Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not the usual clamping thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭1874

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    kingtut wrote: »
    If it was me and someone parked in my spot (although in my apartment block there are no assigned spaces) then I'd go to a few neighbours each side to see if I could work out the owner. If not I'd just leave a note on the car letting them know that it was a private parking spot. Each to their own though.

That's a very time consuming and possibly ineffective approach. Do you think the OP has learned a lesson ? I'd say so. He knew it was a space for another apartment - that didn't stop him parking in it. Why would a note make any difference ?
    it is time consuming, I can agree with that part, i have had people block my driveway and it's annoying, at worst people should leave their number in the window when they take a space in apartments as often enough none are assigned , I doubt many blocks have near enough spaces for visitors realistically, and aren't they as likely to be clamped anyway if they visit someone? on top of that, the attitude and behaviour of ncps is appalling here.
    I'd suspect even if there was an agreement with the owner of the space, someone or a visitor would get clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Absolutely. This is an irrefutable point

Irrefutable you say? That must be why vehicle clamping is on private land is banned in the UK.

If you have an issue, leave a note. If the issue persists, call in the clampers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Schorpio wrote: »
    Irrefutable you say? That must be why vehicle clamping is on private land is banned in the UK.

If you have an issue, leave a note. If the issue persists, call in the clampers.

You aren't really making any point there you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You aren't really making any point there you know.

Okay then, I'll spell it out.

If clamping is such a great deterrent, and is a genuine solution to keeping the parking situation around housing/apartments under control, then the UK wouldn't have banned it. But instead they have, because it's a semi-regulated, for-profit industry. It's incentivizing private companies to demand money from individuals. And it's practically unenforceable - as the OP of this thread has so willingly demonstrated by being able to remove the clamp.

As regards my leaving a note point - 9 time out of 10, if somebody has parked in a designated sport, they've either done so by mistake, or will only be a few minutes. Leaving a note tells someone they've been caught, and they aren't likely to park there again. Calling the clampers straight away is just being a d1ck imo. If you've left a note but it happens again - then sure, fire away.

I hope that's clear enough. And anyway, this is all off-topic. Sorry OP.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Okay then, I'll spell it out.

If clamping is such a great deterrent, and is a genuine solution to keeping the parking situation around housing/apartments under control, then the UK wouldn't have banned it. But instead they have, because it's a semi-regulated, for-profit industry. It's incentivizing private companies to demand money from individuals. And it's practically unenforceable - as the OP of this thread has so willingly demonstrated by being able to remove the clamp.

As regards my leaving a note point - 9 time out of 10, if somebody has parked in a designated sport, they've either done so by mistake, or will only be a few minutes. Leaving a note tells someone they've been caught, and they aren't likely to park there again. Calling the clampers straight away is just being a d1ck imo. If you've left a note but it happens again - then sure, fire away.

I hope that's clear enough. And anyway, this is all off-topic. Sorry OP.

Nope it isn't clear at all. You can't compare driving and parking habits between countries. By and large most people are happy with clambers because most people park where they are supposed to. It's fairly simple.

It's seems you are happy enough to call clampers the second time ? This seems rather arbitrary doesn't it considering the points you make re the UK? You seem a bit mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's irrefutable that clamping is far more effective than randomly ringing neighbours doorbells for the offending Individual and leave notes.
    Irrefutable based on all the studies you cited in your post?

I'll leave you with one question, if it was so effective at stopping people, how are they still making money...?

GreeBo wrote: »

I'll leave you with one question, if it was so effective at stopping people, how are they still making money...?

The question is what is more effective stopping rouge parking - clamping or trying to tap and numerous neighbours' doors looking for the offender and putting a note on the car. It's obvious what has the greater impact.

If there were no clampers inconsiderate parking would be out of control. I saw this in my own apt complex before the management company with owners support employed clampers.

Btw I haven't seen 1 car clamped or heard of anyone having issues with people incorrectly parking in there spaces for a couple of years. Notice the correlation ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

GreeBo wrote: »

The question is what is more effective stopping rouge parking - clamping or trying to tap and numerous neighbours' doors looking for the offender and putting a note on the car. It's obvious what has the greater impact.

If there were no clampers inconsiderate parking would be out of control. I saw this in my own apt complex before the management company with owners support employed clampers.

Btw I haven't seen 1 car clamped or heard of anyone having issues with people incorrectly parking in there spaces for a couple of years. Notice the correlation ???
    436175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 munkyldn

....... anyways.

Latest update: emailed NCPS to tell them I had traveled to Dublin and I was calling around to their HQ on Mount street with the clamp to return it on the advice of the clamper and the garda. They replied back and now have told me to return it back to my local garda station in Wexford. The guards didn’t want it when they called around. I never wanted it to begin with, I thought I was following process returning it to dublin and now I can’t even get rid of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

munkyldn wrote: »
    ....... anyways.

