Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

Researching about Aldo, yes, he had an interim match against Edgar, and Conor was stripped of the FW belt after winning the LW belt, and Aldo was reinstated as FW champion without fighting a unification of the FW belt against Conor. Conor was stripped before being able to defend the FW, and Aldo was a lemon to avoid another fight against Conor. The hypocrisy of the UFC is that Aldo was given another title shot against Holloway, yet Conor wasn’t allowed to make history by becoming a defender of two divisions. I go back to what I said....... at any given point of his UFC career, he had the capability to make history upon history, but the UFC has stepped in numerous times and pigeonholed him to cap him off at a certain price value.

The UFC does not want Conor McGregor on their payroll. He is not pricing himself out of anything. He wants the fights, but he wants to be paid his worth and what he is owed. He has made the UFC loads of cash. The only greedy ones in this deal is the UFC. A pay raise for Conor is a pay raise for all fighters in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

Double post..... sorry, I don’t know how to delete! I apologize, newbie sloppiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    196 was originally suppose to be 197 in Brazil against RDA, who was then a lightweight. RDA pulled out, Aldo refused the fight, and Edgar refused the fight. 197 became a cancelled card and became 196 in Las Vegas.
    Your recollection is a little fuzzy here too.

197 was initially announced at Brazil. But it was moved to Vegas very early (December) before Conor v RDA was added. Cain v Werdum was 196 in Brazil, but when the main event was dropped it came a fight night card, the next PPV, 197 in Vegas rolled back to 196. Conor v RDA was always in Vegas.
    CM agreed to the welterweight fight against Diaz, a FORMER lightweight fighter, who hadn’t fought in ages, to make the fight happen. He could of simply refused, like the previous 3 fighters.
    If memory serves, Dana was trying to get it made at 160 and it was Conor who said "Tell him it's 170". Conor was the first one to put WW on the table.
    He could of even refused to do the 2nd fight at welterweight and demanded a LW fight against Diaz, which would of suited them both. But, CM took it at WW again, but it would of been a much different fight if it was a LW.
    Again, this is backwards.
    It was Conor who insisted the rematch was at 170.

I don’t think he got leeway at all. He was ridiculed relentlessly for tapping out. He gassed at 202, but so did Nate. As far as the MayMac fight, he went 10 rounds in a boxing match against a 20 year veteran with an undefeated record.
    He got stick for tapping, and loading up his power shots wasting energy. Nobody rattled on about a cardio issue.
    By the round 3 in the rematch when people said "holy **** he gassing again". They were genuinely shocked after all the prep he supposedly did.

He lasted 10 vrs FM, but was gassed in the 5th.
    Yes, he has a cardio issue. But he has been training hard on his cardio and his recent fights reflect that improvement.
    What recent fights show improvement? :confused:
    I distinctly remember that CM was stripped of the title pretty quickly after winning it, and that it was handed right back to Aldo and that UFC reinstated him as the undefeated FW champ. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was the initial handling. I will check it out and double check, just going off of memory.
    You are wrong.
    Aldo fought Edgar for the interim while CM rematches Aldo. If Edgar won he'd have been undisputed once CM vacated (contractually had to I believe).
    Khabib’s walking weight is at middleweight, minimum. He should be fighting professionally at WW or MW.
    Forget divisions for a second.
    What weight in lbs do you think he enters the cage at.

Researching about Aldo, yes, he had an interim match against Edgar, and Conor was stripped of the FW belt after winning the LW belt, and Aldo was reinstated as FW champion without fighting a unification of the FW belt against Conor. Conor was stripped before being able to defend the FW, and Aldo was a lemon to avoid another fight against Conor. The hypocrisy of the UFC is that Aldo was given another title shot against Holloway, yet Conor wasn’t allowed to make history by becoming a defender of two divisions.
    Aldo was only raised to undisputed champ only because Conor vacated. That was 13 months ago. Even if he wasn't stripped, history has proven he wasn't making history by defending two belts. He hasn't defended the one he still hold yet.
    I go back to what I said....... at any given point of his UFC career, he had the capability to make history upon history, but the UFC has stepped in numerous times and pigeonholed him to cap him off at a certain price value.
    I've no idea what that even means.
    Double weight champ, fight with Floyd, the UFC allowed it all. What have they block that he tried to do (not defending a belt anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone know how to use ignore functionality on the mobile website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As far as the MayMac fight, he went 10 rounds in a boxing match against a 20 year veteran with an undefeated record.

Yes, but let's be honest, it was not some mad busy type affair. Mayweather was kind of shut down for the first three rds. The pace was decent, but far from savage. Conor's engine was ok. Only ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

My brain hurts

bmcc10 wrote: »
    My brain hurts

Not as much as Conor's brain would hurt if Khabib got a hauld of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Conor can 100% spark Khabib. No doubt about it - but he'll have to hit him on the way in to stop him shooting. Khabib's grappling is insane. I don't think Conor could last 5 full rounds stopping takedown after takedown, especially with suspect cardio.

If Khabib gets him to the mat, like Mendes and Diaz managed, then he won't be getting back up.

If Conor keeps it standing, he'll knock him out inside 3 rounds.

My prediction: Conor v Tony to unify, then Khabib fights the winner. Conor v Tony around March, Khabib in the late summer/autumn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Conor can 100% spark Khabib. No doubt about it - but he'll have to hit him on the way in to stop him shooting. Khabib's grappling is insane. I don't think Conor could last 5 full rounds stopping takedown after takedown, especially with suspect cardio.

If Khabib gets him to the mat, like Mendes and Diaz managed, then he won't be getting back up.

If Conor keeps it standing, he'll knock him out inside 3 rounds.

My prediction: Conor v Tony to unify, then Khabib fights the winner. Conor v Tony around March, Khabib in the late summer/autumn.

When did Diaz get him to the mat? In the first fight Conor shot for the take down and in the second fight I only remember Diaz getting the takedown in the last few seconds of the 5th round when it didn't really matter any more.

• Advertisement

When did Diaz get him to the mat?
    the 5th round

:rolleyes:

Diaz doesn't even play a takedown game. Conor got tired and ended up on the mat. Don't pretend like Khabib's wrestling won't tire him out quicker than a slugfest with Diaz. It's one thing to stuff a takedown attempt every now and then, another thing entirely to stop a constant barrage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Eddie is 5 ft 6 or 7 though (defo not 5 ft 9 as advertised). Ferguson and Khabib are 5'10 and 5'11. Different stopping those takedowns.

Two fascinating fights should they happen though. Neither will want to stand up and trade with Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If I was Conor and planning on fighting Khabib I'd seriously look at bringing someone like Ben Askren in. He's the only player who has a similar game to Khabib. His folkstyle wrestling base is all about top control and controlling the hands. He like Khabib, will avoid the traditional BJJ meta and will pass up traditional opportunities like taking the back. Doubt it would ever happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Conor would probably have to swallow pride and use a better team in the states with or without Kavanagh. Rocky in LA moment :)

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Conor would probably have to swallow pride and use a better team in the states with or without Kavanagh. Rocky in LA moment :)

What constitutes a better team? SBG have been willing to bring in others when they felt training partners were lacking. It was Kav who organized Danis to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lukker- wrote: »
    What constitutes a better team? SBG have been willing to bring in others when they felt training partners were lacking. It was Kav who organized Danis to come in.

In my opinion, a better team would be one who aren’t afraid to criticise their fighter when needed, for the sake of his own improvement. You can’t surround yourself with a bunch of yes men and expect to grow as a fighter, just look at Ronda Rousey. Conor is already levels above her but he could be the GOAT if he actually humbled himself for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Researching about Aldo, yes, he had an interim match against Edgar, and Conor was stripped of the FW belt after winning the LW belt, and Aldo was reinstated as FW champion without fighting a unification of the FW belt against Conor. Conor was stripped before being able to defend the FW, and Aldo was a lemon to avoid another fight against Conor. The hypocrisy of the UFC is that Aldo was given another title shot against Holloway, yet Conor wasn’t allowed to make history by becoming a defender of two divisions. I go back to what I said....... at any given point of his UFC career, he had the capability to make history upon history, but the UFC has stepped in numerous times and pigeonholed him to cap him off at a certain price value.

