Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Didn't yer man from UFC (their anti doping guy) say they had to recalibrate testing thresholds as they were too sensitive?
    Thresholds are in relation to substances you can have out of comp or in permitted doses.
    If something is completely banned. The too sensitive angle is nonsense.

I agree it’s unlikely that Nate would be doping. But anyone that thinks it’s impossible that Nate could use PEDs is delusional. Anyone could. Simply reality of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    No, but it'd still be something people would bring up, regardless being clean or not. "Oh remember that time he was flagged by USADA"

He's just making sure people know he's not trying to hide anything by waiting for the UFC to announce it after the fight or that.

All he had to say was , I was flagged but I will prove I'm innocent,

No need for I'm not fighting nonsense poor aul Diaz brother always feel hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Leon Edwards has said he offered to stay ready but UFC said no.

https://twitter.com/Leon_edwardsmma/status/1187675704382636034

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he took nothing there's nothing to worry about it'll be all cleared up. no need for the dramatics ,
    You obviously haven't followed much of what usada do. If your name comes up they will make you jump through hoops even if it's pretty certain you are innocent. No fighter wants or needs that in the weeks before a fight. It could majorly hamper your preparation.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You obviously haven't followed much of what usada do. If your name comes up they will make you jump through hoops even if it's pretty certain you are innocent. No fighter wants or needs that in the weeks before a fight. It could majorly hamper your preparation.
    As they should tbh.
    If a fighter is caught with a banned substance in his body. He should want to clear his name.

The idea that 50% of positive tests are tainted supplements is :rolleyes: imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Leon Edwards has said he offered to stay ready but UFC said no.
    That sounds like he wanted to be a get paid standby, with that being rejected he's not gonna rush to their disposal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's hard to put any stock in the drug testing process post-Jones/ pico gramme fiasco. It's also hard to put stock in the fighters, too.

In any case, dare I say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

What do you think is more important to an athlete, being prepared for his next outing or going through a ridiculous process just so there is nothing bad said about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

In the words of Chael Sonnen 'I hugged Nate...I've never felt him so hard'

Hugely disappointing news if Nate does in fact withdraw from the fight with Masvidal. Unfortunately, that's the price to pay for having an attempt of Anti Doping in the UFC no matter how woeful it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

That sounds like he wanted to be a get paid standby, with that being rejected he's not gonna rush to their disposal now.

You get paid to be on standby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Officer999 wrote: »
    You get paid to be on standby?

Yeah they don't do it often obvs but last one I can think of was not even that long ago Volkanovski weighed in on point for the Holloway Edgar event. He didn't fight on the card.

Do you not read the thread redarmy? We are long past that information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

USADA, the UFC and a third party WADA accredited laboratory in Utah have all stated Nate didn't cheat.

He took a certified vegan organic supplement and when the labs tested two containers of it from the same batch as the ones he had been using they both showed the same substance in the same concentrations as his own stock.

Niel Magney had an issue with the same substance in the same levels in August apparently.

Nate is in New York, fight is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mad, if that can happy to Nate and his vegan supplements, it can happen to anyone. Others might just not be as lucky to be able to hold a card hostage like he did to get it resolved before the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

USADA, the UFC and a third party WADA accredited laboratory in Utah have all stated Nate didn't cheat.

He took a certified vegan organic supplement and when the labs tested two containers of it from the same batch as the ones he had been using they both showed the same substance in the same concentrations as his own stock.

Niel Magney had an issue with the same substance in the same levels in August apparently.

Nate is in New York, fight is going ahead.

Niel was suspended for 4 months though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

US2 wrote: »
    Niel was suspended for 4 months though.

But it was overturned and he was cleared of any wrong doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

In fairness to Nate you'd have to say he played that perfectly, refusing to follow due process and have the possibility of his reputation being tainted by even a provisional suspension before inevitably being cleared, or being named as having been flagged pre-fight at a later date or whatever.

Delighted the fight is still on, should be a fun one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    In fairness to Nate you'd have to say he played that perfectly, refusing to follow due process and have the possibility of his reputation being tainted by even a provisional suspension before inevitably being cleared, or being named as having been flagged pre-fight at a later date or whatever.

Delighted the fight is still on, should be a fun one.

Fair play to Nate for throwing his toys out of the pram as usual? He was using the same supplements as the ones that flagged Magny. That's all he had to say. Instead it was the UFC's fault. And USADA's fault. And waa waa waa.

Did they announce what the substance was. Some Sarm I’m guessing. Whenever it’s a genuine tainted supplement it turns up pretty quickly. Unlike lads clambering for months to find something.
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    In fairness to Nate you'd have to say he played that perfectly, refusing to follow due process and have the possibility of his reputation being tainted by even a provisional suspension before inevitably being cleared, or being named as having been flagged pre-fight at a later date or whatever..

They don’t do provisional suspensions anymore. For that reason. Glad it’s going ahead too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I don't get why these top tier fighters don't have their supplements tested, or better still, have their supplments provided to them by USADA approved vendor.

I guess it's money, but UFC really should be footing the bill.

Surely there's a commercial opportunity there for the UFC too, like Reebok. Surprised they haven't been cynical enough to set one up for that end alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

This might sound ridiculous now but why aren't suppliments banned? If they don't really improve performance then why do fighters bother taking them atall ?

US2 wrote: »
    This might sound ridiculous now but why aren't suppliments banned? If they don't really improve performance then why do fighters bother taking them atall ?

They are mostly just food in a convenient and easily absorbed form. No reason to ban them from a cheating POV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭The White Feather

President Trump is meant to be going to UFC 244. At least there are meant to be tentative plans for him to be there. I think Masvidal is a fan of him.

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1189203120242462721?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is the baddest mother ****er belt or best mother ****er title. Nate keeps saying best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dave1982 wrote: »
    Is the baddest mother ****er belt or best mother ****er title. Nate keeps saying best

Its whatever the **** Nate wants it to be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dave1982 wrote: »

Its cringing either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The Nal wrote: »
    Its cringing either way.

Yeah it's gone too main stream I think.. The rock is holding a special presser at MSG to make a announcement this weekend too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its suppose to be a professional sport, the BMF belt must be joke,

Where is the UFC going with it ?
    For example if who ever wins gets called out by a wet blanket will they let a wet blanket fight for it who just lays on someone ?

What does the champion think ? is it because Dana hates Usman and Coby that he's made another belt for the fan favourites ?

It's total mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I see it as just a bit of fun. We should embrace it as MMA fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement