 450e but because I opted in to allow my results be used in a trial I got 100e discount.

I am going semi-p with the rotunda. I've medical insurance so it's costing 1100. It's my first, probably last and I'm having a C-section so I wanted to be with the same consultant who knew my medical history all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I'm going private in Limerick. I went public on my last pregnancy and found the service busy but pretty good to be honest. At the end of the day you're going to be delivering at the same hospital either way :) I went private this time because I have a few medical conditions that could complicate things and wanted a bit focused oversight on things by one consultant. I think if I didn't have those health conditions I would have went public again. The fees are about 3500 for private and that isn't covered by most health insurance providers. The hospital stay for 3-5 days depending if you have a section or not is covered by most health insurance providers. If you go public its all free!

I got the bloods taken for the harmony test at my first checkup with the consultant at the end of last week so still waiting for the results. It cost 380 euro that I paid directly to the harmony test people. I did it more for peace of mind and to be informed as possible if there was a chromosomal defect. Finding out the gender is a added bonus :D Results take 5-10 working days so hoping to hear at the start of next week.

• Advertisement

Just got the harmony test and I'm low risk for all of the 3 abnormalities. And its a girl :D. I'm now too giddy to concentrate on work and am posting on boards instead :D

Just got the harmony test and I'm low risk for all of the 3 abnormalities. And its a girl :D. I'm now too giddy to concentrate on work and am posting on boards instead :D

Congrats! Great news! I'm so impatient! Can't wait to find out what were having! Tempted to get a private gender scan! 14 weeks today! Have been so sick since about seven weeks, but on cariban and it's easing it!

All my normal jeans are too tight! But my maternity jeans i bought are still a little too big!

I think I'll have to go digging around in my wardrobe for my maternity jeans too soon. Things are starting to get a bit tight!

It sucks when you have the terrible nausea and vomiting. I got of relatively lightly this time around, seems to be pure luck. Good to hear you got a progressive doc will to prescribe cariban. I've heard horror stories of women having to be admitting to go on fluids before anything would be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Hi all, hope everybody is keeping well! Had previously posted as a guest under name firsttimemamma but pregnancy isnt any secret anymore lol

Just wanted to ask for those who’ve done this before about the 20 week scan. Mines this friday both excited and nervous, just wondering can anybody shed some light on what to expect??

Going by the letter it just sounds like a scan only ie no other collection of info or talking with midwives, urine sample like booking appointment etc. I haven’t had any issues since the 12 week one other than discovering im rhesus negative but thats a run of the mill thing.

Any idea how long it will take in total?? I’m (hopefully weather dependant) going to Cork for the weekend after so just trying to organise myself a little. I’m going public in the rotunda if anybody has any specifics about there that’d be great. :)

al_E_kat wrote: »
    Hi all, hope everybody is keeping well! Had previously posted as a guest under name firsttimemamma but pregnancy isnt any secret anymore lol

Just wanted to ask for those who’ve done this before about the 20 week scan. Mines this friday both excited and nervous, just wondering can anybody shed some light on what to expect??

Going by the letter it just sounds like a scan only ie no other collection of info or talking with midwives, urine sample like booking appointment etc. I haven’t had any issues since the 12 week one other than discovering im rhesus negative but thats a run of the mill thing.

Any idea how long it will take in total?? I’m (hopefully weather dependant) going to Cork for the weekend after so just trying to organise myself a little. I’m going public in the rotunda if anybody has any specifics about there that’d be great. :)

Your 20 week scan is similar to your 12 week one only much more in depth, they will be measuring the circumference of babies tummy and head and measuring the length of bones etc, also looking to see any obvious issues, they will check the heart function which is pretty cool to see! Providing baba cooperates it shouldn't take too long but will definitely be longer than previous scan. Also it will be an opportunity to find out babies sex should you want to know and again baby cooperates.

I'm in the coombe not the rotunda but I assume the system is fairly standardised. Best of luck with it, it's really a great experience.