The UFC does not want Conor McGregor on their payroll. He is not pricing himself out of anything. He wants the fights, but he wants to be paid his worth and what he is owed. He has made the UFC loads of cash. The only greedy ones in this deal is the UFC. A pay raise for Conor is a pay raise for all fighters in the UFC.

spiderman.gif

tluyge8ipoxgkskqkvuc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Quantity of top level people Conor needs top class guys fresh when he has burnt through 4 other top guys in earlier rounds. All top take down guys who are relentless. If he is serious about stopping Khabib he can't expect to only do it with his feet and fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just can't see a guy whos earned 100m in 4 years having the motivation to beat a hungry Russian who isn't worth the price of McGregors shoe collection.

Mickey knows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

:rolleyes:

Diaz doesn't even play a takedown game. Conor got tired and ended up on the mat. Don't pretend like Khabib's wrestling won't tire him out quicker than a slugfest with Diaz. It's one thing to stuff a takedown attempt every now and then, another thing entirely to stop a constant barrage of them.

Why not quote the whole thing? I said apart from the last few seconds of the 5th round when it didn't really matter any more. Why would he bother fighting the take down when realistically there was nothing Diaz could do with it? He wasn't going to sub him or get a TKO in a couple of seconds so the takedown didn't really matter. That takedown wasn't going to change the outcome of the fight so there was no real need to defend it. Did Diaz land any other take downs in that fight? Genuine question as I can't remember.

martyos121 wrote: »
    In my opinion, a better team would be one who aren’t afraid to criticise their fighter when needed, for the sake of his own improvement. You can’t surround yourself with a bunch of yes men and expect to grow as a fighter, just look at Ronda Rousey. Conor is already levels above her but he could be the GOAT if he actually humbled himself for once.

They aren't life coaches. If Conor decides to fight again, they will help him improve his game. He has to be willing. Any team he would join in the US would likely pander more to him. He's gonna be the big dog regardless of what team he is with, which isn't much different to how other gyms operate already.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Quantity of top level people Conor needs top class guys fresh when he has burnt through 4 other top guys in earlier rounds. All top take down guys who are relentless. If he is serious about stopping Khabib he can't expect to only do it with his feet and fists.

Why can't they bring them in? Honestly most fighters in the US wouldn't be able to hold a candle to how Khabib wrestles, you are talking about collegiate wrestlers mainly who learned BJJ in their twenties.

The only one who springs to mind is Askren, as he adapted his folkstyle wrestling for MMA, rather than trying to supplement his wrestling with BJJ. He'd probably be better suited getting some Sambo guys who are looking to cross into MMA. Khabib has dismantled every traditional wrestler he has come up against, many if not all have been US based, so it hasn't do much good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

They aren't life coaches. If Conor decides to fight again, they will help him improve his game. He has to be willing. Any team he would join in the US would likely pander more to him. He's gonna be the big dog regardless of what team he is with, which isn't much different to how other gyms operate already.

This is the same roadblock that killed Rhonda. She thought she was invincible, thought she didn't have to train hard was surrounded by Yes-Men and enablers. Then she goes and suffers 2 first round Ko losses. Because while she fooling around her opponents were putting in the work and figured out how to stop her.

While Conor is on his latest Booze and Coke fest and sleeping it off because he thinks he doesn't have to work hard anymore his potential opponents are putting in the work and figuring out how to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The whole needs a better gym full of killers to improve doesn't seem guaranteed to me if we look at who some of the champs. I could be wrong but I don't think any of the below train with any of the major gyms. They seem to build it around themselves and bring in different guys they need.

