Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do in your 20s to set you on your way in life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Slept with as many men as possible which set me up nicely as the drought kicked in at 30.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Had different 20s (still am in my late) than most others. I had my son just before I turned 20. Raised him alone. Finished school, enrolled university, had a part time job. Couldn't maintain both, decided for the job because I needed the money and I really liked the job.
    Met my Irish partner, he moved in with me just a few months after we met, we moved back to Ireland together, shortly afterwards our baby was on the way. Bought a house. Earning big money with online poker and cheap sleazy novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got my Arts Degree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Learnt to fly...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Realised 'the career' and buying a house were a scam, life's been good since

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stopped worrying about what other people thought of me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Testament1 wrote: »
    Sounds great! What kind of work was that?

Working on Gas & Steam Turbines & generators in power stations.
    Either installing them from new, or doing maintenance on existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Full time, permanent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

I gave up cocaine, smoking and gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Invested in shares. I'm 31, buying a house on my own with 40% deposit ... will be in there by march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The job that I had for a summer job turned into a 16 year long one and what I learnt from that has got me where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I learned resilience, how to live within my means, how to hold down a job, found a nice girl and settled down. I'm 30 now and moving into a house with her at the end of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Did you do anything important/significant in your 20s that set you up/ changed the direction of your life. 
    For example, did you start a business, or invest in some incredible stocks, or did you overpay on a small house in the boom and your stuck there, or do the wrong course and hate your job.
    I would love to start a business a few years after college, but I'll what cards i'm dealt.

Got good at eating vag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Learned how to attract numerous women

Didn't learn to stick with one til recently

Invested in shares which has given me money now to reinvest in crypto currency.

I learned **** all in my 20s. Only started learning in my 30s. Hope it's not too late for the important things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Did a degree, did a masters, worked, travelled, made friends, drank, did drugs, had a lot of fun, met the person who I want to share my life with but, most importantly, got to understand myself better and know better what I want and what I don't want and that I'm the only one who can make that happen.

I'm not in much of a different position now as to when I was when I left college and started working. Still in the same sector, on the same level, but I feel like I've done enough in other fields to prepare myself for other opportunities.

The most important thing I've taken from my twenties (still have four months left) is to enjoy life and have fun. There'll be rainy days but who knows what'll happen in the future. Try to live as much as you can in the moment. Don't regret anything. Don't be afraid to go for something you want because you don't know what it could bring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Enjoyed my first year of college a bit too much luckily on a course I knew wasn't for me.
    Got through first year, decided to pull the plug on it and go back and start the course I should have started first time around.

Kept the nights out to a much lower amount, hit the ground running in the course. Set me on my way to the career I'm in now.
    Best decision I ever made, met my wife too, married by 29. Happy days all round, life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just got in the way of
    1. Going to work every day
    2. Paying bills/not getting into too much debt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The only difference between then and now is the amount spent on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Opened an SISA account while unemployed and havent looked back since, they were the single greatest thing that ever happened in this country that had no barriers or exclusivety, anyone that was over 18 and didnt open one should take a long hard look at themselves.

• Company Representative Posts: 122 Verified rep I'm a recovered drug user, AMA

I put down the needle, the alcohol, the nicotine and the gambling .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I put down the needle, the alcohol, the nicotine and the gambling .

fair play to you, it puts most achievements, including my own, into perspective. i wish you the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

In my 20's now and I'm going to finish my studies and qualify as a solicitor. I enjoy it but sometimes I wonder if its worth it, there's many people my age working and getting established in places like BOI while I have to do 3 more years between examinations and an apprenticeship. I often watch the people working for big firms and seeing them enter work at 8am and not emerge til 8pm. I suppose the pros far outweigh the cons if I allow myself to have a great degree of control over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Went back to college after picking the wrong course first time around, got my degree and masters.

In between/during, partied a lot, lived abroad on my own, worked in bars, restaurants and call centres. Eventually got a good job when I came home, now I have a great job in the same company.

Enjoyed the single life apart from one long term relationship at the very start of my 20s and another towards the end, who I married.

Moving abroad alone at 24 definitely changed me, made me a stronger, more rounded person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I lost money on the horses.
    The experience gained was invaluable.
    Now I'm nearly breaking even, fifty years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I joined the Irish army during the troubles, spent most of my time on the Border. Had a great time and it made a man of me. After that I could walk into any situation with confidence and not lose the head.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Spent most of my 20's working retail, college, masters, going back to college and now at 30 I'm hopefully moving out of the retail job in early next year, (waiting on a job) and looking to finally getting an apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 37,803 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

still in my 20s til Dec 2019 when I turn on dreaded 30

still in the same job since I was 18 but I enjoy it and have no desire too progress in the company and plan on moving on pretty soon.

when I was 16 I thought I'd be settled now with a big job, kids etc but it's not to be. I don't have a degree but half way there and obtain a third level higher cert and can go back and get a degree if I want too. much prefer out working than being in a classroom

when I hit 30 I think I will try harder but happy enough with my life so far in context. I'd love to have been better with the women and have a good job but these things take time for some. I'm a big gig goer and I've been all over Ireland and the UK too see almost all the band's I want too see and plan on doing more of that.

general health is ok but mental health can be shaky

• Advertisement

Slogged my way through a PhD and started a career in an area I've wanted to work in since I was 11 years old. It was tough going at times but I'm very glad I stuck with it.

Advertisement