Starting to get some serious kicking activity going on hwre, which was such a relief, had a scan on Friday and I have an anterior placenta, so all them lovely flutters have been absorbed.

My 20 week scan isn't until the end of the month, I'll be 22 weeks then!

Oh and scan is usually just that, mine are anyway, my appointments with consultant/midwife land on separate days.

Oh thanks Ziggy!! Can’t believe I’ve gotten this far seems so quick ha! It’ll prob drag now as I allow myself get more and more excited, I’ve been very cautiously optimistic so far!!

Omg I’ve been getting little kicks and movements too they’re amazing, really help on those days I worry about things being ok!!

Aw wow waiting until you’re 22 weeks must be hard, I’m 20 weeks tomorrow so I’ve prob gotten lucky with my appointments, prob helps that the due date is the 1st of the month! Are you going to find out the gender?? We’re keeping it a surprise, I’d love to know but I know I’ll love the surprise more on the day

al_E_kat wrote: »
    Oh thanks Ziggy!! Can’t believe I’ve gotten this far seems so quick ha! It’ll prob drag now as I allow myself get more and more excited, I’ve been very cautiously optimistic so far!!

Omg I’ve been getting little kicks and movements too they’re amazing, really help on those days I worry about things being ok!!

Aw wow waiting until you’re 22 weeks must be hard, I’m 20 weeks tomorrow so I’ve prob gotten lucky with my appointments, prob helps that the due date is the 1st of the month! Are you going to find out the gender?? We’re keeping it a surprise, I’d love to know but I know I’ll love the surprise more on the day

Had a little scan on Friday and got to see the bub chilling and waving so I'm ok to wait another few weeks, we are having another surprise, although it is definitely harder this time! It's so worth it at the time though...

I got my c section date, so technically I'm not having the baby in July but Due Date is August. All going well I'll be meeting my little one the day before my birthday! Who could ask for a better present.

I've been very low key about the baby but as things progress I'm definitely getting more excited and even went and bought a few things!

The kicks are the best, it's so nice to sit in work and feel them, makes a hard day so much easier. I must look demented as I sit here smiling to myself haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Hi girls, I finally feel confident enough to post now after having gone for our 2nd scan last Monday as it looked like I had a 'vanishing twin' at our first scan but the lady couldn't tell for sure so we had to go back last Monday. It was quite amazing to see how much more the baby grew since 1st scan! I have another sac but it is empty and the lady said it was probably a twins pregnancy initially but it stopped developing at some stage :)

My EDD is 28th August so it could be either an August or September baby! ;) We're hoping for August though as its both our birthdays but as long as the baby come into the world all well we'll be happy :) I will probably be posting in here and in Sept thread too ;)

The bump craic is a bit annoying as it just feels like fat flab at moment and before I got pregnant I lost over 30lbs so I'm a bit weary about gaining weight or looking chubby but I started to accept it more last week ;) My favourite jeans are def getting uncomfortable so I went to New Look for maternity jeans but I didn't like it as it felt baggy at asss/crotch so will try a size smaller and see if it is any better this evening.

Happy Paddys day all!!

Had my 20 week scan yesterday, it was amazing, everything measuring up perfect and nothing abnormal detected thank god!! Giving myself permission to really start baby shopping now, great start to the weekend. :)

Have a good weekend everyone whatever ye are upto

We were in for a scan last night as missus had a bit of a bleed (turns out it looks like it came from her kidneys so baba is fine).

About 19 weeks gone and baba moving round well.

In next week for the "big" scan.

I have to say, the emergency department in the Coombe is a fcuking joke.

We got in there around 7 and didn't get seen til after 12. One poor doctor manning it but she was being called up for emergencies elsewhere.

The whole system is stretched to beyond breaking point, it's an utter disgrace that for an alleged civilised society that places like this are the rule rather than the exception. Absolutely no dignity or privacy.

One poor lady, on her own, was in before us. She obviously got bad news as she came out very upset and she was left sitting in a packed waiting room for over an hour, crying her eyes out waiting to be admitted.