DJ - Nope. I've heard him say Hume is his main partner sometimes.
    TJ - Nope. Just started a new gym
    Max - Nope. In Hawaii with a few guys
    Conor/Tony - Nope. SBG and Tony bounces around places
    Whittaker - Nope. Not sure where he is tbh. I assume Australia.
    Stipe - Nope. Seems to be mostly in Cleveland and moves around/brings guys in.

Having a gym pretty much dedicated to your needs and requirements has to be a bonus. You can pick and choose who you spar with (Rory jacking up Mcgregor's leg with a ridiculous takedown comes to mind) so you avoid people doing stupid ****.

Fromvert wrote: »
    DJ - Nope. I've heard him say Hume is his main partner sometimes.
    TJ - Nope. Just started a new gym
    Max - Nope. In Hawaii with a few guys
    Conor/Tony - Nope. SBG and Tony bounces around places
    Whittaker - Nope. Not sure where he is tbh. I assume Australia.
    Stipe - Nope. Seems to be mostly in Cleveland and moves around/brings guys in.
    Yup. Whitaker is in western Sydney, not a particular big gym. And the other Sydney based fighters are at other gyms.
    DC and Woodley are the only guys at "big" teams. Although there's a case to be made that 10th Planet HQ is big in terms of Tony's grappling style.
    But you are right, most of the current champs are at gyms where they are comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

If anything big gyms can lead to bigger egos clashing, sure look at colby doing damage to his own gym starting fights left right and centre.

ASOT wrote: »
    If anything big gyms can lead to bigger egos clashing, sure look at colby doing damage to his own gym starting fights left right and centre.
    If fair he'd still be as arsehole if he trained out his back garden on his tobler.

Why not quote the whole thing? I said apart from the last few seconds of the 5th round when it didn't really matter any more. Why would he bother fighting the take down when realistically there was nothing Diaz could do with it? He wasn't going to sub him or get a TKO in a couple of seconds so the takedown didn't really matter. That takedown wasn't going to change the outcome of the fight so there was no real need to defend it. Did Diaz land any other take downs in that fight? Genuine question as I can't remember.

I never specified if it mattered or not. I just stated that Diaz took him down. You questioned it, then immediately answered your own question in the same post. It was bizarre.

Diaz took Conor down because Conor was tired at the end of the 5th round. We could argue it was because of the weight class? The five rounds? The gameplan? Regardless, it happened. And it happened in the Mayweather fight, too. (Granted, a different sport, but one that requires cardio none the less.)

Khabib will tire Conor out long before the 5th round because his style of wrestling/takedown game is different and more intense than Diaz, who will happily box his opponents. Khabib will put you on the mat and keep you there. That's his whole game and he is exceptionally good at it.

If Diaz can take him down, Khabib can take him down. It was a simple statement. It has nothing to do with Diaz not getting him down for long, it's the fact that it happened. Enough time + pressure from Diaz led to a takedown. That came too late for Diaz, who lost the round and the fight, but I believe if given the chance to wrestle, Khabib will have him down sooner rather than later. Then Khabib smesh.

Mendes took Conor down at will as well. We know Conor had a knee injury which may have played into this, and Conor ultimately won that fight by fantastic KO after surviving on the bottom until a guillotine attempt from Mendes gave him the opportunity to escape, but it was still unnerving to see him wrestled like that. (Side note: The guillotine is JK's fave submission, so it was the perfectly wrong option for Mendes given just how often Conor must've seen it. And to quote Ryan Hall when he was over here teaching; "Well, Mendes went for a guillotine, only his jiujitsu isn't very good" :D)

Conor's left hand being introduced to Khabib's temple so he goes all Eddie Alvarez on him and gets slept early is how I see the fight going, personally. Khabib gets hit. A lot. And every fighter says that they're in wars in the gym, they've fought tough guys, yada yada yada, and yet, they all crumble after that left hand starts to land. Conor landing the left hand is as sure as Khabib is at taking him down. The question is who'll be first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Inviere

Conor landing the left hand is as sure as Khabib is at taking him down. The question is who'll be first?

That sums it all up perfectly, & there's no way to know other than the fight going ahead :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement