Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not the usual clamping thread

Options
  • 12-12-2017 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was clamped by NCPS on private property yesterday. I was visiting a friend who lives in an apartment block and I parked in a space reserved for another apartment but they have no car. Im pretty sure of my rights with regards unauthorised clampers so I took off my wheel and dropped the balljoint from the lower arm and slid the chain off. No cutting or damage to the car or clamp. The NCPS van pulled up just as I was tightening my wheel nuts back up. I told the guy the the clamp wasn't damaged. He didn't get out of the van, he just told me that I'd have to return it to their Dublin HQ address, took a sneaky photo of me on his phone and drove off. What am I supposed to do with this thing? Is it my responsibility or not to return it, especially when their guy was there? What was the point of what he did, could he claim that I stole the clamp or something?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Drop it into a garda stn.
    Property found., get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Next time you visit your friend and park in an unauthorised place stick the clamp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You have no responsibility to deliver it to them.

Send the company an email and tell them that it is available for collection by arrangement and that you will keep it for 30 days, after which point you will assume they do not want it back and it will be disposed of.

You already made one attempt to return it to the van driver, make that clear in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tzardine wrote: »

Send the company an email and tell them that it is available for collection by arrangement and that you will keep it for 30 days, after which point you will assume they do not want it back and it will be disposed of.

You already made one attempt to return it to the van driver, make that clear in the email.

There is a thread here somewhere where a chap had a bit of Craic over contacting them telling them he had their clamp and would be charging storage etc. They eventually said case closed. Might be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Don't forget to include how much the storage fee is...
    mickdw wrote: »
    There is a thread here somewhere where a chap had a bit of Craic over contacting them telling them he had their clamp and would be charging storage etc. They eventually said case closed. Might be worth a read.

Ninja'ed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Tell them you're charging them a tenner for every day it's in storage, and also a disposal fee if they don't collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 munkyldn

Update to this, An Garda Siochana have showed up to my parents address ( where the car is registered to) and told me over the phone that the employee has put in a statement claiming theft of the clamp. The guard advised that I return the clamp along with the declamping fee or face a summons for theft. What can I do here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Why did you take the clamp with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

munkyldn wrote: »
    Update to this, An Garda Siochana have showed up to my parents address ( where the car is registered to) and told me over the phone that the employee has put in a statement claiming theft of the clamp. The guard advised that I return the clamp along with the declamping fee or face a summons for theft. What can I do here?

Do what your told. Not worth the hardship with the gardai.

Maybe im wrong but i perfer to fly under the radar where they are concerned

Thats what the NCPS guy said to do cos he wouldn't accept it back. I know now that I shouldn't have listened to him and it was a f**k up on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Ha, the brazen cheek of them. And I don't know what the Garda is playing at telling you to pay the declamping fee.

They are claiming theft of property. You're countering saying that you have the clamp (undamaged) and attempted to give it back to them but they refused. Tell the Garda you are more than happy to return their property in it's undamaged state as you didn't want it in the first place. They get their clamp back - case closed. No need for the 'fee' ffs.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Ha, the brazen cheek of them. And I don't know what the Garda is playing at telling you to pay the declamping fee.

They are claiming theft of property. You're countering saying that you have the clamp (undamaged) and attempted to give it back to them but they refused. Tell the Garda you are more than happy to return their property in it's undamaged state as you didn't want it in the first place. They get their clamp back - case closed. No need for the 'fee' ffs.

Exactly, its a "declamping fee". I didn't need their services to declamp so why would I pay it?

Think I will now to prevent this blowing up much more though :(

Exactly, its a "declamping fee". I didn't need their services to declamp so why would I pay it?

Think I will now to prevent this blowing up much more though :(

I'd be tempted to call into your local station with the clamp and speak to a different Garda - just in case the other one who originally dealt with you knows somebody.

Most Gardai are sane, rational people. If you explain what happened (especially that you tried to give them the clamp there and then - they refused to take it - and then they subsequently reported it stolen) I can't see how things won't go your way. If anything, the Gardai should be pursuing them for wasting their time with thise kinds of shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

No point tbh. The guard told me that the NCPS guy would only withdraw the statement if they got the clamp back with the €120 Euro and I’ve to show the receipt to the garda. Pretty screwed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No point tbh. The guard told me that the NCPS guy would only withdraw the statement if they got the clamp back with the €120 Euro and I’ve to show the receipt to the garda. Pretty screwed I think.
    You are in your ***. Talk to the station superintendent. The Garda is trying to enforce a civil dispute with threat of criminal punishment.

Email NCPS asking them where you can drop in the clamp (locally) so you've proof of trying to return their property.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You are in your ***. Talk to the station superintendent. The Garda is trying to enforce a civil dispute with threat of criminal punishment.

Email NCPS asking them where you can drop in the clamp (locally) so you've proof of trying to return their property.

