Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the ads during a film on RTÉ in 1984.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

phonypony wrote: »
    I love the apres-match style ads!

They're gas aren't they! Just shows that the Apres Match ads are not exaggerated at all - as I had always assumed - but actually extremely accurate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The dog ad had me in ribbons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The dog ad had me in ribbons

Ah but you're biased with that name lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Anyone remember this haunting but very well shot Eagle Star advert from the early 90's. Always remembered the face of the little girl looking up at the building at the end.

I thought I didn't remember it but yeah, the girl at the end, that rang a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

_Dara_ wrote: »

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

That ad is a work of art... even with a young Alan Hughes in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

B0jangles wrote: »
    ySoY8BA.jpg

'Village of the Damned - The Pets"

trumpkids.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Wow a vienetta used to be sold as the absolute height of luxury.
    Now we all know how crap it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

That ad is a work of art... even with a young Alan Hughes in it.
    The Mother must be well dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

"Don't drink and drive...but if you insist, remember the rule: No more than two!" is actual advice given in one of the ads. :eek:

Drink_Driving70s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

O Fortuna was used in Only Fools whenever Rodney looked at Damien, who was named after the kid in The Omen. I reckon this has led to a lot of confusion about it being in the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I think it was used in Oliver Stones the Doors too in one scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think it was used in Oliver Stones the Doors too in one scene.

Aye. The drug montage I think.

Brilliant. Remember, don’t smoke in bed. Happy Christmas to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Drink_Driving70s.jpg
    Good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    On the Drink-Driving ad, I'm sure there used to be an ad campaign that actually said something to the effect of "Don't have that 6th pint"! Back in the 60s maybe... anyone confirm or deny??

That'll be running on Radio Kerry next week if the Healy-Raes get their way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

topper75 wrote: »
    I love that knowing look that Bonzo gives the camera at the end.
    Sort of... "My secret life, my business, nothing to do with them, so f3ck 'em".

I had completely forgotten that dog ad.

simpsons-shifty-dog-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Except for the still adds with voiceovers it didn’t seem all that different than today. And don’t we still get still ads in the cinema.

Price of foood though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It’s all the more melancholy because in that era people were gone for good, except for occasional Christmases.

The other thing I wonder is why that house has better appliances and controls than I do 30 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Anybody have a link to the old bulmers ad from the early nineties? It was all sepia toned with scences of cider vats and trees.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Anybody have a link to the old bulmers ad from the early nineties? It was all sepia toned with scences of cider vats and trees.

I liked those Bulmers ads until they ruined them with those wretched sub- Killinaskully mini storylines featuring a bunch of wildly overacting gobshytes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

TV Sponger makes an appearance here. He used to creep me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wheety wrote: »
    O Fortuna was used in Only Fools whenever Rodney looked at Damien, who was named after the kid in The Omen. I reckon this has led to a lot of confusion about it being in the movie.

If i'm not mistaking the music is by Carl Orff, Carmina Burana

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There should have been a sequel version to this ad with Alan Hughes being driven back to the Train Station by the father after the Christmas in crappy January weather with a song like Radiohead's 'Exit Music For a Film' playing on the radio. Would sum up the 'back to reality' mood post-Christmas.

It could be intercut with the station master switching on lights, working traffic signals all thanks to the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

valoren wrote: »
    It could be intercut with the station master switching on lights, working traffic signals all thanks to the ESB.

"Feeling suicidal? Use your mains powered hairdryer and let a nice warm immersion heated bath sort it all out for you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Also, is that Sylvester Stallone in the film still? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Also, is that Sylvester Stallone in the film still? :eek:

Yes, he was in that movie Escape To Victory alongside Pele and a bunch of real life footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Aww I don't remember any of these ads, I was born in 88 though so maybe that's why. I notice a distinct lack of toy ads compared to now, especially as it was coming up to Christmas at the time. It mainly seems to be food and booze, no tech either but the reason there is pretty obvious. The no smoking in bed and the no more than two drinks ads are quite amusing :p

Actually this reminds me that I hardly ever even see ads anymore, I usually watch Netflix or download so I don't watch TV that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

back in the day when all we had was two channels (well those of us in culchie-land)....maybe we're were more content with that??? what'd ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Alan Hughes’ Ma’s bill must have been through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

frosty123 wrote: »
    back in the day when all we had was two channels (well those of us in culchie-land)....maybe we're were more content with that??? what'd ya think?

Advertisement