Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do in your 20s to set you on your way in life?

Options
  • 13-12-2017 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Did you do anything important/significant in your 20s that set you up/ changed the direction of your life. 
    For example, did you start a business, or invest in some incredible stocks, or did you overpay on a small house in the boom and your stuck there, or do the wrong course and hate your job.
    I would love to start a business a few years after college, but I'll what cards i'm dealt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did you do anything important/significant in your 20s that set you up/ changed the direction of your life. 
    For example, did you start a business, or invest in some incredible stocks, or did you overpay on a small house in the boom and your stuck there, or do the wrong course and hate your job.
    I would love to start a business a few years after college, but I'll what cards i'm dealt.

I stopped drinking whiskey and smoking dope.

Set me right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I had sex with with the wrong woman, She's now my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Got married, had kids and bought a house. I'm still in my 20s so maybe I'll do more in the next 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Emigrated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Partied until 25. Met a woman and quietened down....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Right from the first place we bought I always overpaid the mortgage. Even if it was at times just rounding up and at times at the expense of the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

PhD, changed my direction alright. Straight to poverty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I made every damn mistake there is, and then some.

Unlike a lot of people however, I learned very careful lessons from those mistakes.
    These 3 key areas are very important for anyone who might be willing to listen:

1. Manage your finances wisely. Do you NEED it, or want it? Ask yourself this every single time.

2. Choose the company you keep extremely carefully. I made the mistake of remaining friends for too long with people I grew up with who had simply become bums and wasters. I felt like I was being a traitor if I didn't stick with them. And I got sucked into their drama eventually.

3. Realise early that "everyone is doing it" isn't a good influence when making sound decisions (think property and lifestyle choices).

Get these three under control and your life will improve significantly. I know mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bought a house at 25 at exactly the right time just before prices went crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Start taking **** breaks at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I emigrated at a time when both my job and personal life were going nowhere, and I was extremely unhappy. In the years since, I've taken advantage of some great opportunities in work that would never have been available at home. And while I'm still a bit of a miserable fcuker, I feel that the decision to leave was the best one I ever made.

Absolutely nothing. My life was different in many ways and there were things that I was that I am no longer. I just lived it though. Now I'm in my thirties and am very aware of how much it can all change in the blink of an eye. Plans mean nothing to me.

Bought a load of bitcoin

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I stopped engaging in pointless discussions on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I had sex with with the wrong woman, She's now my wife.

Mine is similar.

I had sex with the wrong woman. She is now your wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Did you do anything important/significant in your 20s

Ketamine. Copious amounts of ketamine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Got a job where I got to travel the world for 7 years all expenses paid, then got another job with the same company where I’ve been home based for the last 5 years.

In the 7 years I was travelling I was able to save a fairly big deposit (roughly 45% of house value), but should have had a lot more if I didn’t spend a lot on crap I didn’t need!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

3 year military tour of service, left, put IT skills to work, bought my own company, sold it and entered corporate life. Turned out well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Mine is similar.

I had sex with the wrong woman. She is now your wife

Is that you Mammy? I thought we were never going to bring that up again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wasted my 20s in terms of establishing my life. I played it way to safe and was too unconfident about my academic abilities to take on a course after making a pigs ear of my leaving cert. I absolutely should have taken a trade but I wouldn't have been supported at home for doing that. When I was working and it was paying me to work, I didn't want to give up anything stable.

TL;DR I had major comfort zone problems.

I've known only too well how shaky my foundations were seeing as I've done nothing but pay and pay for not taking on more risks/ challenges. All I hope is that when I'm in my 40s, I'll look back and thank myself for taking on the challenges I did when I was in my 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Surfed the real kind as there was now internet when I was in my 20's and traveled the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Got a job where I got to travel the world for 7 years all expenses paid, then got another job with the same company where I’ve been home based for the last 5 years.

In the 7 years I was travelling I was able to save a fairly big deposit (roughly 45% of house value), but should have had a lot more if I didn’t spend a lot on crap I didn’t need!!

Sounds great! What kind of work was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G.G.Smiley

Learned how to cook.
    Serious financial and health benefits gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Moved to Germany before the Boom, Moved back after the Bust.

If I had been here during the boom im 100% sure I would still be financially ****ed today after making bad lifestyle choices.

All good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

eviltwin wrote: »
    Bought a house at 25 at exactly the right time just before prices went crazy.
    I bought a house when I was 24 (a 20 year mortgage) and have one more payment, due at the beginning of January. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bought and paid for a house which gave me a head start.
    By no means the full story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

100% of where I am now in my 40s (job, family, house) is as a result of a chain of random whimsical decisions I made in my 20s.
    1. Got a 6 month IT contract after leaving college with a company because they needed bodies for the indoor soccer and it was on my CV.
    2. Got offered a permanent position with the company because I bought one of the managers a couple of pints one night.
    3. Worked abroad for 6 months because another lad who was going suggested I should ask because the girls there were hot.
    4. Because of the stint abroad,
    Ah fcuk it, this must be boring the sh1te out of ye.
    I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Left dead end Ireland for London in the eighties, on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

josip wrote: »
    Ah fcuk it, this must be boring the sh1te out of ye.
    I'm off to bed.

Advertisement