This. A million times this. NCPS are acting disgracefully, and trying to use bullying and intimidation. Worse still, they seem to have a Garda going aloing with it.

They attached their property to yours. You removed it and tried to give it back. There is no grounds for theft. Emailing offering to return the clamp is an extremely good shout.

The €120 has NOTHING to do with it. The Garda should know that. Please don't give in to this kind of scumbaggery and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is unbelievable codology, the guard telling you to pay the fee to NCPS. Their statement wouldn't hold any water once the clamp has been returned to them, just make sure you have proof that they got it back or else they could sneakily quietly pretend they didn't get it back.

no way,
    as you said yourself its a removal fee you didnt need.

If I walked up to you on the street and handed you an invoice for 120e for nothing would the gards make you pay it?
    I dont think so and its the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I was clamped by NCPS on private property yesterday. I was visiting a friend who lives in an apartment block and I parked in a space reserved for another apartment but they have no car. Im pretty sure of my rights with regards unauthorised clampers so I took off my wheel and dropped the balljoint from the lower arm and slid the chain off. No cutting or damage to the car or clamp. The NCPS van pulled up just as I was tightening my wheel nuts back up. I told the guy the the clamp wasn't damaged. He didn't get out of the van, he just told me that I'd have to return it to their Dublin HQ address, took a sneaky photo of me on his phone and drove off. What am I supposed to do with this thing? Is it my responsibility or not to return it, especially when their guy was there? What was the point of what he did, could he claim that I stole the clamp or something?

How did you take the wheel off with a clamp on it ? to a layman dropping the balljoint from the lower arm sounds like a garage job rather than a parking spot diy job....sorry just curious

How did you take the wheel off with a clamp on it ? to a layman dropping the balljoint from the lower arm sounds like a garage job rather than a parking spot diy job....sorry just curious

There’s plenty of space to get to the wheel nuts so it’s very easy to remove the wheel. The chain is looped around the wishbone/lower arm. From there there’s 3 bolts holding the balljoint to the arm. Remove those and the chain slides off. Literally 20 min job and that’s only cos I was taking photos and messing about on my phone.

This is unbelievable codology, the guard telling you to pay the fee to NCPS. Their statement wouldn't hold any water once the clamp has been returned to them, just make sure you have proof that they got it back or else they could sneakily quietly pretend they didn't get it back.

I know guys, this is ridiculous and it makes me sick. But the facts are this guy took a photo of me in possession of the clamp, made a statement to the garda that I stole the clamp and I’m in possession of the clamp until I can return it. I think it’s pretty sealed up against me. I don’t want a conviction over €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know guys, this is ridiculous and it makes me sick. But the facts are this guy took a photo of me in possession of the clamp, made a statement to the garda that I stole the clamp and I’m in possession of the clamp until I can return it. I think it’s pretty sealed up against me. I don’t want a conviction over €120.

You "stealing" the clamp has nothing to do with the de-clamp fee, thats what everyone is trying to tell you.

Tell the garda that you have already attempted to return the clamp to the owner and they refused it.
    Send an email or registered letter to the owners stating that you have already attempted to return it and where/how they can retrieve it.

Absolutely do not pay a declamp fee....you did not avail of any such service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

While you are at it contact a solicitor for defamation, as they have told a third party (gardai) that you have stolen when its a lie. Sue ncps and get justice for all!

GreeBo wrote: »
    You "stealing" the clamp has nothing to do with the de-clamp fee, thats what everyone is trying to tell you.

Tell the garda that you have already attempted to return the clamp to the owner and they refused it.
    Send an email or registered letter to the owners stating that you have already attempted to return it and where/how they can retrieve it.

Absolutely do not pay a declamp fee....you did not avail of any such service.

Believe me, I’m fully aware of that fact, I also just want this done and over with from the point when the gardai showed up at my parents address.

Just gonna chalk this one up to NCPS and their underhand ways :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Believe me, I’m fully aware of that fact, I also just want this done and over with from the point when the gardai showed up at my parents address.

Just gonna chalk this one up to NCPS and their underhand ways :(

You’re letting them win? There is no way in hell you’ll be convicted of anything here, you need to talk to a higher ranked Garda.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'd be putting in a counter claim that the clamper touched your property without your authorization and caused damage to the car as a result of placing the clamp. I'm curious if it would be easier to pick the locks on these than to remove the clamp the way the OP did?

Brian? wrote: »
    You’re letting them win? There is no way in hell you’ll be convicted of anything here, you need to talk to a higher ranked Garda.

This time, for the sake of having garda cars call to my parents house I will, they won’t next time.

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    I'd be putting in a counter claim that the clamper touched your property without your authorization and caused damage to the car as a result of placing the clamp. I'm curious if it would be easier to pick the locks on these than to remove the clamp the way the OP did?

It’d deffo take longer to learn that than to remove 8 bolts haha

Advertisement