Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss most about your childhood.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Falling asleep on the way home from somewhere and my dad carrying me from the car straight up to my room.
    I loved that! Used to pretend to fall asleep just before we got home so Id get carried to my room :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I remember those impromptu football matches we used to have in the local field. Did a quick sweep to remove any glass, set up goals made of whatever shiny things were lying around and away we went. There could have been about 30 people playing by the end!

We played long into the evening, until about 9 or 10 when we had to stop because we couldn't see the ball anymore.

They were great days thinking back. Didn't appreciate it fully back then of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Appreciating things that were rare, unusual or not commonplace like a glass of lemonade, ice cream for dessert, snow, etc. Now they are just taken for granted.

Also in my estate there was a black woman. She was a nurse and she was gorgeous like Diana Ross. Everyone loved her, especially the men of the estate. She had no problem getting her car fixed or a gutter cleared by the neighbourhood dads. So she was a rarity as well and very much appreciated.

Also playing football in the green until 10pm. When I was small I had a football and we'd all have a match. If I was called in because I was younger and the older lads who could stay out later I would let them hold onto the ball to continue the match. Next morning when I would wake up the ball would be in the front garden or sitting by itself in the middle of the empty green. Nobody ever nicked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Picking one of the 6 TV channels and watching a programme rather than spending 20min flcikin through the listings on sky only to have missed half of what you then decide to watch and have to go and see if there is a +1 channel and then setting a reminder for it and then having to go back to the start again to find something else to watch for the next 45 minutes but end up picking something that lasts 1.5hrs and so overlapping the other programme you wanted to watch so you go back through the listings again to find the other programme and set it to record instead of just a reminder and as your scrolling through the pages you spot something else starting at the same time so you set it to record also and then revert to the programme your watching only for a message to pop up 45 minutes later telling you that your recordings are going to clash and then you have to decide either to cancel one of them or forget about the programme your watching and just watch one of the original programmes you set to record so that's what you do only to find out its a repeat and you've seen it before but now have missed 10 minutes of the other show and decide fúck this and go away off and do something else instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I remember those impromptu football matches we used to have in the local field. Did a quick sweep to remove any glass, set up goals made of whatever shiny things were lying around and away we went. There could have been about 30 people playing by the end!

We played long into the evening, until about 9 or 10 when we had to stop because we couldn't see the ball anymore.

They were great days thinking back. Didn't appreciate it fully back then of course.

My brother still tells me about legendary goals he got in those kind of football games and when he tells it, its almost like a running commentary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

the nice summers and walking barefoot, all the animals around me on our farm and my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wrestling on the trampoline.

Powerbombing my brother, piledriving my brother, chokeslamming my brother, DDT'ing my brother, German suplexing my brother, scoop slaming my brother, applying a bostoncrab to my brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

That every day felt like a sunny day.

I miss my Great Aunt and my Mum. They both made our childhood so idyllic. They were both like mother hens looking after their brood. So soft and calm with us.

I miss roaming the fields with not a care in the world. Every day was an adventure.

If I could just relive one day of summer from my childhood. I didn't know how good I had it.

Being able to feel happy, excited, pleasure and nice wholesome explainable sadness, free from intrusive thoughts, apathy and harder-to-explain numbness. Not having yet thought so deeply about everything that nothing provides you with wonder anymore. Your future not yet having happened so you can lie in bed at night wondering about it and feel safe thinking there is a big block of time separating you from then. The internet not yet being big and social media and smartphones not being a thing yet - I am nostalgic for before they existed, for many reasons. Lack of awareness of the existence of social status hierarchies, hierarchies of attractiveness etc. Daydreaming about innocent romantic stuff to do with girls and not considering yourself to be less in the running than other lads who are in fact more attractive to all the girls. Just cycling through the countryside on a spring day, the cold air on your face, daydreaming about stuff. Being the same height or taller than my peers and not having acne yet. Not yet having accumulated regrets, embarrassments etc. The excitement at the thought of going through milestones - starting secondary school, first disco, first kiss, the debs, driving, first job etc... i could go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