Really boils my piss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's the same everywhere business cat.Rotunda is the same.I'd expect a minimum two hour wait when I go in like that.
    Worse they tend to have more junior doctors covering the emergency, wards and delivery.
    Not their fault, it"s such an awful way to have the system set up.They do their best.

shesty wrote: »
    It's the same everywhere business cat.Rotunda is the same.I'd expect a minimum two hour wait when I go in like that.
    Worse they tend to have more junior doctors covering the emergency, wards and delivery.
    Not their fault, it"s such an awful way to have the system set up.They do their best.

I have to say I had a very good experience in Hollis street, I got sent in to the emergency department at 10 weeks because I was really sick, had hyperemesis and couldn't keep anything down and when I went in i was seen nearly straight away and everyone was so helpful and pleasant.

17 weeks 2 days now and still so tired and sick! Cariban is saving me 😄 Getting a gender scan next week privately as didn't get a 12 scan cos I am public and went to one of Holis streets satelite clinics, frist proper scan on the 17th of April!

Had our anatomy scan this morning, all good and baba is developing as they should. We got a little 3d picture from the sonographer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Been a while since I posted here and the thread has gone a little quiet, so thought I'd say hello! Currently 19+5, having our 20 week scan this week. Feeling a bit nervous, not sure why! Baby has been moving since about 18 weeks, such a strange feeling at first but it is so reassuring to know baby is there. Really starting to dawn on me that I will be a Mum in 4 months or so, starting to feel a bit anxious. I'm sure it's normal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Parkviewbaby

Been a while since I posted here and the thread has gone a little quiet, so thought I'd say hello! Currently 19+5, having our 20 week scan this week. Feeling a bit nervous, not sure why! Baby has been moving since about 18 weeks, such a strange feeling at first but it is so reassuring to know baby is there. Really starting to dawn on me that I will be a Mum in 4 months or so, starting to feel a bit anxious. I'm sure it's normal though.

Hi, this group is so quiet alright. I'm 19+4, have my 20 week scan on Monday. Can't wait for it but also very anxious. Have been feeling some movement too and my oh has felt a few kicks when he put his hands on my belly which is lovely. Have you started buying anything yet? I haven't got a thing. Will probably start to get a few bits after scan.

I'm 20 weeks today but don't have my anomaly scam for another week and a half. Would love to have it sooner.
    I've been feeling movement for the last 3 weeks or so so that's a reassurance I'd didn't have til about 21 weeks last time.

Is anyone else finding their bed a lot less comfortable? I have a fairly hard mattress which is how I generally like my mattresses, but with all this having to sleep on your side business its just not as comfy anymore... Also regretting getting an equally hard mattress for the guest room!

Finally gave in and dug out the maternity jeans out of the back of the wardrobe at the weekend. They keep sliding down my arse though... and they're the over the bump type. Wondering if I stretched them out on my last pregnancy... Or if I'm just not big enough to justify them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Haven't started to buy anything yet, at 20+4 now. Scan was fine so I think I might start buying essentials like muslins, babygros, wipes etc. I think I'm a little superstitious, which is silly as I really want to enjoy this pregnancy, especially while I'm still in my second trimester.

Jelly&Icecream - How annoying the jeans are loose, maybe they'll fit later on in the pregnancy? My bed is still relatively comfy for me, but as we only have a double I can see we'll be caught for space later!

Actually they mentioned that my placenta was a bit high in my scan, has anyone heard of that before? Doctor reckons it'll drop eventually but will check again at my anomaly scan in a few weeks.

Started looking at prams/travel systems too. It must be hilarious to watch my OH and I trying to fold them down, we are not very good at it!

• Advertisement

I'm 20 weeks this week and have my scan on Tuesday 😄 Went for a private scan at 17 weeks and found out we having a little boy! So exciting! Having started buying a few bits, bought bottles and a steriliser in the dunnes baby event and bought a few cute clothes in Next and m&s, there stuff is so nice! Have started looking at travel systems but so indecisive!

Advertisement