Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I imagine it just started out as a joke and has grown legs, it's gone a bit OTT now, with the belt and The Rock etc.

Still, it'll be a good scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I imagine it just started out as a joke and has grown legs, it's gone a bit OTT now, with the belt and The Rock etc.

Still, it'll be a good scrap.

Could be the scrap of the year yeah.

Suppose its no harm promoting the fight that way with two fighters who both have double figures in the loss column.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Who have you lads got winning it ?
    I think Masvidal might end up taking Diaz down and trying to smother him after 2 rounds, I just see it being close and by the end of round 2. middle of 3 Diaz starting to dominate the stand up ,

What's Jorge's ground game like? Nate works well off his back so he'd need to be careful.

I could see him trying to outpoint Nate, otherwise he'll be overwhelmed when Nate keeps that pace for the full fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Nal wrote: »
    Could be the scrap of the year yeah.

Suppose its no harm promoting the fight that way with two fighters who both have double figures in the loss column.

Only because Masvidal has way more fights though. 34-13 is a pretty good record. Diaz is also better than his record might suggest to some, he's fought a lot of very good opponents. Really looking forward to the fight, first Maia v Askren, now this.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Only because Masvidal has way more fights though. 34-13 is a pretty good record. Diaz is also better than his record might suggest to some, he's fought a lot of very good opponents. Really looking forward to the fight, first Maia v Askren, now this.

Yeah they're both hard as fook. Should be great. 34 losses between them which is a lot but not one proper KO in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What's Jorge's ground game like? Nate works well off his back so he'd need to be careful.

I could see him trying to outpoint Nate, otherwise he'll be overwhelmed when Nate keeps that pace for the full fight.

His wrestling is suppose to be very good , Nate has been held down before by bigger opponents I think it could happen again,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Excellent break-down of his fighting style here:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

I dunno why but I honestly think Masvidal wins with ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He kept Maia at bay for 2 out of 3 rounds if i remember correctly. Maia got his back the second round, but couldn't do much with it. Nate is good on the ground, but he's not Maia.

Jorge has been pretty quiet about the belt. I guess he's treating it as the novelty it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

xtal191 wrote: »
    I dunno why but I honestly think Masvidal wins with ease

Probably because Nates not or never has been as good or as exciting a fighter that is been made out.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Probably because Nates not or never has been as good or as exciting a fighter that is been made out.

Indeed. The McGregor effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bmcc10 wrote: »

He's not an elite fighter, he'd never win the LW or WW belt but he's durable and very hard to finish, excellent BJJ and entertaining stand up fighter. Personality aside those 2 McGregor fights were a great watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

derfderf wrote: »
    He kept Maia at bay for 2 out of 3 rounds if i remember correctly. Maia got his back the second round, but couldn't do much with it. Nate is good on the ground, but he's not Maia.

Jorge has been pretty quiet about the belt. I guess he's treating it as the novelty it is.

Jorge has his eyes firmly set on the real belt. Dana must be praying for a Colby victory in December.

Colby vs Masvidal or Diaz would print money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Assume this fight is on Free BT Sports - as in no need or order the PPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Assume this fight is on Free BT Sports - as in no need or order the PPV?

Ya its on BT Sports 1 thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya its on BT Sports 1 thankfully

If you only have eir (like myself) then is there an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

D'Agger wrote: »
    If you only have eir (like myself) then is there an alternative?

No it's only broadcast here on BT Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Should be interesting.
    It doesn't pique my interest in the least.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    It doesn't pique my interest in the least.
    Just as well people can have different opinions so.

I'm also looking forward to what Tom has to say about the split from SBG, as it hasn't really been elaborated on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tazzimus wrote:
    I'm also looking forward to what Tom has to say about the split from SBG, as it hasn't really been elaborated on much.
    These things happen every week in this game. People fall out, want to go different ways about things. He is obviously going to say what's best for him and maybe he believes it. It isn't going to change things though so it's of no interest to me.

NB: Only read if you are interested in subject, may not interest everyone.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1192038920197816321?s=19

And there we have it. Anyone who ran an SBG gym was summoned for a meeting where they were told they would have to pay 5k annual fees going forward, handed a form to sign by a solicitor representing sbg and Tom/Chris refused and started their own gym.

https://twitter.com/TomKingKF/status/1192143399878561792?s=19

https://twitter.com/TomKingKF/status/1192141822610608130?s=19

https://twitter.com/TomKingKF/status/1192144460232179713?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Thats very interesting but I had assumed that every gym would be paying something. After all you are trading with their name but 5k a year is way too much.I assumed it was 500 euro max!! Of course this means that every gym with the name is actually paying it!

One of the comments on twitter is hilarious. Someone said was it Conor in the video saying "5 Gs Baby!!"

I can see why guys started their own gyms

Figured it was something to do with affiliation fees, among other things.
    Only a matter of time before the fee went up, considering the popularity of SBG. Wonder do GB charge a similar fee, as they'd be bigger again I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just a further tweet about it. Seems a shabby way to treat people alright

https://twitter.com/TomKingKF/status/1192181835368927232?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thats very interesting but I had assumed that every gym would be paying something. After all you are trading with their name but 5k a year is way too much.I assumed it was 500 euro max!! Of course this means that every gym with the name is actually paying it!

One of the comments on twitter is hilarious. Someone said was it Conor in the video saying "5 Gs Baby!!"

I can see why guys started their own gyms

€500 per year is nothing though. 5k seems reasonable enough considering the brand recognition to casual MMA fans.

Seems he's more annoyed about how he was informed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

John Kavanagh is not popular this week. Hardly a coincidence this has surfaced the same week Paddy has been airing his grievances?

I think everyone has known the jist for a while, it just seems to be mentioned directly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Figured it was something to do with affiliation fees, among other things.
    Only a matter of time before the fee went up, considering the popularity of SBG. Wonder do GB charge a similar fee, as they'd be bigger again I would imagine.

GB have a similar fee. And much more aggressive polices generally. (you may have seen my post elsewhere)

500 is buttons for a business though. A single member pays about 1200-1500 in fees per year.
    I'm really surprised that there was no fee to begin with. That's unusual.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having a fee, but the way they've handled it is really bad.

And if 5k was the benchmark, it should have increased to this incrementally.

weemcd wrote: »
    John Kavanagh is not popular this week. Hardly a coincidence this has surfaced the same week Paddy has been airing his grievances?

I think everyone has known the jist for a while, it just seems to be mentioned directly now.

Looks like the first post from Tom king is a screenshot from Paddy's book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement