Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the ads during a film on RTÉ in 1984.

Options
  • 12-12-2017 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Came across this on YouTube. I AM ENTERTAINED! Watch it to the end if you can.

The first two ads are very familiar to me, despite me being born in 1983 so they must have been shown throughout the 80s. The second used to terrify me but thankfully didn't make me fear dogs.

The droll voiceover paired with the photograph at 02:38 genuinely made me LOL.

"Don't drink and drive...but if you insist, remember the rule: No more than two!" is actual advice given in one of the ads. :eek:

It's an interesting snapshot of Ireland 30ish years ago - the focus is on religion, agricultural and booze. I wonder who thought to record this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I love that knowing look that Bonzo gives the camera at the end.
    Sort of... "My secret life, my business, nothing to do with them, so f3ck 'em".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I started reading the OP but had a sudden urge to go and make a cuppa or start flicking onto other threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Bonzo need a good kick in the swiss.

Yer wan in the old spice ad would get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Bonzo need a good kick in the swiss.

Yer wan in the old spice ad would get it

Noticeably more money went into the Old Spice than any other on the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Noticeably more money went into the Old Spice than any other on the video.

They used the same - or similar - music in the Omen and the advert scared the sh1te outta me for years!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Came across this on YouTube. I AM ENTERTAINED! Watch it to the end if you can.

The first two ads are very familiar to me, despite me being born in 1983 so they must have been shown throughout the 80s. The second used to terrify me but thankfully didn't make me fear dogs.

The droll voiceover paired with the photograph at 02:38 genuinely made me LOL.

"Don't drink and drive...but if you insist, remember the rule: No more than two!" is actual advice given in one of the ads. :eek:

It's an interesting snapshot of Ireland 30ish years ago - the focus is on religion, agricultural and booze. I wonder who thought to record this?

I remember watching that same screening of Escape To Victory so I probably saw this original ad break. The Bonzo the dog one is an Irish safety advert classic up there with Where's Grandad?. The Old Spice advert ran for years, I'm sure it actually dates from circa late 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

They used the same - or similar - music in the Omen and the advert scared the sh1te outta me for years!!!!

Memory is a funny thing. O Fortuna (the Old Spice ad) and Ave Satani (from The Omen) really don't sound anything like each other (other than that they both have a choral arrangement). Google them and have a listen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I was born in 1984 but remember a few of those ads, in particular the dog one. I grew up on a farm with pet lambs and it traumatised me! I hated the thoughts that our poor oul sheep would be attacked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Look at the size a tin of roses used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Farm animals were our number one resource back in the day and had to be protected at all cost!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Jesus Christ the absolute CRAP people were fed!

Every 3rd or 4th ad was for booze.
    My Dog could be going out to Kill sheep
    Religious ****e.
    Quinnsworth!!!!!!
    Magic Cooking Bags...
    Land Lease...

Some of the voices on the ad's are still active today mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Go to 4.56 and be really quite surprised at the price of veg.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember watching that same screening of Escape To Victory so I probably saw this original ad break.

A few people in the comments have said they remember it too. It's so hard to believe these days that sitting around the telly was much more of an event back in the day.

grahambo wrote: »
    Magic Cooking Bags...

Magic cooking bags are AMAZING in any era. :p

Religious ****e.
    Quinnsworth!!!!!!
    Magic Cooking Bags...
    Land Lease...

What's changed? Endless ads for cars or holidays people can barely afford and a slight update to a gadget that you already bought many times over already. And still plenty of booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Religious ****e.
    Quinnsworth!!!!!!
    Magic Cooking Bags...
    Land Lease...

And after all them Don't drink and drive...but if you insist not more than two!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yeah, those ads ran for years, even into the early 90's I think. A lot of the UK ads were similar - the Shake n'Vac advert ran for nearly ten years between 1980 and 1989. Similar too for the Yellow pages adverts.

Anyone remember this haunting but very well shot Eagle Star advert from the early 90's. Always remembered the face of the little girl looking up at the building at the end.

Plopsu wrote: »
    Memory is a funny thing. O Fortuna (the Old Spice ad) and Ave Satani (from The Omen) really don't sound anything like each other (other than that they both have a choral arrangement). Google them and have a listen.

I'm heading for 48, I'm probably forgetting lots!

Thanks for the heads up, will take a listen later!!

The Old Spice theme, or whatever it's really called, was in the movie Excalibur, as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember Maurice Pratt? He was all over RTE ad breaks in the 80's. How this one has managed to escape George Lucas lawyers notice I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm beginning to think the whole "ads used to be so, so much better" line of thinking is a little flawed! :eek:

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think the whole "ads used to be so, so much better" line of thinking is a little flawed! :eek:

I don't know, I like the straighforwardness of some of them - like the milk tray man just wants you to know that there is a chocolate called Milk Tray and people usually like to eat chocolate.

None of this market analysis, lets-sift-the-focus-groups-poo-for-data, psychological manipulation stuff.

Cooking a turkey? Why not cook it in a bag? Less meat goes missing if you do!*

*Because sneaky feckers can't grab bits out of the oven

ySoY8BA.jpg

'Village of the Damned - The Pets"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

On the Drink-Driving ad, I'm sure there used to be an ad campaign that actually said something to the effect of "Don't have that 6th pint"! Back in the 60s maybe... anyone confirm or deny??

B0jangles wrote: »
    ySoY8BA.jpg

'Village of the Damned - The Pets"

f**k's sake that cat is posessed!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    On the Drink-Driving ad, I'm sure there used to be an ad campaign that actually said something to the effect of "Don't have that 6th pint"! Back in the 60s maybe... anyone confirm or deny??

Actually, nevermind, it was a joke apparently :o

http://entertainment.ie/trending/news/Is-this-really-a-drink-driving-ad-from-the-70s-saying-the-FIFTH-pint-is-one-too-many/324132.htm

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

My favourite ad of the era. A perfect pairing of lyrics and imagery. I like the melancholic feel of it too, I think a lot of people feel that way at Christmas. Dusty's voice is just sex too. Ain't no John Lewis ad got anything on this.

Now am crying!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

darkdubh wrote: »
    Remember Maurice Pratt? He was all over RTE ad breaks in the 80's. How this one has managed to escape George Lucas lawyers notice I'll never know.

George Lucas? But that's clearly Chad Vader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I love the apres-match style ads!

Advertisement