Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss most about your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Setting fire to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My mother. She died when I was 4…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Beĺieving in santa was among the greatest joys of my childhood when i realised he didn't exist christmas was never the same again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Being able to sleep every night for hours on end. 4 continuous hours is deemed a great success for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I miss the feeling of thinking an adult had all the answers.
    The sinking realization hat they don't and then becoming one yourself and realizing you had more questions with no answers than ever before was a helpless one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

biko wrote: »
    How great TV shows were back then, or so I thought.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Incredible Hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Being a child.

Noddy, before he became PC

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Being off school sick and lying on the couch with your duvet watching caartoons and Mammaayyy feeding you tea and toast all day. Proper buttery toast. Fire lit. Someone to rub your head and clean up your puke.
    Now that I have my own daughter I'm the puke-wiper and toast maker :(

• Advertisement

My mam and everything else. On the way back from visiting my granny I would lie down at the back of the car and stare at all the stars. I remember feeling kind of strange and full of thoughts even back then. Playing in the shed with my friends making all sorts of concoctions out of mud and water and whatever else we could find. The book fair that came to the school once a year and the excitement of picking one out.

Going for walks with Mammy and stopping off in the shop to get sweets and then eating them on the way. My barbies. Bed on Christmas Eve with a knot in my stomach at thought of santy. Daddy lifting me out of the car because the weather was awful and I was wearing a special dress for the school play. Dressing up in old clothes belonging to granny and pretending I was a grand lady from another time.

Turning the back garden in to a kind of other land but only in my head. Daddy planting vegetables. My swings. Looking for fairies. Dreaming of how life would be when I grew up. Unquestioning love. My mammy and me singing songs. Daddy getting his summer holidays and being excited about where we would go.

If I could just for a minute have a little bit of that back I'd be so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

She incredible joy of playing the very first Pokemon Nintendo games. For some reason this sticks around. We didn't have much and my mom and dad were ripping their arses apart to get me a Gameboy Colour with the game.

For some reason it is really nice to see my son enjoying the newer versions of the games too.

It might sound stupid but that really makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

The simplicity of it all.

"I always imagined that when I was a kid adults had some sort of inner toolbox full of shiny tools; the saw of discernment, the hammer of wisdom, the sandpaper of patience. But then when I grew up I found that life handed you these rusty bent old tools - friendship, prayer, conscience, honesty - and said 'do the best you can with these, they will have to do' and mostly, against all odds, they do"

Ann Lamott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My parents not being divorced.

The Commodore 64 computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Mutant z wrote: »
    Beĺieving in santa was among the greatest joys of my childhood when i realised he didn't exist christmas was never the same again.

wow wow there, back it up a bit now, the what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

branie2 wrote: »
    The Commodore 64 computer

Except waiting for it to load!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The lack of paperwork. That was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

danganabu wrote: »
    wow wow there, back it up a bit now, the what??

Next he'll be telling us the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Being able to run without hospitalising myself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Having things bought for me and the travelling shop!
    Not being a lazy arse like I am now and actually enjoying getting up early, okay it was mainly to watch cartoons but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My father.

anna080 wrote: »
    Having things bought for me and the travelling shop!
    Not being a lazy arse like I am now and actually enjoying getting up early, okay it was mainly to watch cartoons but still.

The travelling video man!! :D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Next he'll be telling us the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist.

I'm logging off before this gets out of fcukin hand, before I know it there will be no one left only meself and the Easter Bunny, and I never even like that ****er that much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Chomp Bars....not the sh*tty ones in the red wrapper you get these days. The ones in the brown wrapper that had some whomp to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What do you miss most about your childhood ?
    Dreams and the innocence of it all.

You actually believed that you could win Wimbledon like Borg, you could someday outdo Eamon Coughlan on the track, you could climb Everest, you could be a soldier, a pilot, a fireman, a truck driver all at the same time.

Anything and everything was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I miss all the free time. Finish school at 3, bit of homework then you're free. I miss all the school holidays, long summer days playing with the other kids on the road until it got dark, trips to the beach on sunny days etc. I don't miss school because it was a mixed bag for me but definitely miss the 'working week' short hours and extensive holidays.

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    I miss all the free time. Finish school at 3, bit of homework then you're free. I miss all the school holidays, long summer days playing with the other kids on the road until it got dark, trips to the beach on sunny days etc. I don't miss school because it was a mixed bag for me but definitely miss the 'working week' short hours and extensive holidays.

Ahhh maybe become a primary school teacher??

Advertisement