Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Always crazy negativity in this thread loll , any time when the weigh ins are on?

Most of the cretins who'll buy a bottle of that stuff won't buy another after this weekend.

That said CmcG as a brand has a massive reach which even the finest whiskey distillers in the world could only dream of, but the people who appreciate a good whiskey won't ever touch the stuff either.

I think he'll do ok form it for awhile, and so will Bushmills.

I'm a very big whiskey drinker, I love love love whiskey and I sometimes spend a pretty penny on it. I bought a bottle of proper 12 out of curiousity and its not a terrible whiskey if I am being honest, its basically just the 20 euro bushmills (which isn't terrible) repackaged into a nicer bottle and a 35€ price tag. After trying it the once though I won't bother with it again, I'll go for a nice green spot for an extra few bucks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Wait, JK is loaded????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

VW 1 wrote: »
    The man has become a millionaire from being a professional comedian for over twenty five years, how is he deluded about the fact he is a good comedian!?

He made his money from Fear Factor - he's spoken about this. If he was reliant on his comedy career he would be f*cked.

As I said, his interviewees are often good on the podcast, even though he's a bit of a conspiracy theorist and "bro scientist".

But he is a terrible comedian. I remember him manically laughing at his own "jokes" when he interviewed Bill Burr (a genuinely good comedian), who just seemed embarrassed for him.

Do you think he is funny? Please, post a link to a good bit of comedy he does as I'd love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

I'm a very big whiskey drinker, I love love love whiskey and I sometimes spend a pretty penny on it. I bought a bottle of proper 12 out of curiousity and its not a terrible whiskey if I am being honest, its basically just the 20 euro bushmills (which isn't terrible) repackaged into a nicer bottle and a 35€ price tag. After trying it the once though I won't bother with it again, I'll go for a nice green spot for an extra few bucks.

Crazy to think that people are will to pay twice the price because of mcgregors brand. Can you imagine him handing a glass of it to the Fertitas and telling them how tasty it is and them boys just knowing it's the most basic of the basic.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Wait, JK is loaded????

Surely as Conors coach he is getting a % of Conors fight purse? That is surely a pretty penny and his book did very well.

PLOPS wrote: »
    Crazy to think that people are will to pay twice the price because of mcgregors brand. Can you imagine him handing a glass of it to the Fertitas and telling them how tasty it is and them boys just knowing it's the most basic of the basic.

Do you believe Conor actually drinks proper 12 when he is chilling out in his house? Is he feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

have any whiskey fans here tried it? I enjoyed one contribution on this thread regarding the colour of it, and the fact its possibly darkened to look aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

He made his money from Fear Factor - he's spoken about this. If he was reliant on his comedy career he would be f*cked.

As I said, his interviewees are often good on the podcast, even though he's a bit of a conspiracy theorist and "bro scientist".

But he is a terrible comedian. I remember him manically laughing at his own "jokes" when he interviewed Bill Burr (a genuinely good comedian), who just seemed embarrassed for him.

Do you think he is funny? Please, post a link to a good bit of comedy he does as I'd love to see it.

He plays large theatres and smaller arenas all over America so I’d say he does just fine from his comedy, that and the Netflix cash, but who needs facts.

I didn’t like any of his earlier specials, I found a couple of jokes on his last one funny and this current special is his best yet.

He shouts too much for my liking and isn’t very subtle but to say he hasn’t a successful comedy career is utter rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rogan made his money from News Radio and Fear Factor. He makes more money now from the podcast than he ever did form comedy. He makes good money now from Netflix for his specials and fills big rooms but tbh he's more famous as the UFC and Fear Factor or the Podcast guy that the comedian.

His comedy is ok. It's very dated in style though. There's no real insight into anything, very little originality, it's a bit hacky but he's far from the worst.

Bryan Callen is the worst. His comedy is fookin cancer. The man is an absolute moron to boot.

Can't imagine Schaub is much good either tbh.

I have up listening to Rogans podcast because he just recycles the same bargain basement pseudo intellectuals every few weeks. Kermit, Shapiro, Harris, repeat, occasionally someone interesting like Musk or Tulsi Gabbard, but mostly idiots with decent vocabularies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I like Callen, he's great in The Goldberg's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Do you believe Conor actually drinks proper 12 when he is chilling out in his house? Is he feck!

Have to give it to him, he's selling it well. He's basically standing there with a standard bottle of Bushmills and selling it as if it's Gold label. Long term can it sell at that price though, I can see Dublin Ballers buying it for the Instagram photos, but can they keep paying double the price?

Just watched Khabib vs Barbosa again, mcgregor has 2 mins to do the damage, otherwise Khabib overwhelms.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I like Callen, he's great in The Goldberg's :)

He had to be good at something. His standup is atrocious. And his podcast is painful. The dropping knowledge thing is cringe inducing because he hasn't a ****ing notion what he's talking about, ever. And the constant homoeroticism is weird as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love whiskey too, but I'm not a whiskey snob (in fact I've just finished an evening of reading, listening to RTE Lyric FM and a few glasses of Paddy's ~ so I'm not afraid of getting down & dirty lol).