As a child of the 50s I feel sad for the children of today.
    They'll never know how to make their own toys, to climb a tree to the very top and carve their name in the bark with a cheap pen-knife bought at the annual Fair.
    They'll never milk a cow by hand, or do the daily run to the Creamery and feed the calves with the skim milk afterwards.
    They'll never run through the fields chasing a baby rabbit (with no hope of catching it) just for the fun of the chase!
    Never be sent to the Village shop, three or more miles off,
    on foot.
    Few, if any children, are allowed catch minnows in a stream and bring them home in a jam jar.
    Never spend hours searching for a lost ball in a roadside ditch, to experience the sheer joy at finding it, or discovering a better one, lost by their elders years before!
    Never spend their Sunday after Mass hours sitting on a wall watching cars pass by on their way to a big match in the City, and shouting out what County each car was from by the reg number.
    No child nowadays (I'm sure) are allowed the freedom to 'explore' the woods ' hunting for wild bears' / Apache Indians / Robin Hoods Merrie men, Roman Centurions, etc, while armed with a home-made bow and arrows and wooden sword!
    And I'm sure, they'll never have Pigs Head, cabbage & spuds for Sunday dinner...every Sunday!

Ahh, my childhood.
    God, how I miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Wow so much. Especially summer. Calling to my best friend next door and disappearing for the day, only to come back for a greaseproof paper cone of chips with lashings of salt. And the parents not being worried.

All the kids in the estate playing kick the can, rounders, some messed up version of football and rugby combined, catch me if you can, bow and arrow wars, battle and commando comics. Time bars and jaw breakers to ruin your teeth.

On a Raleigh 20 thinking you're Frank Poncherello from Chips.

Sunday night baths followed by comfy pj's, yorkie bars and smarties while watchin the muppet show and being carried off to bed.

Happy damn days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

DanMurphy wrote: »
    They'll never know how to make their own toys, to climb a tree to the very top and carve their name in the bark with a cheap pen-knife bought at the annual Fair.
    They'll never milk a cow by hand, or do the daily run to the Creamery and feed the calves with the skim milk afterwards.
    They'll never run through the fields chasing a baby rabbit (with no hope of catching it) just for the fun of the chase!
    on foot.
    Few, if any children, are allowed catch minnows in a stream and bring them home in a jam jar.
    Never spend hours searching for a lost ball in a roadside ditch, to experience the sheer joy at finding it, or discovering a better one, lost by their elders years before!
    Never spend their Sunday after Mass hours sitting on a wall watching cars pass by on their way to a big match in the City, and shouting out what County each car was from by the reg number.
    No child nowadays (I'm sure) are allowed the freedom to 'explore' the woods ' hunting for wild bears' / Apache Indians / Robin Hoods Merrie men, Roman Centurions, etc, while armed with a home-made bow and arrows and wooden sword!
    And I'm sure, they'll never have Pigs Head, cabbage & spuds for Sunday dinner...every Sunday!

Ahh, my childhood.
    God, how I miss it.

And the post of the year goes to......^^^^^^^^ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The reason it is bitter sweet is because what we recall is the freedom with out responsibility or knowledge. As a child you can think when I grow up I will spend all my money on sweets alas when you grow up and have the money to do so, you also have the knowledge that spending all your money on sweets is bad for you and makes you fat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

DanMurphy wrote: »
    on foot.

Ahh, my childhood.
    God, how I miss it.

As a child of the 80s I did much the same stuff except on Sundays after mass it would be roast beef for dinner or McDonalds and I grew up in the burbs of Dublin, not the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

going to see my uncle in mayo with the family, before any motorways or that it used to take 6 hours. great car journey

Sitting at the breakfast counter in my grannys kitchen between her and my granddad on Sunday evenings, eating toasted sandwiches feeling like the most important person in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Being gay and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Staying out playing football on the field for hours upon hours and then going to the shop with friends to buy some penny sweets.

Spending Sunday afternoons laying on the couch in my dad's arms as he fell asleep and I watched Robot Wars.

Climbing huge trees to what I think of now is probably a dangerous height and looking out over the fields.

Getting scared at night then snaking up between my parents in their bed and feeling invincible.

Advertisement