Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2/Geldof and Freedom of Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

railer201 wrote: »
    It's hard to judge public opinion on the basis of one poll, but it would appear that public opinion might be on Geldof's side on this one. It shows the deficit in democracy when we let small groups decide issues like this on behalf of the citizens of Dublin. Bob Geldof's humanitarian work is well documented and acknowledged the world over and he deserves more respect than being slagged off here with the liberal use of expletives.
    And this country deserves more from him imo
    I took no part in the 1916 memorials, but he was over here up reading poetry and talking about the spirit of the nation, next day he's over in the UK equating the 1916 guys with ISIS.

When the Scots had their vote on independence he was back up warning them not to leave, he spoke about how there was nothing in Dublin and Ireland and he had to leave, stay in the UK or end up like Ireland was his message.

Then he says he's a proud Dubliner. I've read his books, I've listened to him many times, I've very very little evidence that he is even remotely proud to be from Dublin or Irish.

The guys voted to not put him back on the list and indicated that they were taking her good self off the list anyway, he returned it, now he wants it back.

Give him all the humanitarian awards you want, but he's not proud of his heritage IMO, not like the way U2 come across. This award does not sit well on him. He's aligned himself with another country, that's his decision, but don't pretend to be proud to be a Dubliner. Try saying a few nice things about it instead if jumping on a bandwagon putting himself as the face of a decision that appears as if it was already going to be made anyway.
    He could have found out under the radar and turned it into a positive thing by supporting it and then saying he was proud of the decision. Now it's done anyway sandwiched between two incidents bringing attention on him.

If he was giving it up so be it, give it up. Be a man about it. He made the decision, if he left Dublin because there was nothing in it for him, again so be it, knock Ireland in the UK, accept a knighthood become a citizen of another country, again all within his rights but don't wiz on our leg and tell us it's raining Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

railer201 wrote: »
    It's hard to judge public opinion on the basis of one poll, but it would appear that public opinion might be on Geldof's side on this one. It shows the deficit in democracy when we let small groups decide issues like this on behalf of the citizens of Dublin. Bob Geldof's humanitarian work is well documented and acknowledged the world over and he deserves more respect than being slagged off here with the liberal use of expletives.

He disrespected his home town by holding his award to ransom and putting his conscience on a pedestal above anybody else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Bob they've taken your freedom of Dublin City back....

Ahhhhhh for f@#k sake, your f#@*%n joking roite? I don't f%&*#n believe this, this is f%*#@n shoite roite..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Stoner wrote: »
    And this country deserves more from him imo
    I took no part in the 1916 memorials, but he was over here up reading poetry and talking about the spirit of the nation, next day he's over in the UK equating the 1916 guys with ISIS.

When the Scots had their vote on independence he was back up warning them not to leave, he spoke about how there was nothing in Dublin and Ireland and he had to leave, stay in the UK or end up like Ireland was his message.

Then he says he's a proud Dubliner. I've read his books, I've listened to him many times, I've very very little evidence that he is even remotely proud to be from Dublin or Irish.

The guys voted to not put him back on the list and indicated that they were taking her good self off the list anyway, he returned it, now he wants it back.

Give him all the humanitarian awards you want, but he's not proud of his heritage IMO, not like the way U2 come across. This award does not sit well on him. He's aligned himself with another country, that's his decision, but don't pretend to be proud to be a Dubliner. Try saying a few nice things about it instead if jumping on a bandwagon putting himself as the face of a decision that appears as if it was already going to be made anyway.
    He could have found out under the radar and turned it into a positive thing by supporting it and then saying he was proud of the decision. Now it's done anyway sandwiched between two incidents bringing attention on him.

If he was giving it up so be it, give it up. Be a man about it. He made the decision, if he left Dublin because there was nothing in it for him, again so be it, knock Ireland in the UK, accept a knighthood become a citizen of another country, again all within his rights but don't wiz on our leg and tell us it's raining Bob.
    https://www.joe.ie/news/bob-geldof-draws-comparison-between-1916-rising-leaders-and-jihadi-suicide-bombers-in-pakistan-537708