I used to drink Green Spot, but I'll be honest and say when the recession came my tastes in whiskey's got cheaper and I really can't justify a bottle of Green Spot or anything close to it.

These days if I'm going to treat myself (Christmas, or a large hint for a present) it'll be Jameson Caskmates Stout whiskey, I think its beautiful.

Unless I'm given one free the last Irish whiskey to touch my lips will be a Proper Twelve, I'll leave that for the gimps.

Rogan made his money from News Radio and Fear Factor. He makes more money now from the podcast than he ever did form comedy. He makes good money now from Netflix for his specials and fills big rooms but tbh he's more famous as the UFC and Fear Factor or the Podcast guy that the comedian.

His comedy is ok. It's very dated in style though. There's no real insight into anything, very little originality, it's a bit hacky but he's far from the worst.

Bryan Callen is the worst. His comedy is fookin cancer. The man is an absolute moron to boot.

Can't imagine Schaub is much good either tbh.

I have up listening to Rogans podcast because he just recycles the same bargain basement pseudo intellectuals every few weeks. Kermit, Shapiro, Harris, repeat, occasionally someone interesting like Musk or Tulsi Gabbard, but mostly idiots with decent vocabularies.
    Did you ever hear Callen ranting about how its a conspiracy that netflix wont give him his own special, Callen ranting about how is one of the funniest men alive, how he honed his craft, Schaub calling him one of the best etc etc etc :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Callens stand up sucks so bad, the guy just isn't funny.

Did you ever hear Callen ranting about how its a conspiracy that netflix wont give him his own special, Callen ranting about how is one of the funniest men alive, how he honed his craft, Schaub calling him one of the best etc etc etc :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Callens stand up sucks so bad, they guy just ins't funny.

Jaysus. I haven't. I'd say that's comedy gold, ironically enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Definitely not a fan of his comedy. I realise he got a huce amount of money due to fear factoe, but he also earns minimum of 25k a week from comedy when touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here we go................... Well, he we go re: the scheduled time anyway.

Vudgie wrote: »
    He plays large theatres and smaller arenas all over America so I’d say he does just fine from his comedy, that and the Netflix cash, but who needs facts.

I didn’t like any of his earlier specials, I found a couple of jokes on his last one funny and this current special is his best yet.

He shouts too much for my liking and isn’t very subtle but to say he hasn’t a successful comedy career is utter rubbish.

He's on Netflix off the back of being well-known in other areas such as Fear Factor, UFC and his podcast. There are people who will watch his stand up just because they know who he is, not because he is good. He's done quite well by spreading himself out over a number of platforms, but exposure or financial success doesn't necessarily equate to quality of art form. Westlife sold lots of records and made millions for themselves over the years. They could easily fill out Croke Park. Hardly the Beatles though, are they?

So as I said, if he thinks he's a good comedian he's deluded!

He's on Netflix off the back of being well-known in other areas such as Fear Factor, UFC and his podcast. There are people who will watch his stand up just because they know who he is, not because he is good. He's done quite well by spreading himself out over a number of platforms, but exposure or financial success doesn't necessarily equate to quality of art form. Westlife sold lots of records and made millions for themselves over the years. They could easily fill out Croke Park. Hardly the Beatles though, are they?

I dont think any of the comedians in Joe Rogans stable are good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Westlife broke some of the beatles sales records and actually believed that made them good!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Just re-watched Khabib v Barboza. ****ing hell Khabib's a beast. Doesn't give the opponent a second to set anything up

If McGregor can pull this one out, it'll be monumental

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

Are these ****ers late again?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

From listening to interviews with Khabib he actually seems like a decent likeable guy. I want Conor to win, but would like to see Khabib do well out of this all the same.

Westlife broke some of the beatles sales records and actually believed that made them good!

yeah! it's exactly why I made the comparison. Gas.

I can picture Nicky Byrne laying down a 'vocal' to their cover of Uptown Girl and thinking to himself " this pisses on the white album!"

JoseJones wrote: »
    From listening to interviews with Khabib he actually seems like a decent likeable guy. I want Conor to win, but would like to see Khabib do well out of this all the same.

Doesn't seem likeable to me, head clean off as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Comparing him to Bill Burr is not very fair imo. Burr just sold out Madison Square Garden, he's up there with Chappelle as one of the greatest comedians of all time.

It's like saying James Milner is a terrible footballer because he's not as good as Ronaldo or Messi. You can't hold everyone to a standard of only being the absolute best there is.

His new special is very good and stacks up just fine. And I'm familiar with basically every Irish comedian, most UK comedians and plenty of American so have a decent sample size to go on.

He made money from News Radio and Fear Factor in the past. He makes his money now from his Podcast and selling out big theatres as a comedian. He's doing well enough that he was happy to walk away from doing the UFC commentary, but they ended up giving him more money, with less shows, and only in the US to keep him on board.

(I sound like a fanboy :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Lewis Volkov jees!

Cue 3 pages of "ah man Khabib is rattled" and the other such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Jaysus i stayed awake for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement