Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss most about your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Postman Pat sweets! Being able to eat my entire body weight in sugar a day and having the energy to run it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

danganabu wrote: »
    Ahhh maybe become a primary school teacher??

I thought about that, but couldn't put up with 30 kids all day. I know someone who became a primary school teacher for the holidays and short hours, but wasn't actually 'thinking of the children' involved in the job and ended up having a nervous breakdown so probably best if I don't follow in their footsteps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

mojesius wrote: »
    I thought about that, but couldn't put up with 30 kids all day. I know someone who became a primary school teacher for the holidays and short hours, but wasn't actually 'thinking of the children' involved in the job and ended up having a nervous breakdown so probably best if I don't follow in their footsteps.

I also know someone who did it for the fact that at the time Mary I had the highest porportion of female to male students in the country, I'm not sure someone with that rational is someone I want shaping my kids future tbh :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Going around the neighbourhood in my BMX bike with my mates. We played outdoors so much back in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Being abe to drool on breasts without fear of arrest or conviction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Matchbox toy soldiers ,1/32 scale.
    I had thousands of them.My dog massacred about 20 Afrika Corp one year and loads more vanished into the mists of time.However four Commandos turned up in my mother's back garden three years and they now sit on a shelf at home.

Also climbing, I used climb trees , walls etc , nowadays my bed is the highest climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Optimism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Going around the neighbourhood in my BMX bike with my mates. We played outdoors so much back in the 80s.

I actually remember cycling my BMX home from the shop that we bought it in. I think i was 6. I was looking back at my mam and thinking "am I going a bit too far ahead? Better slow down"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Imagination - I watched and smiled the other day as I saw a kid sitting in costa playing with 2 toys, gripped in a world I used to love.

Caravan holidays - just exploring the surroundings in Wicklow or Wexford and meeting the fascinating characters who would linger in the mind for many months afterward.

Summer - warm evenings spent hanging out and feeling free.

Innocence - probably the biggest thing I miss - I grew up and came to know violence and crime all too intimately. I would give anything to believe again that such afflictions only happened on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cadbury's chocolate being nice.

Penny sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Jimmy Savile

My deceased grandfather. Getting up in the morning and playing all day, just stopping to eat as quickly as possible and back to playing again. Being tucked into bed and feeling so safe and tired and secure in my tiny world. Being absolutely convinced that I was the absolutely very best, funniest, cleverest, and most special little girl in the world, because my dad said so and my dad knows everything. My parents were invincible, all powerful.

I miss sitting on my parents knees and falling asleep, knowing I'd wake up magically in my bed in the morning, and that generally contented feeling of being safe, fed, loved, happy, carefree.

Being thrown in the air and never once doubting you'll be caught. Falling down and knowing there's no injury that Granny can't kiss better, asking my Grandfather questions from some quizbook, trying and failing to find something he didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

People actually talking to one another, communities being communities!!

also as it's xmas I miss the tradition of going to both Grandparents houses on xmas day and all the cousins and uncles/aunts be there, place be jammed, sadly and what was a harsh reality you lose touch with your extended family when the grandparents pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The never ending summers where it just rained day after day and you would sit in front of the TV until the afternoon waiting for the first programme of the day to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

All the old sweets like Disco crisps and Banshee bones, gone but not forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I miss having energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    People not taking offense to absolutely anything and everything

People not using every single thread on the internet as a launchpad to make a point about people taking offence to absolutely anything and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Daily Mail reader in this thread

Quite possibly but it aint me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I miss the memories. I have virtually none between the age of 8 and 17.
    Experienced/witnessed a traumatic event around the age of eight and the professionals reckon I had another one shortly after(still trying to get to the bottom of that one). Probably better off not knowing :D.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I miss the memories. I have virtually none between the age of 8 and 17.
    Experienced/witnessed a traumatic event around the age of eight and the professionals reckon I had another one shortly after(still trying to get to the bottom of that one). Probably better off not knowing :D.

:(

Hope you're okay, whatever happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Candie wrote: »
    :(

Hope you're okay, whatever happens.

Ah it'll be grand. I've made some crackers since!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's little I miss about my childhood tbh. Nothing too terrible and there were good moments here and there but I was very awkward and had a difficult and challenging life at school and at home.

I miss how my mother used to be at Christmas. She would really come to life. I'm very lucky that I have a huge extended family and I always remember them showing me so much kindness growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

My mum.

And not having to be responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Despite having a pretty **** childhood, I was the master of making even a small amount of money go a long way. I could go into sainsburys or Asda with a pound or two, and get enough tasty food to last me for multiple days. Wasn't healthy food at all, absolute garbage but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Reading the hardy boys books and 2000ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Playing football even though I wasn't very good at it, keep saying I'm going to try get fit n get back to 5 a side.. never going to happen thou

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

There was always something to look forward to, always something worth collecting (stamps, football stickers, whatever..), getting to know the girls in the neighbourhood.... Having said all that, i hated being told what to do, so life really began when i started a job & became independent

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The lack of aches and pains.
    I'm a bloody wreck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

When knees were just knees....i now refer to them my old bad knee (lefty) and new bad knee (righty).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Running down hills while your legs are going too fast for your body.

Advertisement