Bob Geldof has compared the tactics of the leaders of the 1916 Rising to those used by Jihadi suicide bombers in attacks that claimed the lives of 73 people in Pakistan last weekend.
    Geldof made the comments in an interview with Event Magazine that accompanied today’s Mail on Sunday, which was published on the same day that a remembrance wall was unveiled at Glasnevin Cemetery in memory of all those who died in the 1916 Rising 100 years ago.
    Using the argument that the 1916 leaders martyred themselves in a bid to inspire others to take up arms, Geldof drew comparisons between the 1916 leaders and the suicide bombers responsible for the deaths of 73 people and injuries to hundreds more at a Christian festival in Lahore last weekend.
    geldof.jpg
    'They [the Irish rebels] started writing these letters [to be read afterwards] which show clearly they knew "The only thing that will come out of this is that we get shot, we get to be martyrs, that'll spur another generation," Geldof is quoted saying on the Daily Mail website, which carries extracts of his interview in Event Magazine.
    “What's admirable about that, if you also don't admire the guy who's just walked into Pakistan and blown up 73 people at a Christian carnival in Lahore? What's the difference?
    “'People say, 'That's outrageous, it's not the same thing.' Excuse me?'”
    Geldof was then asked if the modern Islamic suicide bomber morally resembles the Irish rebel in the Post Office, to which he replied: “It does.”
    Commenting further on the Rising, the subsequent effect it had on Irish political life and how it is viewed by Irish people today, Geldof said: “You dignify it by saying it was martyrdom.
    “If it's grievous mortal sin to commit suicide, why is it a lesser sin to hurl yourself upon a willing bayonet? Why is that a martyrdom? So much rests on this myth. How many murders have been sanctioned in its name? F*** off!”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GIVE US ME ****ING FREEDOM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In fairness Aung San Suu Kyi deserves to have the freedom of the city revoked for her (in)actions over the horrible ethnic cleansing in Myanmar but U2 and Geldof are being pontificating idiots full of their own self-importance.

Cringeworthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JupiterKid wrote: »
    In fairness Aung San Suu Kyi deserves to have the freedom of the city revoked for her (in)actions over the horrible ethnic cleansing in Myanmar .

Yeah I bet she'll think twice about her policies with that massive smackdown from Dublin.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Mannix Flynn seconded the motion to take Geldof's name off the Freedom of the City list but in the same breadth wants to propose a motion to give it back to him :):):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Because Scotland is a feeling. England is a feeling. Wales is a feeling, Ireland a feeling. But the United Kingdom is one of the greatest ideas for the modern age.

I hope to god they don't give the bollix back the award

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobs indignation over this has really cheered me up.

• Advertisement

mbur wrote: »
    At last Joe Duffy did something useful on liveline today. He ran a 5 minute opinion poll to see if Bob should get his scroll back. There were 6000 text replies with 70% of the opinion that the Council should give it back to him. 30% said no. So there quantified is the begrudgery level in this fair land. 30% Nationally. What a nice Nation we (mostly) are.

Not exactly the same and a funny wording, but the Indo is also running a poll on 'who is being more childish, Bob or DCC'

Bob currently leading with 63%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

My concern...well not concern...i couldn't care really...but I hope the council don't have another vote to give it back because I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to accept it.

I think it's hilarious what's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Bobs indignation over this has really cheered me up.

Ohh, Christmas early. :)

They called his bluff, hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is the story that just keeps giving. It turns out that Mr Geldof, KBE retains his freedom of the City of London. It also turns out that he shares this honour with a certain genocidal maniac from Burma. Guess which one it is.

https://extra.ie/news/irish-news/not-hand-back-freedom-london-award-bob

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

southstar wrote: »
    Just looked at the parties represented on the council... Bunch of feckin crackpots as expected..Enough attitude and narrow mixed ideology that would leave the Catholic church of the 50s in the shade

What parties on the council lock women up, many of them rape victims, for having a kid outside marriage?

stimpson wrote: »
    This is the story that just keeps giving. It turns out that Mr Geldof, KBE retains his freedom of the City of London. It also turns out that he shares this honour with a certain genocidal maniac from Burma. Guess which one it is.

https://extra.ie/news/irish-news/not-hand-back-freedom-london-award-bob

God he is just such a bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

[url

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What parties on the council lock women up, many of them rape victims, for having a kid outside marriage?

Is it People Before Profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

6700+ allegedly killed so far in the so called "genocide". I think Aung San Suu Kyi has realised, after years under house arrest which achieved nothing, except make liberal westerners feel warm and fuzzy about her, that she may be able to achieve more lasting change for her country by reluctantly cooperating with the Junta, who don't give a fock what the west thinks. Part of this means not speaking out against atrocities which I have no doubt sickens her. Geldof however with his black and white view of the world can't even see this. His bullying attempt to blackmail Dublin City Council into recinding her award has laughably backfired on him. People are sick of him. He has no concept of unintended consequences. He's also a hypocrite because he never took those Syrian refugees into his own home as promised. Eh Bob?

• Advertisement
Advertisement