Latest update: emailed NCPS to tell them I had traveled to Dublin and I was calling around to their HQ on Mount street with the clamp to return it on the advice of the clamper and the garda. They replied back and now have told me to return it back to my local garda station in Wexford. The guards didn’t want it when they called around. I never wanted it to begin with, I thought I was following process returning it to dublin and now I can’t even get rid of the thing.

It could only have been theft if you had possession of it with the intention to deprive the owner of it. You should seriously consider making a counter complaint that the NCPS employee knowing that you had attempted to return it had made a false claim contrary to section 12 Criminal law Act 1976. See who’s cough gets softened.

Next time, however, don’t park where you’re not supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

This is nothing to do with the Guards and I am surprised they even got involved. Do not under any circumstances pay the clamper thugs a single penny.
    I personally cut the lock off a clamp in a private car park about 3 years ago. I took the clamp home and sold it on eBay for €100. The clampers had my reg. number but I never heard another word about it. I would only recommend doing this for private clamping company's as the official clampers, ie in Dublin city have much more power.
    Do nothing and that will be the end of it.
    Best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

....... anyways.

They have acknowledged its not stolen then by giving you a way to return it. So wouldn't be fretting about legal action. Too right the guards have no interest. Find the chap who took your photo on his rounds and attach it to his car or van (with a different lock with your key)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Is there any CCTV where the clamper came up to you and drove off? Wouldn't he have called the gards there and then instead of driving off? Him driving off shows there was no struggle between him you and clamp. You didn't wrestle it off him and do a runner with it. The situation was calm. Pitty you didn't get your phone out and record something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tell the Guards it's none of their business because you were parked in private property. Sure that's what they tell me when I asked them to remove 3 abandoned cars outside my door, or to come down and tell school parents to get out of my parking space so I don't have to double park my car in the middle of the road to go home...

Also report your man for using his phone behind the wheel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kingtut wrote: »
    Sorry should have added that surely they could have just knocked on the neighbours door and asked for the car to be moved?

Well if it was a one off I'm sure they probably would do that, but I'm sure there are some estates this happens all the time and are you really going to go knocking on doors every time someone takes your space? Bearing in mind the person who owns the house likely paid thousands for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

did the clampers ever take anyone to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Isambard wrote: »
    did the clampers ever take anyone to court?
    A couple of times for criminal damage when the clamp has been cut off. But that was the Gardaí I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Post it by registered post?
    Once they sign for it, it's legally in their possession, and you have proof via their signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Once they sign for it, it's legally in their possession, and you have proof via their signature.

That'll cost you an arm and a leg, they are not light.

At this point I would abandon it and email/registered letter tell the clampers that you have left it where you found it.

Then ignore any further correspondence.

In fact you could argue that they gave you the clamp.
    They attached it to your car and refused your original offer of taking it back.

Chrimbo pressie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wonder how the littering laws apply in this case. if op took off clamp and left it there then they have littered.
    but if in this case the op said that's your clamp take it away , are they littering or the op. probably whoever had dealings with it last (you leaving it there or them refusing to take it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not parking in a space reserved for another apartment. It's fairly basic stuff

Do you not think this is overkill?

From my experience with people parking in reserved parking spots in private residence the most I've seen is just people leaving a note on the car telling them this is a private spot, so they won't do it again, or asking them to move the car.

Never really heard many stories of people actually being clamped for it. OP was there any signs up or anything warning about clamping or towing of cars in other peoples reserved spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

....... anyways.

Probably am wrong, but I'd just show up now at their HQ with the clamp now at this point. Tell them I'm returning it, explain what happened, say have got in contact with garda who want nothing to do with it and then return it, with some proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 munkyldn

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Do you not think this is overkill?

From my experience with people parking in reserved parking spots in private residence the most I've seen is just people leaving a note on the car telling them this is a private spot, so they won't do it again, or asking them to move the car.

Never really heard many stories of people actually being clamped for it. OP was there any signs up or anything warning about clamping or towing of cars in other peoples reserved spots?

Yeah, there were signs up stating that it’s a residents only car park. I’d say my reg wasn’t on a list or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know guys, this is ridiculous and it makes me sick. But the facts are this guy took a photo of me in possession of the clamp, made a statement to the garda that I stole the clamp and I’m in possession of the clamp until I can return it. I think it’s pretty sealed up against me. I don’t want a conviction over €120.

You didn't steal the clamp - NCPS gave it to you, on your wheel. You're minding it in case it gets stolen, and have told them to come & get it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Citypost would be the cheaper option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

find a car that has been clamped

leave your clamp beside the car

job done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Just keep the clamp for when you visit your friend again, leave it against the wheel and when the clampers come along they will think its already been clamped and drive of!!

Or just scan it on a giant printer and keep several copies in your boot, then sellotape one to your wheel when you visit your friend!!:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

TheChizler wrote: »
    A couple of times for criminal damage when the clamp has been cut off. But that was the Gardaí I suppose.

Any backup for this statement??? Or just the urban myth started by the clampers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Advertisement